GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,324
0 members and 2,324 guests
No Members online

Old 02-11-2005, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
I've kind of wondered what would have happened if I went through recruitment my freshmen year instead of my sophomore year. I've also wondered what would have happened if I received a bid my sophomore year. I was only invited back by two groups (AXO and AOPi) after the first round, but then I was dropped after the second. But then again, I wouldn't have this wonderful opportunity to become a founding member of my chapter .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-11-2005, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh goodness... here goes...

What if I had preffed Alpha Phi first, would I have ended up there?? (After seeing their skit for homecoming, I was even MORE impressed with them!!)

What if I had preffed Kappa Delta instead of leaving them off?? (At Mizzou, we attend three parties on pref day and can then pref whatever houses we'd like... I only decided I would accept bids from two of the three houses I attended.)

What if I had dropped out of recruitment after being cut from the house I "really" wanted?? I thought I wanted to be in a house where a few girls from my high school ended up... I loved it, and considered dropping out when they cut me.

What if I had suicided Kappa?? (Which I was considering very strongly.) Would I have ended there?? (Kappa doesn't participate in COB/COR at my school...)

What if I hadn't cut Phi Mu, Zeta or Alpha Chi... would I have ended it up in one of those houses after spending more time there??

I ended up Kappa... and although I ask myself the "what-ifs" about recruitment... I wouldn't change a thing!! Then again, we have thirteen awesome houses at my Mizzou, so I'm not sure a girl can lose...
Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick

* What if I had known about the killer B's when someone rushing me at one of the houses got me to talk about them?
\

Killer B's ? Please explain

My what ifs

I had gone through formal recruitment instead of informal spring

I had joined the ohter chapter I got a bid to

I had transferred to NAU instead of SFSU

I had rushed at LMU my freshman year
Old 02-11-2005, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Killer B's:
-Booty (sex)
-Booze (alcohol and drugs)
-Boys (not really something you want to talk about during recruitment parties)
-Bush (politics in general)
-Bible (religion)

The first three just aren't generally things you wanna talk about during recruitment; the last two are things that can spark heated debates and hurt people's feelings.

One more what if for me:
If I'd decided to wait a semester and do COB, would I have potentially been a founding sister of Delta Gamma, or would I have been in one of the other 15 sororities?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

what if my grandmother had contacted this chapter of Alpha Phi and told them i was a legacy? would i have been cut? what would i have put first on my bid card if i had preffed a-phi and adpi??

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 02-11-2005, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through a strange loosely structured spring recruitment my freshman year that was basically like COBing all of the sororities at once.

I had to turn down an invitation to the last party at one chapter because I had already agreed to attend another party at the same time but I do wonder what I would have done if I'd gone to their party.

I really do wish I had gone through formal recruitment. I do think I still would have ended up with Sigma Kappa, but I would have developed a greater bond with the rest of my class.

Last edited by seraphimsprite; 06-05-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

My "what if" has always been, What if my mother and I got along and I did not use rush as a way of moving out of the house a week earlier than scheduled? I don't think I would have ever gone through rush as I had zero self confidence thanks to my mother who told me for years I couldn't do anything right. I have never had a "what if" about my house as I only planned to stay in rush until KD dropped me and then I would drop out completely. In order to stay in the dorms during rush, you were required to attend all the first day parties. After that, if you dropped out you could stay in the dorm until your dorm opend up the following week. KD was the first house I visited and I really like them, but having zero self confidence, I left them telling myself that they were really nice, but I bet all the houses come across like that. By the end of the day I realized I only liked KD. I stayed in rush, attended every party I was invited to (I always had a a full invite list which also amazed me) and gave every other house an honest looking at, but every night I always knew it was either KD or nothing. At one time, my rush roommate tried to tell me why KD was not as good a house as KAT and Alpha Phi which were her top houses. Neither of them carried me and neither of them were my fit. The day I received my bid, I think I was screaming louder than anyone in the room.

Now I have to get ready to go over to a sister's house to work on baskets for a silent auction we are having at our major fund raiser, see, I am the President of my AA for KD and just as happy now as I was all those eons ago when I first walked into the KD house.

DaffyKD
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

What if my freshman roommate, who had been my highschool best friend, had rushed w/me when we were freshman? Would we have pledged the same house? Would we be speaking today? She waited until we were seniors, and barely acquaintances...and after she had done some questionable things to cause many of my sisters to not want to let her in (like broadcasting to the world she only wanted to be an AGD), so that after she was cut by AGD first round, everyone felt like her interest in coming to later DZ parties wasn't sincere & therefore didn't get a bid?

What if I had listened to the "tent chatter" instead of my heart, and put AGD down 1st on my list instead of DZ? I didn't know the members of either group better than the other...it was just a gut feeling...would I have become as close to the AGDs as I did to the DZs?

I have alot of regrets about what happened w/my roomie, but not one single regret about becoming a DZ!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bekibug
One more what if for me:
If I'd decided to wait a semester and do COB, would I have potentially been a founding sister of Delta Gamma, or would I have been in one of the other 15 sororities?
Aww, we could have been pledge sisters!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bekibug
Killer B's:
-Booty (sex)
-Booze (alcohol and drugs)
-Boys (not really something you want to talk about during recruitment parties)
-Bush (politics in general)
-Bible (religion)

The first three just aren't generally things you wanna talk about during recruitment; the last two are things that can spark heated debates and hurt people's feelings.

One more what if for me:
We also had Banks (or how much your daddy makes, even though I know that gets asked quite a lot anyway)
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Yeah Bank is also a killer B. How do you sidestep that question without getting the urge to say "NOYB"?

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
We also had Banks (or how much your daddy makes, even though I know that gets asked quite a lot anyway)
Old 02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ours were simply:

Banks
Bible
Booze (Included general talk about going out to clubs, etc.)
Boys
Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ours were simply:

Banks
Bible
Boys
Same here - only we substituted "bucks" for "banks".

My other "what if" is generally known, I think: what if I had been 17 or 18 when I graduated from high school, and I had taken the out of state scholarship that was offered to me?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Quote:
Ours were simply:

Banks
Bible
Boys
Pretty much the same as ours, only we had Bids in there as well.

We also added Bush this year...for obvious reasons
Old 02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
We've always (or at least as long as I know, which ain't too long) had "Bush" on our list meaning politics in general. You never know where a girl stands on issues and besides, who wants to talk about them during recruitment? I think I might propose that "Banks" or "Bucks" be added to the list--I don't know anybody that asks how much money Daddy makes, but it might be nice to have it set as some sort of rule just to make sure.

Oh, and I just noticed--I suppose "Bids" isn't something you talk about unless you're explaining how the system works. Guess it's the 7 B's now!