GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,502
0 members and 2,502 guests
No Members online

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow A 4th year exchange student in a sorority ?

Hello,

I'm an Italian student who is applying to study at an American university next fall for the entire academic year, my choices are San Diego State, Cal State Northridge and Cal State Long Beach.
I'm really interested in joining a sorority there but I'll be applying as a senior staying for one year ( more if finances and my visa are on my side ) any way I'm wondering if I have my chances at being picked to join a sorority given the facts that :

- As for now, only staying for a year // Applying as a senior
- I'm not American
- I'm 22

But on the bright sides, I'm pretty social, a good student and I'm already involved at my current school

One of my friend ( non-Greek ) from Cali who told me that rush wasn't that competitive at CSULB and CSUN but that it was a pretty big deal at SDSU, anyone knows if it's true or not ?

I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter , thanks in advance !

- Carlotta
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter actually had an exchange student come through this fall (informal). She said she was "just coming to see what it is all about" but it made me think "What if there was an exchange student who actually wanted to join?"

Normally, chapters wouldn't take someone who they know will only be around for a year. However, as an exchange student, you have something very unique to offer a chapter, which could be on your side. I have a friend who joined a chapter at CSU Northridge as a junior, so I don't think your age would work against you. I can't speak for the chapters at the schools to which you are applying, because I have no idea how they would feel about an exchange student, but I say give recruitment a try if it interests you, as long as you won't be crushed if it doesn't work out.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what rush is like at those schools specifically, but I know that there is a chapter here that has girls from overseas, and they fit right in with their respected sisterhoods! I think that any chapter would have a lot to learn from someone who isn't from the U.S
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
I don't know about California schools either, but I think some chapters would think it pretty cool to have an exchange student, assuming you like them and they like you, of course. Getting a bid as a senior can be tougher depending on the campus, but again, that might be where the uniqueness of your student status might work in your favor. I say go through rush and see what happens, worst case scenario is that you don't get a bid, but at least you'll have had the experience of rush and won't always wonder "what if" if you don't try... good luck!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Does CSU-Northridge and CSU-Long Beach have anything called "open university" or an extension program? If they do....are you considered part of the extension or open university. At CSU-East Bay all the international exchange students are under what is called "open university" so that means you aren't fully enrolled in the college. And they were NOT allowed to rush. So i'd check if i was you to make sure your considered full enrolled in the school.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I have known exchange students to go through recruitment and they were very well received. I would encourage you to contact the Greek Life office to find out more about it. They can answer the questions you might have if that school permits it.

We have some ladies on this board that are affiliated with San Diego State. Maybe they can jump in and provide some advise.

When I was in school, we had a girl from the UK. She wasn't an exchange student, but she pledged as a Sophomore. We loved her and several of our sisters went to visit her in Europe over the summer.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your kind and quick replies ! I don't know how to quote several people into the same message so I'll go with this :

- VioletPretty : Which sorority did you friend join at CSUN if you don't mind me asking ? Is she still in or she graduated ? It's just because I'd like to know if the rush process is very competitive or not

- Epchick : Yes SDSU and CSUN have an extension school I dunno about CSULB but I'm not applying through those, I'd be attending classes just like regular American students, taking 12 units and stuff

I'm definitely gonna go through rush and if I don't get a bid I'll just see it as an experience. By the way, is anyone in the chat currently or previously enrolled at one of the 3 schools ( SDSU - CSUN - CSULB ) ??
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM

I'm originally from CA and as far as I know, CSUN & CSULB aren't competitive. SDSU is more competitive now than it has been in the past. I believe quota last year was in the high 60's and there were a ton of girls going through.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an SDSU Sorority Alumna

Correction: last year quota was in the mid eighties for SDSU. I know that my sorority would have been open to an exchange student, however, Sigma Kappa closed in April of last year.

If you are really interested in joining a sorority, the Fraternity and Sorority Director may allow for you to join and for you not to count towards quota. There is always COB'ing, which tends to be less competitve.

Here is the link for SDSU Greek Life, I say definitely look into it. Joining a sorority is a great experience!!

http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon

Last edited by sigmaK619; 08-31-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW! I just realized a lot of sorority's are only in the USA. Glad mine's not one of them.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaK619 View Post
I am an SDSU Sorority Alumna

Correction: last year quota was in the mid eighties for SDSU.

SDSU is extremely competitive and dare I say it....pretty superficial. That definitely doesn't mean that you shouldn't give it a try. I know that my sorority would have been open to an exchange student, however, Sigma Kappa closed in April of last year.

If you are really interested in joining a sorority, the Fraternity and Sorority Director may allow for you to join and for you not to count towards quota. There is always COB'ing, which tends to be less competitve.

Here is the link for SDSU Greek Life, I say definitely look into it. Joining a sorority is a great experience!!

http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/
Thanks I was able to see lots of things I wanted to know on the website, if only the 2 others universities had such a comprehensive site about the subject.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolita View Post
Thanks I was able to see lots of things I wanted to know on the website, if only the 2 others universities had such a comprehensive site about the subject.

Cal State Long Beach, Greek Life:

www.csulb.edu/greek/

CSUN Greek Life:

http://www.csun.edu/getinvolved/frat...rospective.htm

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Carlotta,

You're in luck! I graduated from Cal State Long Beach and I just happen to work at San Diego State University! I advise two sororities and three fraternities at SDSU.

At San Diego State, recruitment is pretty competitive. Every year we see more and more students wanting to participate and we don't have room for everyone. Though, we just added a new sorority this year and hopefully this will help offer more places for new members next fall.

Most of the girls rushing are freshmen (first year students). We do get some sophomores (second year) and some juniors (third year); but, we do not see very many seniors (fourth year).

Being an exhange student will add interest and give you many things to talk about while meeting the sorority members. However, the fact that you will only be here for a year may be a disadvantage. With a limited number of places for new members, the sorority may favor someone who will be around for a longer period of time.

Cal State Long Beach is less competitive; but, again, being a senior will put you at a disadvantage. It has been a few years since I graduated from this university; so, things may have changed since then. I have an associate who is the coordinator for fraternities and sororites at Long Beach, perhaps I can ask her for you?

Finally, I do not have much information about Cal State Northridge; though, I would imagine that their recruitment is less competitive.

Of course, it would be wise to consider all aspects of the university you select: academic programs, location, activities for students, etc.

No matter which university you attend, I would encourage you to participate in recruitment anyway. It would be a good thing to experience this unique American tradition and, you never know, there is always a chance you could be invited to join.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message!

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 12-09-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

To KSUViolet06 : thanks for the list of websites but the CSUN one unfortunately isn't really informative but any way I have time before knowing where I'm gonna be accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Hi Carlotta,

You're in luck! I graduated from Cal State Long Beach and I just happen to work at San Diego State University! I advise two sororities and three fraternities at SDSU.

At San Diego State, recruitment is pretty competitive. Every year we see more and more students wanting to participate and we don't have room for everyone. Though, we just added a new sorority this year and hopefully this will help offer more places for new members next fall.

Most of the girls rushing are freshmen (first year students). We do get some sophomores (second year) and some juniors (third year); but, we do not see very many seniors (fourth year).

Being an exhange student will add interest and give you many things to talk about while meeting the sorority members. However, the fact that you will only be here for a year may be a disadvantage. With a limited number of places for new members, the sorority may favor someone who will be around for a longer period of time.

Cal State Long Beach is less competitive; but, again, being a senior will put you at a disadvantage. It has been a few years since I graduated from this university; so, things may have changed since then. I have an associate who is the coordinator for fraternities and sororites at Long Beach, perhaps I can ask her for you?

Finally, I do not have much information about Cal State Northridge; though, I would imagine that their recruitment is less competitive.

Of course, it would be wise to consider all aspects of the university you select: academic programs, location, activities for students, etc.

No matter which university you attend, I would encourage you to participate in recruitment anyway. It would be a good thing to experience this unique American tradition and, you never know, there is always a chance you could be invited to join.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message!

.....Kelly
Thanks Kelly, Even if I don't know where I'm gonna be studying yet I wanna know what are your sororities & fraternities recommendations at SDSU ?

Sure ask your coordinator friend at CSULB about joining as a senior if you don't mind.

Last edited by Nolita; 12-09-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorDG
When I was a student (in the dark ages), we had two exchange students that lived in our house. The first stayed for one year. It was such a great experience that two years later we invited another to live with us. The second became so close with our members, she was extended a bid and became a sister.

Living in the house when they were not members was an issue during meetings and rituals. However, we were able to work them out. Both of them had a very positive impact on our house. I think that, while being a senior might be a negative, it is more than balanced by the cultural exposure that is gained. Best of luck.

Concerning upper classmen going through recruitment: sometimes I think that the GLO's are so concerned about having a member for four years that they forget that the commitment is for a lifetime. I know the theory is that the four years will create a stronger bond, but that is not always the case or our alum groups would be so large that they would have difficulty finding places to meet.