GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,317
0 members and 2,317 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Frustrated with the same old songs

I was wondering if anyone had lyrics to some different songs. We sing all the regulars (rah rah, pat song, etc.). I want something different for recruitment this year. We are having a country themed day and do a monopoly skit. I know Okalahoma does I'm a redneck woman changed to I'm a kappa woman, so if anyone knows these lyrics or any other songs that might be able to go in our skit I would really appreciate it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

How 'bout writing kappa lyrics to "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson?

"I'm a Kappa woman..."
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa2 View Post
How 'bout writing kappa lyrics to "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson?

"I'm a Kappa woman..."
That's what we always did for recruitment and serenades -- just took popular songs and changed the words be more Kappariffic. It's not that hard once you get started.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
My chapter had about a million rewritten songs we used for recruitment. Unfortunately, I can remember none of their lyrics.

You might want to look into pop songs that lend themselves well to Kappa. I know my chapter used a song that I think was called "I've Never Seen Blue Like That Before" but I'm not sure who sang it or if that's the real title. There's also a Madonna song that I think might be pretty easily adaptable. It's the one that goes "open your heart with the key."

KD on my campus also used Celebration. They left the song completely as it was (even used the actual recording.) After the "Celebrate good times" line, they would yell "KD!" You might try something like that.

If I recover from my case of amnesia and suddenly start remembering lyrics to those songs I've mentioned, I'll let you know.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
can someone send me the lyrics to Dream Awhile?? and for some reason, Lovely Girl is stuck in my head, but to the same tune as DA. Are they quite similar and I just never noticed before? lol
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

They are to the same tune, "Till We Meet Again." Here are the lyrics for "Dream a While of Kappa."

"Dream a while of Kappa ever true,
Dream of her and she will be with you,
Dream of friendships through the years,
Dream of days, their joys and tears.
Now it's time that you and I must part,
So take this dream and place it in your heart,
Keep it dear until the time
We will meet again."
Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

We did a skit called "Kappa Pickers" (pickers - as in "pickin' on a guitar). It was a 7-8 minute medley of several different songs performed by a group of ~9 women. "You are my sunshine," "keep on the sunny side," "Hot time in the Kappa house tonight," and more. Sort of along the lines of an old Hee Haw skit - and very sweet. The "country day" was like a Kappa picnic... we served mini hotdogs and lemonade.

I always heard that the skit was so popular, and had been performed at national convention as well. I bet there are plenty of people out there who can help share more details on this.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
i cant believe i never noticed! lol, thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibibi View Post
We did a skit called "Kappa Pickers" (pickers - as in "pickin' on a guitar). It was a 7-8 minute medley of several different songs performed by a group of ~9 women. "You are my sunshine," "keep on the sunny side," "Hot time in the Kappa house tonight," and more. Sort of along the lines of an old Hee Haw skit - and very sweet. The "country day" was like a Kappa picnic... we served mini hotdogs and lemonade.

I always heard that the skit was so popular, and had been performed at national convention as well. I bet there are plenty of people out there who can help share more details on this.
Kappa Pickers started at Delta Chapter in the 60s and became popular with many chapters across the country. I think one group from Delta chapter even made a record, and you can sometimes find it in antique stores or on eBay. You don't find many chapters with a Pickers group anymore because it's not really a popular style of music.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember seeing pictures of the Kappa Pickers in the Key when I was an active in the '80s. Apparently the groups were still part of some chapters at the time, but this would not have flown at my school.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had a small subset of a dozen or fewer girls who sang, but they didn't play instruments or do country songs. We used them for normal kappa songs-starting songs (someone has to carry the tune and know the words, right?), rush events (a group of six in the background as women enter is a lot easier on the ears than a 100), and initiation. I think the group was called Kappa Pickers, however more as an homage to the original idea rather than becoming something like what was on record in the 1960s.

However, I think a few chapters might have "Kappa Picker" songs still in their archives that might be appropriate for this country theme. Can't hurt to look if you still live in a house...

:-)
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Jane Pauley was a Kappa Picker. We had a Picker group, but I don't know how long they lasted after I graduated in 1980.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm digging this thread up for a selfish and non-selfish reason.

Sherbertlemons: "Never Saw Blue Like That" is by Shawn Colvin. It's really pretty, and we may use it at pref next fall. I have the song, if you want it.

Ok, now my selfish reasons: As I said in another thread, I'm the new Membership Chairman for Eta Mu (hoot hoot!), and I really want to incorporate songs into our recruitment. I know, we've never had songs! Crazy! I think Rah Rah would be good, and I really want to learn the tune to that Ba-Boom song. The Ritual CD doesn't have any songs like that on it (obviously), and the songs on the website are either the wrong style or don't have an MP3 for them.

So...suggestions? I'm still looking through old threads with "songs" in the title. Thanks for your help!

Loyally,
Kristen

P.S. Do I post on the Kappa forum too often? Haha I feel like I do sometimes.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

How about "Suddenly I see" by KT TUnstall? OK, so I just heard it in the car tonight, so it popped into my head. You could twist it a little like this:

Her face is a map of the world
Is a map of the world
You can hear she's a kappa girl
She's a kappa girl
She fills up every corner when she’s wearing her gold key
Makes you feel warmer when sisterhood you see
It makes you true
To learn about the dark and the light blue

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why - kappa means so much to me
Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Aren't there 2 music CD's available on the website? One for ritual songs and one for "regular" songs? I thought there were.

Also, have your convention delegate bring a small tape recorder to Convention and tape some songs that other chapters sing.

We should request that HQ put together more songs on the web site! How great is that?

Loyally,
Vicki