GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,468
1 members and 1,467 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Good timing for letters of rec

Should I have my letters of rec mailed before I register for rush? I am coming in as a transfer but do not want to register until I complete my Summer classes and hopefully boost my GPA a little bit. Thank you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamw90 View Post
Should I have my letters of rec mailed before I register for rush? I am coming in as a transfer but do not want to register until I complete my Summer classes and hopefully boost my GPA a little bit. Thank you.

If women are offering to write them, they may have their own schedule (or their group does) so it really isn't up to you, and often GPA on a rec will be cross referenced or checked, as the schools do that. Furthermore as a transfer student, your transcript may not show up and be evaluated before recruitment.

Second, many schools do not compute GPA for summer courses until after recruitment has started. I know this is the case as it is true for my school. What you should do is contact your Greek Life Office (or whoever coordinated recruitment) and see when they check grades for recruitment and pass that information on to the chapters. If you're taking a summer course at the school you want to join a sorority you can find out when grades are computed into your GPA. If you're taking it at your first school you definitely want to get that transcript ordered as I know some schools will not let you enroll, let alone rush, without all of your transcripts received by the appropriate office.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering about this also. Should I send in letters of rec NOW, or is it too early?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janieladie View Post
I was wondering about this also. Should I send in letters of rec NOW, or is it too early?
No, it's actually pushing being too late at some places, actually.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, it's actually pushing being too late at some places, actually.
Woah! I never would have guessed people begin so early! I guess I have a lot to learn about recruitment.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are going through fall recruitment, the time is NOW (or earlier).
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Yes, if you're going to a southern school, you're already pretty far behind at this point.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I know in general terms, you want to get recs in "the earlier the better" or "better late than never". My impression is that the chapter reviews recs over the summer. My friend went to school at Tennessee and I think she went back for pre-recruitment either late July or the first week of August. Is now-ish too late because some chapters review recs before they go home for the summer?

There are 2 girls from my hometown going to the University of South Carolina in the fall. I made them aware that if they want to go through recruitment they'll need recs, and that I can find them alumnae from all 10 chapters from women in town, so they don't need to worry about APH deadlines (not like mine has deadlines anyway because we aren't a rec writing machine). However, they're both "thinking about it". I'm going to stress that they should probably decide soon so I can get the ball rolling for them if need be.

I'm sure every chapter is different in when they review recs, but I didn't realize that now could be too late. Jeez.

ETA: On the South Carolina Greek Life website guidebook and chapter websites, it says to submit all recommendations to the Greek Life Office Attn: (Chapter). Granted, it also said that "it is the responsibilty of the chapters to secure recommendations" and that they are "not required", which we know are lies. I just thought it was weird to send them to the Greek Life Office instead of to the chapters themselves, as I've heard is common at most schools.

Last edited by violetpretty; 05-26-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^I agree - it is weird to submit recs to the Greek Life office. That doesn't make sense. As an alum, I would not send mine there, no matter what they say...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
ETA: On the South Carolina Greek Life website guidebook and chapter websites, it says to submit all recommendations to the Greek Life Office Attn: (Chapter). Granted, it also said that "it is the responsibilty of the chapters to secure recommendations" and that they are "not required", which we know are lies. I just thought it was weird to send them to the Greek Life Office instead of to the chapters themselves, as I've heard is common at most schools.
Maybe there's no one at the sorority houses over the summer getting the mail?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
^^^I agree - it is weird to submit recs to the Greek Life office. That doesn't make sense. As an alum, I would not send mine there, no matter what they say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Maybe there's no one at the sorority houses over the summer getting the mail?
Also if you have a general rec and not an chapter specific rec they'll copy and share with all chapters.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Also if you have a general rec and not an chapter specific rec they'll copy and share with all chapters.
i don't understand what you mean by general rec.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i don't understand what you mean by general rec.
Where you get a letter of recommendation from someone who isn't a member of a particular chapter on campus. They could be Greek or not.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Where you get a letter of recommendation from someone who isn't a member of a particular chapter on campus. They could be Greek or not.
I don't think that type of recommendation would work for a PNM for a University Panhellenic Council sorority.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterDad View Post
I don't think that type of recommendation would work for a PNM for a University Panhellenic Council sorority.
It depends on the school, it's not fulfilling the "every girl must have a rec" rule, but it provides the chapters with information and a positive recommendation of the PNM from an adult. They do exist and yes for "University Panhellenic Council sororities."

Schools that get and expect PNMs to have individual recs for each chapter may not care. YMMV as always. I believe i had a rec from my aunt and my grandma although neither of their chapters were on my campus as well as a family friend or two.

Checked my undergrad's FAQ because I knew they accepted them at the Greek Office:
Quote:
Does my student need a recommendation from a chapter alumni/ae for a fraternity or sorority?

Chapters at SLU welcome recommendations for membership from Greek alumni/ae who are family members, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances. Please note that recommendation letters are not a required part of the recruitment process, and each chapter may give them different consideration. If you would like to send a recommendation, you may contact the chapter directly, or send them to the Department of Student Life:

Last edited by Drolefille; 05-26-2010 at 02:22 PM.