GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,301
1 members and 1,300 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Competitive school - no recs?

Hi! I am rushing in the spring at a competitive Southern school. I found this site and saw my school on the pinned list for absolutely must-have recs. I am not from an area where sororities are popular, so I didn't know anyone for recs and only got one letter. My grades are good and I have a few friends in sororities, but will they cut me because I don't have a rec letter to their house? I was really looking forward to rush but now I'm worried I'll get released!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusheee View Post
Hi! I am rushing in the spring at a competitive Southern school. I found this site and saw my school on the pinned list for absolutely must-have recs. I am not from an area where sororities are popular, so I didn't know anyone for recs and only got one letter. My grades are good and I have a few friends in sororities, but will they cut me because I don't have a rec letter to their house? I was really looking forward to rush but now I'm worried I'll get released!
There are lots of posts here about how to get recs but I'll give you the Cliff Notes version:

Make a list of all the groups you need

Get your resume done along with a transcript.

Ask EVERY woman you know (teachers, employers, coaches, parents' friends, friends' parents,etc) if they -or anyone they know - might be a sorority member.

When you find someone and she agrees to do a rec, ask if she knows anyone
else who is a member of one of the remaining groups. Sorority members know other sorority members. (have you asked the one you already found?)

When you've exhausted all those, check the web sites and FB pages of the remaining groups to see if there is an alumnae group for them near you.They will have contact info so use that method to let them know you need a rec.

Find out if there is an Alumnae Panhellenic in your area. Attend their spring recruitment event. Contact them for possible recs.

In other words, NETWORK any way possible.

THANK THEM!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

A few additional suggestions in addition to Titchou's most excellent CliffNotes:

Your church bulletin. A little note in the Sunday bulletin may produce Panhellenic woman who will be able to write for you.

Local retirement communities, such as RV parks, resorts, etc. There are many here in AZ & I have discovered many Panhellenic contacts through the RVers.

Be diligent; you don't have a lot of time if you are going through Spring 2017 recruitment. You're aware that your rush is competitive, based on the opening sentence of your post. Make your chances the best they can be. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
A few additional suggestions in addition to Titchou's most excellent CliffNotes:

Your church bulletin. A little note in the Sunday bulletin may produce Panhellenic woman who will be able to write for you.

Local retirement communities, such as RV parks, resorts, etc. There are many here in AZ & I have discovered many Panhellenic contacts through the RVers.

Be diligent; you don't have a lot of time if you are going through Spring 2017 recruitment. You're aware that your rush is competitive, based on the opening sentence of your post. Make your chances the best they can be. Good luck!
Amazingly, all or at least the vast majority of my recs came through a church bulletin. I never knew that so many of the women were Greeks until they started asking me for particulars. IIRC, the announcement was simple, on the lines of "honeychile is going to University, and hopes to join the Greek System." The alumnae were eager to help!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Reach out to HS classmates who rushed and pledged in the fall, or to girls that will also be rushing in the spring. They may share their contacts with you.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Not having recs can hurt you badly for two reasons:

1. You say your school's recruitment is competitive. That means houses will need to cut a lot of pnms and the two "easiest" ways to release pnms are cutting for 1st semester GPA and cutting for not having recs.

2. Several sororities have a national policy that pnms must have a rec to pledge. Assuming you are at a deferred recruitment school like SMU or Vandy, you are likely to have at least one of those sororities on your campus. Doesn't matter if you have 10 bff's in the house- no rec, no bid.

Please try to find as many recs as you possibly can before recruitment starts. Visit your old high school to see old teachers, post on Facebook and tag your mom & grandmas so their friends will see. It's crunch time so do the best you can in the next few days.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another suggestion for finding recommendations. Look up the national and chapter page for each sorority on Facebook. Facebook will helpfully show you how many of your friends have liked that page. Click on the number of likes and Facebook will show exactly which friends liked the page. Chances are good that those women or their daughters are members of that sorority. Check with them to see if they can write a rec for you. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ That's a really good idea!

What do others think about sharing how you found the sister, though? I think I'd make the follow-up request contact through a more traditional means, and probably not tell the potential rec writer you found them through FB stalking. Something more like, "I've been preparing for winter recruitment, and someone mentioned that they think you joined/you're a member of..."
Old 01-02-2017, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the FB idea is smart and wish I had thought of it when my daughter was going through. I would not have a problem at all. You really aren't stalking anyone in particular just seeing if you have a mutual friend in that group. It also means that person knows you or at least someone else who knows you.

I do that all the time when I sell things on FB groups. I feel a lot better about the transaction if I see I have a mutual friend with the person.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a mother (we were chapter sisters at different times) contact me about a rec for her daughter. I didn't mind at all.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your responses! I am taking all of your advice to heart and was able to secure two more recs with the ways suggested, so big thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
2. Several sororities have a national policy that pnms must have a rec to pledge. Assuming you are at a deferred recruitment school like SMU or Vandy, you are likely to have at least one of those sororities on your campus. Doesn't matter if you have 10 bff's in the house- no rec, no bid.
Hi TXDG! I have heard about this but didn't know it was a real thing. Is there a list of sororities with this policy anywhere or is that one of the more secretive aspects of the recruitment process? Just trying to cover my bases to get those absolutely necessary additional letters!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

No, because the chapter may have the rule even if the national org does not. Keep networking!