GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,222
2 members and 1,220 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

GLO Books on ebay & Amazon?

So the discussion about GLO pins being sold on eBay has been address, but what about your history books?

The reason I ask is that I have seen the most recent history of AKA on sale for waaaaaay more than what members pay for it. I do understand that out of print issues will sell of a great bit more than current editions. I don't take much offense the the selling of history books, since we do not have any rituals or anything of that sort in them.

However, If history books are going to be sold, I would rather a member of the org (to which the book belongs) profit, rather than someone else. I know people who are not greek sell para too, but I singled out the books since that is something directly form the orgs I/HQ.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
So the discussion about GLO pins being sold on eBay has been address, but what about your history books?

The reason I ask is that I have seen the most recent history of AKA on sale for waaaaaay more than what members pay for it. I do understand that out of print issues will sell of a great bit more than current editions. I don't take much offense the the selling of history books, since we do not have any rituals or anything of that sort in them.

However, If history books are going to be sold, I would rather a member of the org (to which the book belongs) profit, rather than someone else. I know people who are not greek sell para too, but I singled out the books since that is something directly form the orgs I/HQ.
Our "history" books have always been sold publicly via book stores, so this really doesn't affect us much. The authors of the books are Deltas and were commissioned by the sorority. They reap the benefits of the books being sold. So if their books are being sold on ebay that is an issue for the authors and their publishing companies to address.

Our purpose was not to make money off of the marketing of our history, but rather to inform the public of the accurate history of our sorority.

But good looking out for all GLOs.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 05-06-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

When you refer to history books, is this private information that is being sold? I'm not really sure how this is dealt with in other orgs, as with both Delta and OPhiA, the national history is essentially public information.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
When you refer to history books, is this private information that is being sold? I'm not really sure how this is dealt with in other orgs, as with both Delta and OPhiA, the national history is essentially public information.

Oh No....not private info, at least speaking for AKA. The history is public information, I was mostly speaking about the inflated prices.

Also, the writers of pur history book are also comissioned by the sorority as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh No....not private info, at least speaking for AKA. The history is public information, I was mostly speaking about the inflated prices.

Also, the writers of pur history book are also comissioned by the sorority as well.
Oh, okay, I was thinking people selling private manuals and things on eBay (which I guess probably happens too).
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmmm.... I thought about this a little bit.....not a lot, but a little, lol....

What if each org sold their history book to the public via their websites? That would destroy the ebay market and continue to provide accurate information to the public, as ladygreek mentioned. AND the org would profit.

Hmmmm....might even lead to more knowledgable aspirants. Not that that was the focus of this thread.

I mean, it IS kinda funny to me that my (then) 20 dollar history book was available on ebay and other websites for 85 bucks -- and even now, as our history books are about 30 bucks for members, I see THE SAME EDITIONS on ebay for 180!

Crazy....
Old 05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Hmmmm....might even lead to more knowledgable aspirants. Not that that was the focus of this thread....
LOL, you can always tell when Intake in about to happen in DST. The sales of ISOS spike.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been collecting sorority songbooks for some time. I use them in our alumnae panhellenic, and after I go to the chapter eternal they will be donated to my GLOs headquarters. Many GLOs have impressive collections of the histories and songbooks of other GLOs. I collect them out of my interest in the history of the NPC, and can assure you that they are treated with respect.
Also, many NPC groups do sell history books at their HQ. I bought a Phi Mu one after my trip to their HQ, and I have the Chi Omega History dvd (Chi-O is quite high tech!). A D Pi has a lovely one, as does Pi Phi - I just haven't had the extra money to buy them as of yet. So the GLOs profit, and I learn a great deal more about my NPC cousins.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 05-07-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Hmmm.... I thought about this a little bit.....not a lot, but a little, lol....

What if each org sold their history book to the public via their websites? That would destroy the ebay market and continue to provide accurate information to the public, as ladygreek mentioned. AND the org would profit.

Hmmmm....might even lead to more knowledgable aspirants. Not that that was the focus of this thread.

I mean, it IS kinda funny to me that my (then) 20 dollar history book was available on ebay and other websites for 85 bucks -- and even now, as our history books are about 30 bucks for members, I see THE SAME EDITIONS on ebay for 180!

Crazy....

That is what I was thinking...about the orgs making money off of the books.

Plus aspirants can purchase books from whichever org or all of them, before thay decide to express interest and/or try to flip flop between all orgs.

Also, I wonder if aspirants are spending $150 for $20 books.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, I wonder if aspirants are spending $150 for $20 books.
I'm sure of it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think of it this way:

If I wrote a book about the Red Sox, should the owners get a portion of it? Or, if you want to compare it to a not-for-profit group, a book about the history of the American Red Cross.

Writing a book often take lots of time, money (most authors, especially new ones, do not get advances on their contracts), and legwork. It takes months, even years to do all of the research, interviewing, drafting and editing before a book goes to print. There are legal fees, copyright and trademark fees, supplies (gasoline, tape recorders, computer software, etc.).

Sometimes, individuals or organizations contribute and a deal is made for compensation (one time or royalties), but as a rule, there is no ethical requirement for profits a non-fiction book to go to the person or organization of subject matter.

Basically, history is something that is not proprietary information. Think of textbooks... you cannot trademark the fact that an organization began in whatever year, who was involved, etc. The only loophole is if an author breaks a confidentiality agreement or violated privacy laws to obtain information.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

There are certain properties that must be followed. That is why some see Bokksw on ebay, Amazon or where ever.

People Die and the books are Found and placed on a sell site.

If you or others do not want to bid on and win them, then why complain?

Yes, it is the same as Badges or if they are Secret Parts of Ritual, they were stolen and not returned to The HQ as they were supposed to do.

So?

Wonderful question!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
I think of it this way:

If I wrote a book about the Red Sox, should the owners get a portion of it? Or, if you want to compare it to a not-for-profit group, a book about the history of the American Red Cross.

Writing a book often take lots of time, money (most authors, especially new ones, do not get advances on their contracts), and legwork. It takes months, even years to do all of the research, interviewing, drafting and editing before a book goes to print. There are legal fees, copyright and trademark fees, supplies (gasoline, tape recorders, computer software, etc.).

Sometimes, individuals or organizations contribute and a deal is made for compensation (one time or royalties), but as a rule, there is no ethical requirement for profits a non-fiction book to go to the person or organization of subject matter.

Basically, history is something that is not proprietary information. Think of textbooks... you cannot trademark the fact that an organization began in whatever year, who was involved, etc. The only loophole is if an author breaks a confidentiality agreement or violated privacy laws to obtain information.

I understand what you are saying, but I wouldn't apply that since the authors of AKA history has always been a Soror (namely 15th Former Supreme Basileus Marjorie H. Parker). But, maybe its just me.