GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,457
2 members and 2,455 guests
TLLK

Old 06-12-2000, 04:43 PM
Curiousity Kills

Post Rushing vs. Pledging

As I non greek I have a huge question! How is a young woman supposed to pick a sorority she will be a member of for the rest of her life in only a few days???? Rush always appears to be so stressful, I can't help but think that more time is needed to make such a "serious" decision.

While I don't agree with any form of hazing (which sometimes happens in the BGLO/ latina sororities during their long pledge process), I would think Rush isn't enough.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2000, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I hope you're not insinuating that hazing only occurs in BGLOs and Latina sororities/fraternities. If so, you are sorely mistaken.
Old 06-12-2000, 04:59 PM
gloriajean

Exclamation

Excellent point, SkeeBunny.

What is more, hazing happens in all kinds of groups: athletic teams, the military, you name it! You don't have to be in a sorority or a fraternity to come across hazing.

Old 06-12-2000, 07:45 PM
Artimis

Addressing your question about chosing a sorority in a few days, I'm going to assume that you are refering to NPC's Formal Rush.

I personally have never undergone Formal Rush from either side, but, yes, a week long of constant exposure to Greek Life, is overwhelming, intense, exhillerating, and exhausting all in one breath. But that is not to say you CAN'T do your research before hand. Most have an idea in mind of what they want out of a sisterhood. Many resources exist to talk about the National History, Chapter history, National Philantrophy, and in some cases activites. NPC has a website of information, and many members of NPC have National websites. And I know my university puts out a book with descriptions of all the fraternal organizations.

If and doubt talk to members on campus. ;>

And the other posters are correct, while most all National organizations have STRONG Anti-hazing policies, some chapters risk their charters and the lives of thier members by continuing irresponsible behaviors.

Artimis
Old 06-23-2000, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If you have the option like we do at Penn state, you can rush informally the next semester. For us, fall is formal which is very structured and rigid. You have to go to every sorority and you don't get to meet everyone. However, spring rush is quite different. You go to the sororites you want to go to for as long as you want to and talk to whoever you want to. It's really nice actually. But you are right. You do have to choose in just a couple of days which sucks I admit. BUT, if you click with the girls at all, chances are you will like them even more as time goes on. It's like how when you're stuck with any person or people for long periods of time, you just start to like them. (most of the time). Good luck
Old 06-25-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, well, this is what I did. The night before Prefs, I ended up going to the respective websites of the sororities I had been invited back to on my campus (which were all of them), and a few other chapter sites. That was hard, and I wasn't able (due to a flight early the next morning) to put in my bid, so I ended up going COB. The COB (Continuous Open Bidding--if you didn't pick a sorority during Rush, the sororities, if they want you, can extend an invite) option turned out to be the best one for me. I was able to talk to some of the sisters who I had talked to during Rush (and some of whom knew me before), and I got to visit the houses when the sisters weren't in Rush mode. That helped me make my decision, because I ended up going to the house that felt like home (and still does). I think the COB option's definitely been underrated, because it's a great thing for indecisive people like me, with crazy schedules.

In response to the L/BGLO hazing question, aren't there rules in each conference's respective bylaws about what hazing entails? Is it true that there are some things that the NPC consider hazing that the NPHC doesn't, including a long pledge process? Also, it could appear to some that since BGLOs have high-profile hazing cases, that hazing happens primarily in those organizations...I'm not saying that's true, but I've heard that sentiment from a lot of people, and I've had to correct them.
Old 06-25-2000, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Please be careful with your words, because it appears to me as if you are saying hazing only occurs in BGLO/Latino orgs.
Quote:
Originally posted by Curiousity Kills:
As I non greek I have a huge question! How is a young woman supposed to pick a sorority she will be a member of for the rest of her life in only a few days???? Rush always appears to be so stressful, I can't help but think that more time is needed to make such a "serious" decision.

While I don't agree with any form of hazing (which sometimes happens in the BGLO/ latina sororities during their long pledge process), I would think Rush isn't enough.
Old 06-25-2000, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I do feel or know of BGLO's having higher amounts of hazing or "high-profile" cases. But thank you for not falling into a group that believes those thing
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Also, it could appear to some that since BGLOs have high-profile hazing cases, that hazing happens primarily in those organizations...I'm not saying that's true, but I've heard that sentiment from a lot of people, and I've had to correct them.
Old 06-25-2000, 10:26 AM
Artimis

With regards to hazing cases, you might considering checking out the following anti-hazing site.

http://www.stophazing.org

The author of [italics]Broken Pledges[/italics] moderates a mailing list that posts articles and briefs on accounts of hazing. The hazing list isn't limited to just greek cases of hazing. What is interesting to note is recently most of the articles (some are about the same insident) have been related to athetics rather then greeks.