GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,429
1 members and 1,428 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 05-15-2005, 08:27 PM

None of the blindfolded girls are wearing letters, and there is a Phi Iota Chi (local Bloomsburg sorority) banner in the background - so I have no way of knowing whether the ones in blindfolds have any affiliation with ASA or not. This could be a dual sorority event, those are quite common there.

And as I have stated numerous times before, I have zero problem with anyone drinking in letters. If you think drinking is bad and disgraces your GLO, you shouldn't do it in letters or out of them.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
33girl and AlphaFrog, are blindfolds typically used in your official New Member period?

Yeah, after the catsuits and lingerie....

Seriously, I do have a problem with it b/c our chapter went overboard the other direction, and we still got closed (not for Risk Mgmt, but it still sucks). We wanted to do cool things for Big sis reveal but everything we thought of we thought of SOME reason that it could possibly be hazing.

I'm not going to lie...would I have a problem if they were drinking in a bar in letters as long as they were behaving and NOT posting it on the internet? No. The problem comes for me is that it's at the chapter house and there are pics on the internet.

I've tried to find an email address and I can't. I even went to that chapter's website and I can't find one for any of the girls.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaFrog, you could maybe find the chapter president's or Risk Management Chair's (if ASA has such a position) email through your nationals.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:35 PM

Jess I pmed you

The proper parties have been contacted regarding this website, but thank you all for your concern.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-15-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Discotish, you sure seem to know a lot about this incident? Just curious as to how?
Someone mentioned that they wondered what chapter it was and I saw that in the composite pictures that it was the Bloomsburg University Chapter. They have a chapter website that has all their pledge class information ...

Quote:
MISDEMEANOR, not a FELONY like you said. HUGE difference. 24 PS 5353 is the statute
Thanks for pointing that out..I admit my mistake!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
It's Alpha Chi Rho or Crows NOT AChiRho. If you don't know the proper nickname, don't make one up.
Not to spilt hairs but its AChiRho here @ Penn State. Carry on.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
I saw these pictures online about a year ago. If EO had seen them, they would have taken action by now.
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with this. I know all national offices are different... but whether or not it was determined that the chapter was actually hazing, my org's "powers that be" would put the smackdown on this photo album with a quickness.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

As an ASA alum, I'm a little perturbed (sp) by the fact that Nationals knows about this yet hasn't had them take down the pictures. Having them on a private website is their perogative, but in full view of the public is not a good idea.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but none of those girls seemed to be having a bad time and none of them seemed in danger at any time from the pictures. I don't see how this is an issue.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SirHornyToad
I'm sorry, but none of those girls seemed to be having a bad time and none of them seemed in danger at any time from the pictures. I don't see how this is an issue.
You never do -- and I understand why, and agree with you regarding these particular pictures.

The bottom line is that it's an issue for the ASA Nationals -- and could very well be against the law. Being "in danger" is not necessarily part of the definition of hazing.

Not matter how dumb the law is.

It is safe to bet, though, that if this really is a "hell night" pre-initiation ceremony or whatever, that at least some if not all of the young women shown drinking beer are under age.

That, for sure, is illegal.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ditto. The pics look kind of tame. I was expecting something a little more risque. Maybe a pledge class of 10, 105 lbs naked blonds all lined up with sisters yelling at them telling them how fat they are. Where are those pics at?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

or circleing thier fat...
Old 05-18-2005, 02:49 AM
Banned

You know what would be funny, if a bunch of XO chicks made some banners and stole a Tri-Delt Flag and set it all up in a basement somewhere while having some university's name displayed and then taking pictures while drinking and stripping, too.....and then sent it all in to a local newspaper.

That would be some funny shit.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think it's an issue from the standpoint of having these pics in the public domain. Especially after the year that Greeks have had in the media, I don't know why we'd open up ourselves for more attack (and more consequences). Pics like this just keep sending the message that we don't do all we say we do, hurts our credibility, and gives more power to the arguments of the Alfred Universities of the world (in reference to banning GLOs).

**Notice that it doesn't matter what "really happened"...the fact that there is something like this in the public domain is what hurts. And with everything else that has gone on in the Greek community, it's more difficult for a chapter to prove that it really wasn't hazing or illegal..."it just looks that way."

Bottom line...the internet is not our friend. If your friends decide to do something silly, it's best not to advertise it. Keep it out of the public domain.

PsychTau
Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea, secrecy counts, i think thats the reason things are suppossed to be secret, because some people who don't know anybetter could see something that is completely innocent and cry "hazing" when it is innocent, not that I know for sure if this was innocent or not, but yea... don't take pictures of things that people don't need to see pictures of. Your memory is fine enough and you can always wait till the next pledge class if you really wanna see it again.