GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,459
2 members and 2,457 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-31-2005, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A group of a certain fraternity new members (who shall remain nameless) serenaded a certain sorority (who shall remain nameless but was not Gamma Phi) naked and set their own pubic hair on fire while they were there. Dumbasses. *lol* It was about 2 a.m. and they were drunk to say the least!

It's true... *lol* but needless to say did not make a good impression.
Haha... I'd have to say that what those boys did was stupid to say the lease... however, sometimes girls think stuff like that is funny... for example...

One fraternity here at Mizzou goes streaking through the front yard of every sorority... sometimes during serenades, etc. (It didn't happen to us because they knew better... our house mother WOULD NOT have had that!! ) Anyways, a lot of the girls looked forward to it...

Personally, I preferred the boys with guitars singing to us and the boys dressed up as some of our Kappas...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM

I always loved when Pi Kappa Phis were pledging, because one Thur night the pledges would walk around and sing the sweetheart song (all i remember is something about a rose) to pretty much every single girl they saw. They all had matching clothes on and got down on one knee- too cute!!!

I only remember that frosh and soph years...maybe they stopped or maybe it was just because I lived on a different part of campus jr and sr year.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by summer_gphib
A group of a certain fraternity new members (who shall remain nameless) serenaded a certain sorority (who shall remain nameless but was not Gamma Phi) naked and set their own pubic hair on fire while they were there.
Quote:
You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain;
Too much love drives a man insane;
You broke my will, oh what a thrill;
Goodness gracious great balls of fire.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The pledge class of the fraternities comes during row walks (on Monday nights) and serenades the sororities. They usually give roses to our house mother, president, and often social chair.

It's so sweet! They almost always match, and often someone plays the guitar.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Since we pair up for homecoming, the spring pledges of the fraternity have to organize and plan and go to the chapter meeting of the sorority they're inviting to do HC with them and serenade them. Most of the time, it's fixed up oldies that put the name of the fraternity and sorority in it together. All of our exec's got flowers handed to them personally, and then a basket of roses got passed around the chapter (too many girls to hand out individually!) It's a really cute, really sweet thing for the guys to do, all of us girls love it, and it's funny to see the new pledges do.

Oh, and at another school I know, all the new fall pledges of a sorority, within the first week of pledging (it's a designated day, but I don't know which) go to each fraternity house and sing to them. Occasionally the fraternities sing back, but it's kind of like a "hello, we're new!" kinda thing.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

We're the only chapter, that I know of, on our campus that serenades the sororities each winter. We visit each sorority house (there are only 9) and sing two Beta songs and one Christmas song. The last two years we brought roses with us to give to their house moms. It usually gets pretty good responses from the girls. They typically cram into their chapter room or on their staircases and stare at us all stary-eyed.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

The GLOs at Iowa State serenade for a variety of reasons:

- For Homecoming/Greek Week/Varieties/VEISHEA pairings (these are usually rather intricate with skits, props and popular songs rewritten for the specific event. For two events the women serenade the men, for the other two the men serenade the women.) The accepting group then had to turn around and create a return serenade formally accepting the pairing.

- For formals and/or date parties. We would get all dressed up, usually in black dresses, and go around to the different fraternities who had invites from girls. After we sang our songs, the guys would have to go through the line and kiss each girl on the cheek to get his invite.

- On Bid Day. The fraternities usually came around and sang to the new pledge classes. Some were cute, some were funny and some you just felt so sorry for (because it was mid August and you could tell they'd been out and about singing for a while).

- For holidays, Founders Days or other special events. There were usually only two or three fraternities who did this.

- To present New Initiates. Some fraternities would come around with everyone dressed up and sing to present their new active members.

Serenading was such a big part of the Greek Community, I hope its a tradition that doesn't die out.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

ECUJacob.... I hate to tell you that you are not the only group to serenade. Although definately the classiest, although I only saw you guys sing once. The other groups usually sing at the pref social... but it is cute...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ECUJacob.... I hate to tell you that you are not the only group to serenade.

I did say:

Quote:
We're the only chapter, that I know of, on our campus that serenades the sororities each winter .
What group were you with?

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Jacob... I am old...but I believe you are in my class (MBA program).
The only time I got to hear you guys sing was the first (or maybe the second) semester you were on campus... I graduated in 03. but it was super cute...
Betas are definately the most gentlemanly on campus
Old 12-02-2005, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USCTKE
Quote:
A group of a certain fraternity new members (who shall remain nameless) serenaded a certain sorority (who shall remain nameless but was not Gamma Phi) naked and set their own pubic hair on fire while they were there. Dumbasses. *lol* It was about 2 a.m. and they were drunk to say the least!
always nice to make asses out of your self as new members...but how drunk do you have to be to do that
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We have serenades fairly often.

When we get a new pledge class, usually a fraternity or two will come and serenade them, and then the whole soroity sings back. And yes, many times they are "bawdy" songs.

The all men's accapella group comes around serenading a lot. They are EXTREMELY popular on campus and really good, so they will always do requests as well as a planned song or two.

Finally, sometimes you just serenade to serenade. The tipsy boys at parties who set a gril or two on their knees, and sing a song or two are always the best.

Mostly, we use serenades as a way to say "hey what's up" to another chapter.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

back in the day, most fraternities at fl. state would serenade . fellas, it is an easy way to impress the ladies!! our most memorable serenade was from the phi taus. one of their members was running for homecoming chief, and the whole chapter went around to each sorority house and serenaded(in harmony) with beach boys songs, changing the words to include "phi kappa tau" and the sororities name. for instance, california girls, was zeta girls, and east coast girls were thetas, the southern girls were some other sorority, etc. very cute, and he got our vote!!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigkappanda
we don't have seranades persay... but we do something a little different. all the sorority pledge classes change a pop song and use lyrics that pertain to their new sisters. they also come up with a dance to go with it. then, at the pledge class' first mixer (or two), they perform in front of their sisters and the brothers of the house they're mixing with. it's all in good fun and provides lots of great film footage!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
I grew up in a small southern college town. The Sigma Chi house was located just a few blocks down from our home.

When I was ten, while my older biological brother was an undergrad, the chapter decided to go all out for the All Campus Sing festival that spring.

At the time the chapter didn't have a piano, so my brother asked my Mother - who is a Sigma Sigma Sigma - if it would be ok to 'borrow' our piano (it was an upright) and take it down the street to the chapter house. My Mother reluctantly agreed. After all, she knew what it meant to be Greek.

Because my Mother had agreed to help, the chapter decided to do something special for her. My brother enlisted me and my next oldest brother (who also became a Sig) to be sure that our Mother would be home when they came for the piano.

Why...?

Well, when the night came to pick up the piano, the whole chapter quietly assembled outside our home and began to serenade our Mother.

Side note: We also lived across from a woman's dorm and we could see all the lights coming on in the rooms with the girls lining up to see what was going on. They were all very much moved.

Once our Mother heard the singing, she went to our front door and quickly realized what was going on. I remember to this day how touched she was. And when the chapter sang "The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi" to her, tears sprang to her eyes.

After they were done, each member came in and paid their respects to my Mother and presented her with a bouquet of flowers.

Then they gently - or so we were told - took the piano down to the chapter house.

Postscript: The chapter won All Campus Sing that year, and for many more years to come.

Postscript 2: After that, 'the boys' - as my Mother called 'her' Sigs - were allowed to borrow the piano every year until the chapter purchased their own. She was so won over that one year - shortly thereafter - she allowed the chapter to use her grandmother's china for parents' weekend. Before hand, she instructed the chapter on proper manners and etiquette. And of course she was present for the event to 'officially' help. Yet in reality she was there to be sure that nothing happened to her grandmother's china.

I guess you could say that while my brothers were with the chapter, she sort of became an unofficial 'house mom' for the chapter. All because of a night of serenading.
That is so sweet and touching.