GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,578
1 members and 1,577 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking In this thread, the writers of GC talk about their projects ...

Last edited by Jen; 08-15-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
So I'm totally discouraged because it seems like such a huge undertaking right now. I am not one who enjoys editing on a good day lol.
Drink heavily.

(I kid.) Good luck!

Quote:
How are YOUR projects going??
Okay, I'll 'fess up. After years (years) of thinking about doing it having ideas knock around in my head, I've finally -- as of a few weeks ago -- started actually writing a book. I've done some short stories in the past, but I'm finally going for a book now.

Anyone have advice for a newb (other than "drink heavily")?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My other tip is to not edit or read what you've written. I can't tell you how many times I got frustrated and wanted to stop because I re-read lol. It's so hard when you're in it to see it accurately, so I recommend just turning off the edit part of your brain. Sometimes writing a lot of stuff (even if it's bad) helps you get to the good stuff.
YESSSSSS.

I am going to try writing something in November. I bought a book yesterday that's called something like "How to write a novel in 30 days."

I have had NO creativity for quite a while now. Part of it is because I have been focused on my day job and a bunch of APO/Alpha volunteering.

But something has got to give. Seriously. I don't even feel like a novelist anymore.

Anyway, I think I am going to try something new to refresh my juices. I'll leave Adrian, Savion, and Isaiah alone for a while and stop trying to continue their stories. I'm going to start interviewing this guy I know and try to get into his head -- not to tell HIS story, but to try to tell a story in a voice other than my own. That is, both of the books I've written so far reflect my style of speech and sense of humor. I need to try to write like someone who hasn't had the advantages that I have.

Hope that doesn't sound condescending. I just need more grit in my writing.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, y'all. Yeah, I can already tell that the urge to constantly edit is going to be very strong and hard to fight. But I know I need to.

The book is actually pretty much plotted out, and my wife is being great about trying to make sure that, between work and family stuff, I get good chunks of time to write. I'll try to set a goal for each day.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of you might have read me mention that I do a bit of acting (nothing huge, some classes, a few indy films and local theatre - I picked it back up after a number of years since studying it in HS/College).

My other love is writing. I've done newspaper reporting, magazine, advertising copywriting, and editing. I've been looking for a niche through which to pursue writing for leisure (and not for someone else), and I have been writing short scripts. Part of writing a script entails writing out the plot, a "treatment", character bios (some quite extensive), and finally, the action and dialogue that appear in what becomes the final version.

I am in the middle of writing for a webseries (we have three episodes written and cast, with two in rehearsals so far), as well as another few one-off "film shorts" (one is written, cast and in rehearsals). Using my acting experience and training has definitely helped me in the script writing process, as well as discussing techniques and methods with some local (but nationally produced) writers and screenwriters. So far, my scripts have been well received, and the actors cast in them have just brought the stories to life.

Writing can be such a personal and excruciating process, but the payoff of someone reading and feeling something as a result of reading it, is an intangible but such an amazing reward.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

hi I find these chat room but i don`t know if you exp to me that can be great thank you bye
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanli12 View Post
hi I find these chat room but i don`t know if you exp to me that can be great thank you bye
Huh??
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanli12 View Post

Maybe the poster is looking to learn how to write...

Old 09-26-2009, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, right now, I'm in grad school working on my Master's [MFA] in Creative Writing and I'm working on a host of poetry projects. Jeeze Louise. There's something new all the time with these classes.

Other than that, I'm still trying to do my freelance writing thing, working on articles, reviews, and such when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for it at the moment, but I'm trying to make it happen. I do enjoy it.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you on the cover design! To be honest, it shouldn't be THAT hard to do a decent cover, but soooo many designers are charging an arm and a leg nowadays.

I've got nothing for you on the writing tip. I have given up for a little while until the other elements of my life get on track.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bumping this up ...

I'm currently stuck on Chapter 17 of a new novel because I can't come up with the right name for a character. It's driving me nuts. I know I could just use a placeholder and come back to it, but every time I try, I just can't move forward writing anything. And it was going so well!

On the good news front, I had a cover designer do a freebie for me and I really like it! My Photoshop skills are strictly 1996 Geocities level, so this was a nice find.
Can I/we help pick a name?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh! I didn't see this thread before.

I'm working on a creative nonfiction piece. It has a September deadline, so I'm not really feeling the pressure yet. I have a few other essays swimming around in my head right now, too.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't write this book, but helped edit it. It's a crazy real life story of a woman who was dumped by text message by her husband and it turned out he had a totally separate life and eventually got arrested for bigamy.
http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-End-Ma.../dp/B008PYPMVK
Old 05-15-2015, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This is kindasorta old/new news, but I contributed to and edited a collection of stories of women educators: http://whythesunrises.tumblr.com/