GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,229
2 members and 2,227 guests
Kevin, Titchou

Old 06-08-2000, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Help! Can I rush?

Hi!

I am interested in rushing a sorority this fall. However, I have heard that there are stringent rules as to who can rush. I am married... does this mean I am excluded? I have heard that both girls who have children or are married cannot rush.

Thanks in advance,
Makena
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-08-2000, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Well, I'm not sure about that...are you rushing an NPC or NPHC group? I've never heard of anything in the bylaws of either group, it may be on a chapter to chapter basis. Sometimes, I guess it depends on the school. I know someone who did have a child (her parents took care of the child, so maybe this is the difference) who went to a school which primarily consisted of commuter students, so the sorority was not residential. But, she rushed and pledged. I guess it all matters on what you want to do. Maybe there's something on the NPC website (www.npcwomen.org). Best of luck!
Old 06-08-2000, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks... didn't find anything there but I'll keep looking and hopefully get some more responses!

I would be pledging an NPC and there aren't any houses at my school, which might make it easier as there can't be any living requirements.

------------------
Old 06-09-2000, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I'm not up-to-date on all of these rules and regulations, but I know that Barb (aka Penguin Trax) has posted on this topic before in these forums.

I think that her organization didn't allow women who were married to rush/pledge undergrad. But I might be mistaken. And I don't know if this was related to NPC rules or not?

So, I'm posting to tell you that I know that at least some org.s do have such restrictions, and that you need to ask Barb, because she is the NPC Rush and other Info All-Knowing resource to us here at Greek Chat. (At least informally she is)

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-10-2000, 02:16 AM

Talking

Hi Makena!

Since your in La Jolla I'm guessing you're talking about UCSD. (Or possibly USD?)

I'll be graduating from UCSD next week so if you have questions feel free to email me and I'll do my best to answer them. As far as married women rushing...it's allowed but I've never seen one actually get a bid.

The sororities get really concerned that you won't have the time, have too many other (and understandably more important) priorities, that you will bail after realizing that you just don't click with 18-yr-olds who just want to party in TJ, that you can't come to all required events (rush workshops took about 40hrs before welcome week last year), you only want to have XYZ to put on your resume, and that you won't be around for very long before graduating.

Since I don't know you I can't say if any of this applies. But I want to be honest.

Like I said feel free to email me. We can discuss any concerns that you have about rush.

Old 06-12-2000, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Well, I'm not sure about that...are you rushing an NPC or NPHC group? I've never heard of anything in the bylaws of either group, it may be on a chapter to chapter basis. Sometimes, I guess it depends on the school. I know someone who did have a child (her parents took care of the child, so maybe this is the difference) who went to a school which primarily consisted of commuter students, so the sorority was not residential. But, she rushed and pledged. I guess it all matters on what you want to do. Maybe there's something on the NPC website (www.npcwomen.org). Best of luck!
Hi AlphaChiGirl - Just to let you know that our organization does require the woman to be single for membership. I've never heard about children, but I know firsthand about the married deal. Love to you and the sisters out there in our Bond!

Old 06-13-2000, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle:
<snip> you need to ask Barb, because she is the NPC Rush and other Info All-Knowing resource to us here at Greek Chat. (At least informally she is)

Silver -

I feel like the swami sitting on the mountaintop now! LOL

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though when I don't know something I will be the first to admit it!

Barb

Old 06-13-2000, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Barb--

I don't know much about NPC stuff, but I do know that if I've got a question, I go straight to you

Seriously, thanks for all of your help + for sharing your knowledge w/ all of us!!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-13-2000, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

NPHC Organizations have no such regulation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Makena:
Hi!

I am interested in rushing a sorority this fall. However, I have heard that there are stringent rules as to who can rush. I am married... does this mean I am excluded? I have heard that both girls who have children or are married cannot rush.

Thanks in advance,
Makena

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-19-2000, 12:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Makena:
You would need to direct your question to the Panhellenic council on your campus, if it is a Panhellenic Rush that you are interested in taking place in. Historically, married girls could not rush, but times are a'changing. Good Luck and I hope that it works out for you.

P.S. If you are interested in a Black Greek Letter Sorority, I think this might be different.