GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 668
1 members and 667 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Re: advice

Quote:
Originally posted by sbelle223
DO NOT COMPLAIN!!!! This is one of my bigest pet peeves ever! We know its hot/cold outside, we know that you're tired (believe it or not, so are we), we know your feet hurt, we know that you're stressed and worried and nervous etc., we know that you're tired of being asked all the same questions (we're tired of asking but we have to inorder to get to know you better)... If you come into the house and all you do is complain we're going to get the impression from you that you're a very negative and unhappy person. Stay positive and upbeat and excited and we'll be able to get a much better impression of who you are as a person and we'll like you alot more and you'll have a better shot of being invited back. No one likes a complainer.

I agree so much with this. Across the board, big school rush, small school, competitive, non competitive, whatever the situation- NOBODY wants to hear someone complaining. Even if you aren't a negative person, complaining will make you look that way.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OhioCentaur Send a message via Yahoo to OhioCentaur
how long is a typical "rush" process??
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to I_Love_Penguins
Quote:
Originally posted by OhioCentaur
how long is a typical "rush" process??
At my campus, spring rush was a week long. I'm not sure about how we do fall rush. I'm assuming same length. I would think this is a campus to campus factor though. I would say our school definitely didn't do as extensive of rush as some other schools do judging by what I've heard on here.

Anyway, I figured I'd contribute with my tips on what not to do or say during rush:

I agree with those who have already said don't ever utter the words "When I am a sister at XYZ I will...." I never did this to my memory, but my friend went through rush with me and she talked about the sorority banquet and getting her letters as if she had already been in. She was even convinced that someone who asked her to add her as a friend on Myspace was a member of the sorority she wanted. I looked at the profile and disagreed, but she pretty much ignored my advice saying that she thinks this girl might've been in her top choice sorority and that the add on Myspace was a way of looking into her. I think this killed her. She got way too hyper about the whole thing, then didn't get a bid and ended up upset.

So overall, I'd say...DON'T act like you are guaranteed an in to the sorority no matter how much you click with the girls and don't take every little thing during rush so seriously. You'll end up let down, in my opinion.

The other tip I have comes from a mistake I made during rush that may have hurt me. (I cannot prove that it did; I am just saying it's possible.) On my way back from opens and informals, I said some bad things about the sororities I didn't click with. The girls weren't mean but I did say some things about how I feel like I didn't fit in with ABC and LMN as I was leaving parties. I wish I hadn't opened my mouth while walking back to my room, LOL. I admit I made a mistake...I wish I had waited until I was back in the privacy of my room on the phone or something to give off my impressions instead of opening my mouth on the way back from parties.

Lastly, no matter how much you don't click with a sorority, stay polite. I noticed at our open round that there was a girl in my group who wasn't smiling and looked miserable. I was pretty shocked. I met a sorority I didn't click with but I still did my very best to pay attention to the girl speaking to me and participate in the icebreakers without looking so unhappy. It's really rude when you look like you can't wait to leave the party. Just grin and bear it!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep your nose clean on the internet-- don't join any groups on MySpace, Facebook, LJ, etc., that would portray your character as questionable. Same goes for your language and wording on message boards and blogs. In the summer before recruitment, you may not have communication with the sorority women at your university regarding recruitment.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OhioCentaur Send a message via Yahoo to OhioCentaur
Quote:
Originally posted by I_Love_Penguins
At my campus, spring rush was a week long. I'm not sure about how we do fall rush. I'm assuming same length. I would think this is a campus to campus factor though. I would say our school definitely didn't do as extensive of rush as some other schools do judging by what I've heard on here.

Anyway, I figured I'd contribute with my tips on what not to do or say during rush:

I agree with those who have already said don't ever utter the words "When I am a sister at XYZ I will...." I never did this to my memory, but my friend went through rush with me and she talked about the sorority banquet and getting her letters as if she had already been in. She was even convinced that someone who asked her to add her as a friend on Myspace was a member of the sorority she wanted. I looked at the profile and disagreed, but she pretty much ignored my advice saying that she thinks this girl might've been in her top choice sorority and that the add on Myspace was a way of looking into her. I think this killed her. She got way too hyper about the whole thing, then didn't get a bid and ended up upset.

So overall, I'd say...DON'T act like you are guaranteed an in to the sorority no matter how much you click with the girls and don't take every little thing during rush so seriously. You'll end up let down, in my opinion.

The other tip I have comes from a mistake I made during rush that may have hurt me. (I cannot prove that it did; I am just saying it's possible.) On my way back from opens and informals, I said some bad things about the sororities I didn't click with. The girls weren't mean but I did say some things about how I feel like I didn't fit in with ABC and LMN as I was leaving parties. I wish I hadn't opened my mouth while walking back to my room, LOL. I admit I made a mistake...I wish I had waited until I was back in the privacy of my room on the phone or something to give off my impressions instead of opening my mouth on the way back from parties.

Lastly, no matter how much you don't click with a sorority, stay polite. I noticed at our open round that there was a girl in my group who wasn't smiling and looked miserable. I was pretty shocked. I met a sorority I didn't click with but I still did my very best to pay attention to the girl speaking to me and participate in the icebreakers without looking so unhappy. It's really rude when you look like you can't wait to leave the party. Just grin and bear it!
LOL... i'm sorry i wasnt asking for real thats just something i know i've heard asked by people trying to become delts and they were turned away lol.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
NO B'S!!

At Minnesota, we as sorority members were ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOWED to discuss those famous B's:
Bible (religion)
Booze (drugs of any kind)
Bank (how much/little money your family has)
Bed (sexual habits)
Bush (politics)
Bash (dirty rushing/dissing other sororities)

If topics like this were brought up, we were to skirt the issue, refer them to their Rho Alpha, and change the subject. If we were caught breaking the rules, we could get recruitment infractions from fines to not getting to participate in events like homecoming!

Obviously, this made recruitment conversation pretty PG, but hopefully it wasn't uncomfortable for the PNM's and we all presented ourselves well.

TEII
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

my advice for someone going through rush is dont try to impress, just do it. If you are ment to be in a chapter they will see that! Really try to get to know the women you talk to, dont wear to much makeup and NO tounge rings!!! i had a girl with a tounge ring talk to me and it was soooooo distracting!!!! if you are ment to be in a chapter you will be there...dont worry! Make sure you can see yoursef hanging out with these girls at the house or at a party or something, if you cant, its not the house for you. good luck!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
PhisigWarner

Cool

DO NOT use profane language! Have a little respect.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
If I knew then what I know now.

But then, it was an extremely competitive SEC school with a huge Greek system.

I wonder if at my graduate school, or at this other state university where I took some courses, I would have had a higher chance. That, and by then I was more polished socially.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

This was posted in one girl's recruitment thread already, but I feel that this should be posted on here to serve as a caution to all PNM's:
If you were affected by a tragedy such as Katrina, have a relative or friend serving in Iraq, etc. I would avoid talking about it unless someone asks you about it or brings it up first. You don't know what other peoples' experiences have been in the same situation, and you don't wanna bring up bad memories or look like you're playing the pity card.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JMackGPD4Life
What do...do your research. Learn the history, principle and founding mission of the organization.

ATTEND EVERY EVENT OR MEETING of your prospective organization & be early!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER wear your prospective organizations colors! I get soooo heated when I see interests rocking my colors.

Never say, anything with soror of xyz org met with me. Always says, "I met with a member of XYZ organization".

Be cool, make friends with at least one ACTIVE member in your organization's chapter. Sororities are in the business of making future sisters and if you can't take the time to say hi, ask how your day is, learn what type person does, then it says something about what you will be like as a member.

Never disrespect the members (curse, yell, talk down, show up late). They ARE members, you are NOT.

If you are late, then let the ONE person you're cool with know before the meeting starts.

NO EXCUSES!

And never give up on becoming a member. Anyone can be interested in an organization, but following up and being persistent (not annoying) will set you apart from all the others.
~Member of Gamma Phi Delta Sorority, Inc. since FALL 2003
"Bringing GPD back to NYC."
Old 06-17-2006, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't spill glue on the house's dining room table to ensure you won't get invited back after philanthrophy day. Everyone WILL hear about it, and everyone WILL talk about what a bitch you are.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

* Don't be rude or negative.
* Don't let other people's ideas influence your decision (IE: PNM's, the sorority you believe your Recruitment Counselor to be a member of, your legacy status, recs, etc.).
* Don't be late.
* Don't be afraid to tell a sorority you're enjoying getting to know them.
* Don't bring up topics that deal with alternative behavior or controversial topics. Learn about the sororities and the chapter members as individuals. Stick to why you want to join a sorority and why you would be a good fit at that sorority.
* Don't deviate too far from the dress code.
* Don't refuse offers of food or refreshments. You can politely hold it if you don't want to eat it.
* Don't lose your smile or enthusiasm!
* Don't forget to be yourself!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapCoug
Don't spill glue on the house's dining room table to ensure you won't get invited back after philanthrophy day. Everyone WILL hear about it, and everyone WILL talk about what a bitch you are.
Wow. I can't believe someone actually did this.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapCoug

At first I thought you meant the girl did it on accident, and I wondered why everyone would think she was a bitch. Then I read it again and I was