GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,434
0 members and 1,434 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2005, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Athletic Dorms

OK I know that schools aren't allowed to "have athletic dorms" anymore because they don't want athletes to have Special treatment. What do y'all think about this. I kinda think that there should be athletic dorms. Perhaps they shouldn't be any more special than any other dorm..but I think it's a good idea for the teams to live together. I mean people in sororities at fraternities live in these elaborate houses on campus. Is that special treatment?

I know you can say we pay for it. But I mean so do they, kinda. They work and practice very hard to be a part of the athletic program. I think them living together could be for the unity of the tesm. What do y'all think?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Unregistered-

Athletes at my school have always received special treatment. They get to register for classes first, the first pick of parking zones for permits, etc.

When I first started college, Hale Anuenue was the official "athlete dorm". When T and I first started dating, he was one of the new guys, and so it was mandatory that he lived there. It was horrible -- and I didn't see any "team unity" at all. I can't count how many times fights broke out just because they'd get sick of each other.

But then again, that was just my campus. Sure, it'd PROMOTE it, but I never saw it happen.

I see it this way.. most of these people go to class together, they practice twice a day together. Sometimes you just need a timeout from each other, and you can't get that if you have to go home to your teammates.

It was like that for years, and eventually they weeded out the athletes from that dorm and designated it for upperclassman and graduate students.

And don't even get me started on those annoying ass "athlete groupies" that'd be around 24/7. Fucking trifling slutty hoochie mamas.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Hehe I was a basketball groupie in my second year of college. One time me and an ex-friend even traveled with them on a bus to an away game.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a jock dorm way back in my day. Thankfully, it faced away from the main sidewalks on campus. Any female who bravely (or foolishly?) walked by that dorm would get cheered, jeered, heckled, jeckled and harassed. Bad news.

Dee
Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM

We don't have a special dorm just for athletes but there are certain dorms that Residence Services puts most athletes in because they're closer to the athletic facilities than all the others. It's interesting because my friend's dorm is one of them and she's always complaining about the athlete groupies coming in and out at different times of the night.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

And don't even get me started on those annoying ass "athlete groupies" that'd be around 24/7. Fucking trifling slutty hoochie mamas.
Yeah we definitely had those. We called them "Cleat Chasers."
Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

OU's 'jock dorm' is Bud Wilkinson Center, across the street from Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. (Owen Field is actually the name of the field itself within the stadium. Back in my days as an undergrad, it was Astroturf and many OU students went out for a tan at 'Owen Beach' whenever the field wasn't in use.)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
[B]Any female who bravely (or foolishly?) walked by that dorm would get cheered, jeered, heckled, jeckled and harassed. Bad news.
/B]
Then I guess I won't mention making the "walk of shame" right past the athletic dorm dining room at Texas!!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 PM

I loved the fact that I didn't have to live with my teammates. I lived with one girl my freshman year, and wanted to kill her half the time.
No make that all the time.
Just like a few nights after chapter meeting, my one roommate/sister and I had to retreat to our rooms and "de-sister-ize" because I would have killed her. We each needed to seperate and forget about the sorority for the night.

I really enjoyed the fact that I wasn't required to live with either sisters or teammates.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Athletes get plenty

If you look at what the football players who go to a bowl game get, you may not think they deserve more.

The UGA players, at their bowl, each got an Ipod, an X-box, a watch, and clothes.

Some of the other bowls give even more.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 AM
GreekChat Member

The UK men's basketball team has Wildcat Lodge. Its a pretty awesome *cough cough* dorm fixed with: buffet, couple big screens, extra large sofas and chairs for the 7 footers, some digital gadgets so they can watch their previous games, etc. Its pretty awesome. THe only way to get into the lodge is by key code. At all times their is an RA who works the desk, and two non-ahtletic students who also stay in the lodge *so its not discrimminating*.

If the players didn't have the lodge they would be stalked constantly. So I'm glad its there. Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that if I thought giving them money would make them win an NCAA chamionship ..... I'm all about it.

None of the other sporst have dorms like this, or at least not to this extent.

the website says

Wildcat Lodge is located across the street from central campus, practice facilities and the CATS Center
It offers:

* A quiet place to study
* An entertainment room with wide-screen televisions, pool table, Ping-Pong table and much more.
* Daily catered meals

The lodge underwent a $1.4 million renovation completed in August 2000

Strength & Conditioning

* Full-Time strength and conditioning coach for basketball
* Equipment and facility worth $500,000.
* Over 85 different workout stations
* Equipment tailored for basketball athletes
* Comprehensive Program (Full Nutrition Analysis And Complete Conditioning Regimen)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Our baseball team all joined Sig Chi so they could all control where they live. (Ok there is much more to it, but not suitable for posting) Yea they work hard, but so do the rest of the student body, and then you look at the actual revenue brought in by these 'star' teams, and it really isn't as much as you would think, once all is said and done. I really suggest reading Tom Wolfe's new book. It really has a great discussion of the modern American college looking at everything from fraternities to athletic teams and prep school kids. (If your not familiar w/Tom Wolfe, it is social comentary written in a pop fiction manner)
Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think so. For a lot of these students, they are around the team ALL THE TIME as it is. Many of them wake up early, go to practice, go to class, go to practice again, etc. Not to mention all of game day and sometimes the day before (the football team generally rents out hotel rooms for the team the night before a game so they can focus). And for road games, add MORE togetherness. I think some people need somewhere to live where they're away from the team so that they can blow off steam when they're getting annoyed with it or something. Like Sandy said, most of these guys are just already together enough that adding more to it would just annoy them.

And I don't think that you can compare Greek houses to special dorms, since in most cases they're not owned by the university.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Athletes get plenty If you look at what the football players who go to a bowl game get, you may not think they deserve more.

The UGA players, at their bowl, each got an Ipod, an X-box, a watch, and clothes.

Some of the other bowls give even more.
There is a monetary limit to what they receive for being in a bowl. It is the least they can get for making money for their school and conference as bowl games do bring in money.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Joe B. Hall Wildcat Lodge

Quote:
Originally posted by UKDaisy
The UK men's basketball team has Wildcat Lodge. Its a pretty awesome *cough cough* dorm fixed with: buffet, couple big screens, extra large sofas and chairs for the 7 footers, some digital gadgets so they can watch their previous games, etc. Its pretty awesome. THe only way to get into the lodge is by key code. At all times their is an RA who works the desk, and two non-ahtletic students who also stay in the lodge *so its not discrimminating*.

If the players didn't have the lodge they would be stalked constantly. So I'm glad its there. Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that if I thought giving them money would make them win an NCAA chamionship ..... I'm all about it.

None of the other sporst have dorms like this, or at least not to this extent.

the website says

Wildcat Lodge is located across the street from central campus, practice facilities and the CATS Center
It offers:

* A quiet place to study
* An entertainment room with wide-screen televisions, pool table, Ping-Pong table and much more.
* Daily catered meals

The lodge underwent a $1.4 million renovation completed in August 2000

Strength & Conditioning

* Full-Time strength and conditioning coach for basketball
* Equipment and facility worth $500,000.
* Over 85 different workout stations
* Equipment tailored for basketball athletes
* Comprehensive Program (Full Nutrition Analysis And Complete Conditioning Regimen)
Go Cats!