GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,242
1 members and 1,241 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-23-2002, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Best/Worst Wedding Gifts according to the Mrs.

Brides (New and Old) please share some of the BEST and WORST wedding gifts you have received. We are in the PEAK wedding season, thus this thread will assist those who have to buy gifts in the future.

Questions: Are those registries really worth it? Do you actually receive the gifts you have chosen for the registry?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2002, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I got married 8 years ago and I had two registries (one at Tiffany's and one at Service Merchandise) - it allowed folks around the country to buy gifts and I knew everyone couldn't go to Tiffany's so I got practical stuff from Service Merchandise - I got practically everything I wanted so I was VERY happy. The best gift I got was a washer and dryer from my bridal party - a huge surprise but something we really needed and still use today!! I can't say I had a "worst" gift but I did get a ton of tea pots at my shower, about 6!! I used a couple of them because they fit my color scheme but donated the rest to a womens shelter for women moving out on their own!!
Old 06-23-2002, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
Humh...the best wedding gift I got was from my mother. She gave me a big whopping check.

I planned my wedding in a few months, hoping to pay the balances using my tax refund. Well, somebody at H&R Block put my info in the wrong spot, and it was just sitting there until some manager found it. By that time, there was no way it could get back to me in time to pay for everything. I was distraught. But,my moms came through and paid for everything (called it a wedding gift).

The worse gift was from my in-laws.....nothing. I think that was their way of silently rebelling against the idea of me marrying their son.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face You won't believe this one...

My ex-husband's mother gave us one pillow for our wedding...Yes, one pillow. We registered for two pillows because there were two of us...but she purposely gave us one pillow for her precious baby boy's head!

I should have known then!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss. Mocha
Humh...the best wedding gift I got was from my mother. She gave me a big whopping check.

I planned my wedding in a few months, hoping to pay the balances using my tax refund. Well, somebody at H&R Block put my info in the wrong spot, and it was just sitting there until some manager found it. By that time, there was no way it could get back to me in time to pay for everything. I was distraught. But,my moms came through and paid for everything (called it a wedding gift).

The worse gift was from my in-laws.....nothing. I think that was their way of silently rebelling against the idea of me marrying their son.
Well I hope that your in-laws have now come to the realization that you are now a part of their family and they just have to deal with it. As long as your husband treats you the way you deserve to be treated, then just keep on living

I'm engaged to be married and I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to me.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

this is why we can't progress as a people!!!!!

i received 5 picture frames, NONE OF WHICH I REGISTERED. the good thing was that they were all nice but the point is that folks did not heed my registries. i registered at williams-sonoma, target and macy's assuming that with the variety of people coming everyone could have purchased something no matter what their budget was. so brides to be, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU RECEIVE GIFTS NOT ON YOUR REGISTRY. my girlfriend said that WEST INDIAN folks don't follow registries, however, i didn't have all west indians at my wedding so i don't know if its strictly island folks that are like that. c'est la vie.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking back 9 years...

Best - Money (checks)
Worst - Two of them bounced

Best - a money tree
Worst - a big green ceramic bowl w/ pears on it
Old 06-24-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Wedding gifts...

Best...Money for DP for a house. Yipeeeee!!!

Worst...From my husbands entire family. (Mother, 4 sis/bro's, 5 aunts, 1 uncle, 20 cousins). Close your eyes..........What do you see?!?!?!?

Well that is what I got. Not a DAYUM thing!!!

We got married at the courthouse and had a semi-casual reception. They came with nothing and left with plates...
Old 06-24-2002, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Wedding gifts...

Quote:
Originally posted by HopefulProspective
They came with nothing and left with plates...
CTFU @ Hopeful's Inlaws!!

Girl, that was too funny for me!!
Old 06-24-2002, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

CTFU at HopefulPerspective.

Best - The money!!!

Worst - I can't think of anything that I didn't like.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
Thinking back 9 years...

Best - Money (checks)
Worst - Two of them bounced

That is trifling written all over it
Old 06-25-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

my best gift was money of course.....
my worst gift was a coupon for a trip to Jamaica from one of my co-workers....(by one get one free)
Is that bad?

However, at my bridal shower I received a big fat metal letter G for my soon-to-be last name....no other letters just G oh by the way it is yellow with a floral design on it .....I can't seem to lose it!

Need something old......G?
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU RECEIVE GIFTS NOT ON YOUR REGISTRY. my girlfriend said that WEST INDIAN folks don't follow registries, however, i didn't have all west indians at my wedding so i don't know if its strictly island folks that are like that. c'est la vie.
__________________________________________________ __

Darling1, that is somewhat true. I'm not married, but when weddings take place in my family (Jamaican) they don't even think
about the registry! My cousin who is getting married in 3 weeks
didn't even bother to register anywhere because people are just
going to get her what they want to anyway .
Old 06-25-2002, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Just a note about gift registries, wishing wells, etc.:

Technically (if you're concerned with proper etiquette), directing/demanding your guests to give you specific gifts is uncouth, and the little cards people distribute to tell folks where they're registered, or to bring money to the reception for the wishing well are really not cool.

If your guests want to get you a gift, they're supposed to ask your parents, his parents or your wedding party, whom you should make sure knows your needs/wants.

Of course, department stores push the registries as convenient to the couple and their guests, and to some extent, that's very true. However, if a bride and groom, or parents-to-be (in the case of baby showers) are concerned with good manners, they should be more discreet than to dictate to their guests what is it they want to receive for guests. I think some guests rebel against those registries, and that's why they get what THEY want to give the couple, not what's on the registry. Also, I think some families or cultures are either more or less into the concept of registries/giving money/not taking a plate home or what-have-you.

That said...

Best gift? My husband. Though, I have to admit, shaking out our gift bag full of wedding cards (with $$ in them) onto to the bed in our hotel room on our wedding night was REALLY fun!

Worst gift? Hmm...I don't know...anything that didn't come from someone's heart. Meaning, some of the material gifts some people gave were meaningless, as their hearts/attitudes weren't in the right place.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved my registry... I was quite traditional in china, stemware and crystal items were my choice at various stores such as Neiman Marcus, Belk Hudson, A&S and so on. The items I didn't get I purchased over the years of being married. I love breaking my cherished items for my sorors for an afternoon tea!