GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 770
0 members and 770 guests
No Members online

Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
lovelyinpearlss

Would my last name blackball me?

consider this post deleted. I had no idea such a response would be prompted. I am simply putting to rest something that I have heard...and I thought this would be a reliable source to ask. However, instead, I am ridiculed. So nevermind. Thank you for all of the patient responses.

Last edited by lovelyinpearlss; 11-27-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

It is difficult here for me to take you seriously... and I am really trying not to answer you in a manner which might be upsetting.

But the fact that you would even ask a question like this makes me question your intentions here. Searching through your posts, I see a very inarticulate person, who I have a hard time believing is a junior at an SEC school, who is trying to elicit admissions from members here about the sort of discrimination which occurs in the selection process.

I could be completely wrong about you, and I apologize in advance if I am.

And for what it's worth, if you pull this odd, overinquisitive stuff during recruitment, you're going to be discriminated against, not because of your age or your ethnicity, but because you're acting like a social leper.

The sort of people these organizations target are the sorts of people who know what it means when they are told to dress 'business casual' or to wear something that's in good taste. I'm not sure what sort of upbringing you've had, but this stuff isn't exactly rocket science.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyinpearlss View Post
I have been hearing from various people not affiliated with greek life that since my last name is traditionally Jewish, only the Jewish sorority would want me...I AM NOT JEWISH.. my ancestors were...will this really blackball me like that...if so...thats another thing on my list that is against me... and would I really want to be a part of something that discriminates like that?
QFP

and in response... SERIOUSLY???
Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The Dekes blackballed me because of my last name.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have been hearing from various people not affiliated with greek life that since my last name is traditionally Jewish, only the Jewish sorority would want me...I AM NOT JEWISH.. my ancestors were...will this really blackball me like that...if so...thats another thing on my list that is against me... and would I really want to be a part of something that discriminates like that?
Ummm, based on what you've written, if they would discriminate like that, you wouldn't have to worry about being a part of it.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a traditionally jewish last name. I am not jewish either. I don't believe I was ever discriminated against going through recruitment. Even if I was cut because of it, I wouldn't have wanted to join that house anyway.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 PM

I doubt that a sorority is really going to judge you based on your last name. Many last names that are traditionally Jewish are now just common in general, so they aren't even associated with being Jewish anyway.

A bit of advice:

You can't believe everything you hear. If you do, you're going to have a hard time with recruitment. There are going to be lots of rumors and things going around about recruitment, the different chapters, etc. You need to to not freak out about everything you hear.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-27-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

You may have faced discrimination about 40 years ago, but many, many parts of the greek experience have changed in those 40 years.

Including blackballing. AFAIK, inter/national fraternities & sororities rarely use the archaic blackball method anymore.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 PM

FYI: No one ridiculed you. We simply said that people don't get "blackballed" because of their last names. We also said that that is a silly rumor and that you need to NOT believe everything you hear.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:27 PM
lovelyinpearlss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
FYI: No one ridiculed you. We simply said that people don't get "blackballed" because of their last names. We also said that that is a silly rumor and that you need to NOT believe everything you hear.

I am not talking about you or the other people that gave me patient responses. The reason is 20 years ago my aunt rushed at the same school that I am in the spring, and was only considered by a Jewish sorority. And...the moderator most certainly did ridicule me. A ?social leper? in my book that is not support, that is ridicule, and really I don't appreciate it. If you are no longer giving advice to prospects/ or answering questions thats fine, but when a question arises and it is answered in such a demeaning way...that is not ok. I am most definitely not talking about the people who gave me answers that are helpful and I will take your advice whole heartedly.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about you or the other people that gave me patient responses. The reason is 20 years ago my aunt rushed at the same school that I am in the spring, and was only considered by a Jewish sorority.

That unfortunately did happen sometimes, 20, 30, 40 years ago. It's not something that happens now, just because those last names aren't considered exclusively Jewish anymore as they were in the past.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 PM
lovelyinpearlss

Thank you. I hope this can be put to bed. I did not want this to turn into what it became. It really made me sick to my stomach when I read his post. I know what business casual is. My University has not yet released dress code for informal Spring rush. I was brought up just fine, and just because I asked a question does not mean that I am inarticulate in any way. Wow, It's sad that I come to get help and I regret it. I hope that prospective members in the future do not get treated that way, it's a turn off.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I hope this can be put to bed. I did not want this to turn into what it became. It really made me sick to my stomach when I read his post. I know what business casual is. My University has not yet released dress code for informal Spring rush. I was brought up just fine, and just because I asked a question does not mean that I am inarticulate in any way. Wow, It's sad that I come to get help and I regret it. I hope that prospective members in the future do not get treated that way, it's a turn off.
I think the resopnses just stem from the fact that your question isn't one that we get around here alot (because most people just kind of know that that stuff doesn't matter because it's not true).

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
lovelyinpearlss

Well thank you for clearing that up. My Aunt's story prompted the question. I just found his response unnecessary, that's all. It hurt my feelings, and insulted me quite a bit. You have been great, however.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well thank you for clearing that up. My Aunt's story prompted the question. I just found his response unnecessary, that's all. It hurt my feelings, and insulted me quite a bit. You have been great, however.
He didn't call you a social leper.

He said that if you ask random questions like this during recruitment...like, with the girls in the room, you will look like a social leper to them.