GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 08-31-2003, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Universities without greek life

What do they do?

Its really hot in this piece.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

It is not bad

My sister (blood sister) went to Rice University, a small private school, and they do not have a greek system. It is my understanding that the founder of the school, William Marsh Rice, stipulated that the school should never have a greek system. Also, I think my sister said too that each student must sign a form stating that they will not join a GLO off campus while they are a student at Rice U. Instead, students are assigned to different colleges (dorms) and they form bonds within their college. I think there are like 6 or 7 different colleges, all co-ed. So, when it comes to different campus activites, the colleges compete with one another. They seem to have the same kind of fun as being a member of a GLO. One college, Baker College (named after one of the James Baker's, I or II) has a monthly event called Baker13, where on the 13th or 31st of the month guys from that college streak across campus with saving cream covering certain 'parts'. Rice is kinda liberal.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Damn, that Rice guy sure had a stick up his ass.

A couple of my HS friends go to Cal Lutheran, which doesn't have a Greek life, and they basically said the same thing about the colleges. All my friends from HS who made it to college go to schools where GL is small, so I can ask them.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of the schools that don't allow social fraternities allow other groups that allow pledging like Alpha Phi Omega and Kappa Kappa Psi.

Among the schools that has Alpha PHi Omega and don't have a social greek system are Georgetown, Loyola College (MD), Citadel and Maine Maritime Academy. Also a handful of Community Colleges.

Alpha Phi Omega used to have chapters at Rice and Notre Dame as well...

Randy Finder
Alpha Phi Omega alumnus