GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,291
1 members and 2,290 guests
oncegreek

Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm waiting to hear how girls I wrote recs for at UT and South Carolina do!! I just love hearing all of these recruitment results!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernyankee
I love hearing about the girls that are happy! We are so lucky to be in that group as so many weren't!

Not sure if you are still interested since rush is over...but my daughter can't stop talking about how sweet all the girls are! She is so disappointed that she can't wear her letters yet, not until after initiation. Of course, not knowing this...I sent her a huge basket full of Pi Phi stuff...it's gonna have to wait in her room for now. More waiting....
That's how Pi Beta Phi was at AU (maybe it's a national thing). At AU, new members could wear things that said "Pi Phi", "Pi Beta Phi", or the greek Pi Phi. That was so sweet of you to send her a Pi Phi basket, and it will give her something else to look foward to
Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess it goes to show that one chapter of a sorority can be considered the cream of the crop/elite sorority to be in, but at another campus they may not be nearly as successful.

This exact thing happened when I was an undergraduate at a popular southern school. There was a sorority on campus that had been there since sororities were allowed to colonize but they closed in the 90's due to continued low numbers. This is one of the same sororities that is considered "Old Row" in Alabama.

I understand having pride in your sorority, but when it all boils down to it, does being in a "top tier" sorority on campus really have any impact in your life after college? It's not going to help you get a better interest rate on your mortgage, boost your credit rating, isn't going to make your kids any smarter, make your marriage happier and it's not going to make you become a better person. To be honest, if it does matter to someone what tier of sorority you were in 5, 10 or 15 years out of college, than that person has their priorities really skewed...I don't think that St. Peter will be checking sorority membership lists at the gates to the great thereafter!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

loveinzta, that is so interesting that you were not allowed to wear "zta" before you were initiated-when i pledged eons ago, one of the first things we got was a zta jersey-there were no restrictions on us wearing it-well, except that we not wear it to a bar or be seen smoking or drinking in it.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTish
I understand having pride in your sorority, but when it all boils down to it, does being in a "top tier" sorority on campus really have any impact in your life after college? It's not going to help you get a better interest rate on your mortgage, boost your credit rating, isn't going to make your kids any smarter, make your marriage happier and it's not going to make you become a better person. To be honest, if it does matter to someone what tier of sorority you were in 5, 10 or 15 years out of college, than that person has their priorities really skewed...I don't think that St. Peter will be checking sorority membership lists at the gates to the great thereafter!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been lurking around these threads for a few weeks or so and it boggles the mind to think that there are so many wonderful women who would love to be a part of the sorority experience who unfortunately get cut. Yet there are some women who have the "If it's not XYZ, then it's not good enough for me" mentality. I just don't understand it.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernyankee
Not sure if you are still interested since rush is over...but my daughter can't stop talking about how sweet all the girls are! She is so disappointed that she can't wear her letters yet, not until after initiation. Of course, not knowing this...I sent her a huge basket full of Pi Phi stuff...it's gonna have to wait in her room for now. More waiting....

Of course we're interested!!! I'm so happy for your daughter and the wonderful ladies of Pi Beta Phi

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
From what a lot of people have said, if you stay in that same area where you went to school, yes, it can be very important in terms of connections.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
From what a lot of people have said, if you stay in that same area where you went to school, yes, it can be very important in terms of connections.
From a personal experience, the connections I made through alumnae associations opened doors for employment positions. So it may or may not matter if your chapter is what FT called "top-tier". However, if the sorority has a nationally strong reputation, there will be alumnae networking possibilities everywhere.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum
From a personal experience, the connections I made through alumnae associations opened doors for employment positions. So it may or may not matter if your chapter is what FT called "top-tier". However, if the sorority has a nationally strong reputation, there will be alumnae networking possibilities everywhere.
Question then: Has anyone ever run into a situation where when they listed their chapter, their contact decided that the chapter they're from is at a weak school, or a weak chapter, and therefore, doesn't mean anything?? I don't know how to phrase that better. Maybe say you're an XYZ, from BX chapter at Billy Bob U, and the person you're contacting knows that that chapter is always struggling and is totally non-competitive, so they dismiss you even being an XYZ?? I know we don't like to think that our sisters would do that to us, but has anyone ever encountered it?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Important for connections? As in getting a job? I can understand being a member of a sorority or fraternity and using that connection in getting an interview or locating a job opening. However, what I think is absurd is the thought that being a memeber of a "top tier" sorority at State Univeristy is of any importance when it comes to actually getting the job. Yes, being a member of ABC might get you an interview, but I would hope to God that the person conducting the interview would judge you on your experience and educational background, NOT whether you were a member of ABC at State University and your sorority was the coolest and you threw the best parties and your MVP was crowned Miss America in 2005.

I am from Atlanta and I know this is very common in a lot of traditional Southern social circles. Does that make it OK or make the "tier" concept any less shallow? No...I just wish that more people would realize that there is life outside of college and being in the "BEST sorority" in college doesn't insure a lifetime of happiness by any means...

Sorry, I had to vent!!! I'm off my soapbox now!

Last edited by FloridaTish; 08-23-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am from Atlanta and I know this is very common in a lot of traditional Southern social circles. Does that make it OK or make the "tier" concept any less shallow? No...
I don't think it's OK either. I was just pointing it out.

And AF, if the person was well versed in what chapters are boffo and what chapters aren't, I can see it happening - see shinerbock & macallan's posts.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Question then: Has anyone ever run into a situation where when they listed their chapter, their contact decided that the chapter they're from is at a weak school, or a weak chapter, and therefore, doesn't mean anything?? I don't know how to phrase that better. Maybe say you're an XYZ, from BX chapter at Billy Bob U, and the person you're contacting knows that that chapter is always struggling and is totally non-competitive, so they dismiss you even being an XYZ?? I know we don't like to think that our sisters would do that to us, but has anyone ever encountered it?
That's an interesting question. Even during my first years out of college, I just wrote "Member of XYZ Current Area Alumnae Association", not the specific undergraduate chapter. Of course someone could have figured it out since my alma mater was listed under Education.

Last edited by alum; 08-23-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

i would hope that the person would be judged on their own merit, not on the supposed status of their chapter. often, "miss all that and a bag of chips" can be found in the most struggling of chapters.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

just to further the high-jacking of this thread. . .

I don't think the point was that being from a so-called top-tier chapter would get you hired. Being from a group with a strong national/international presence _could_ help in networking/finding out about job openings/finding a mentor in your field.

As young women move around the country and world, a strong alumnae program (lots of alumnae groups in lots of places, an online community where career connections can be made, etc.) can be a big help.

I think alumnae opportunities should be a part of choosing a sorority, but let's face it, most of our collegiate members don't really know yet what being an alumna member really means, so how can that really come through in recruitment?

I must fess up that I am from a Northeast chapter and live in northern California, where sorority affiliations mean nothing (or worse) to the general public. So, take my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I apologize if one of my earlier posts totally hijacked this thread, but...

Quote:
Being from a group with a strong national/international presence could help in networking/finding out about job openings/finding a mentor in your field.
I agree with that sentiment... Being in a sorority can open many doors for you when it comes to job opportunities...after college. I think where this topic started was with the supposed "tiers" that are talked about on certain campuses and how many girls choose to completely drop out of recruitment, because if they couldn't be an XYZ, it wasn't worth it.

What I was pointing out in my original post about this was that it's a shame that many of these girls don't realize is that in the long run, it's really NOT that important. College is about education first and foremost. Yes, socializing is an important aspect of college life, but getting into XYZ should not be your primary focus of why you are going to college in the first place.

If there weren't these tiered rankings that get talked about on certain campuses, many of the smaller chapters would have a chance to grow. They could really show the PNM's that although they might be a smaller chapter, they are wonderful girls who would make just as wonderful sisters (if not better in some cases)...however, these stereotypes are perpetuated not only by campus mythology but also by family members of the PNM's in some cases...

I'm sorry to have gotten way off track on this...It's been a slow day at work!

Last edited by FloridaTish; 08-23-2006 at 02:29 PM.