GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,248
0 members and 2,248 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2002, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

rush at UCSB

I've been a faithful, but, for the most part, silent member of Greekchat for a few years. I have decided to post my rush at UCSB. It starts on Monday, the 23rd with recruitment info night and ends on Saturday, the 28th. I'm nervous and excited, but my friends, all former greeks, have been very helpful and all-around supportive. I call them former greeks not because they've graduated, but because they have, for a variety of reasons, disaffiliated from their sorority. You'd think they'd be a bit bitter and negative about my going through, but they've been all for it. Their particular chapter has just had some problems. But, anyways. The chapters are

AXO
Alpha Delta Pi
AEPhi
Alpha Phi
Tri Delt
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
and Sigma Kappa

I'm not sure if EK will be going through recrutiment, because they lost their chapter house as well as a lot of members.

I'm a junior transfer who started going to UCSB in January and decided to wait until the fall to go through rush so I'd get to meet all the houses, although I did go to DG's and APhi's open houses in the Spring quarter. I loved DG!!! I will be going shopping this weekend to pick out some cute outfits and I will keep you all updated!!!

I can expect about 400 other girls to be going through rush. I'm young for a junior (19, wont be 20 until the end of March) but I'm still a junior, so I hope it doesn't take me out of the game!! lol..Oh well, I'm going into it with an open heart, although I'm a bit partial to DG!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2002, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Leilani (by the way, I've always thought that is an absolutely beautiful name... are you Hawaiian, by chance??),

I hope you have a WONDERFUL rush! I have a few very close girlfriends going to UCSB... lol I'd be surprised if they weren't rushing, too.

Best of luck to you!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:16 AM

Good luck Leilani, please keep us posted with your progress during recruitment!

Christin
Old 09-20-2002, 08:46 AM

Good luck
Old 09-20-2002, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Leilani's not my real name, but I had a best friend when I was younger with the name and I've always wanted to name my daughter that(when i have kids..lol).

I'm really excited and my friends have planned a fun weekend for me because when rush starts, we pnm's are not allowed to go to any parties(fraternity or otherwise) until it's over and, get this, school starts on the 26th, a thursday, and partying is usually thursday night thru sunday...lordy!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooops,also thank you to all who have wished me good luck!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck

Good luck! You are a great girl and I really do want to wish you the best. Keep your head up high and smile smile smile!
Promise me that you'll have fun!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly enough the new house mom at Kappa (I was a Recruitment Counselor and so I know all of the house moms) is the old Sigma Kappa one from UCSB....
Old 09-21-2002, 07:23 PM

What happened to Sigma Kappa?
Old 09-21-2002, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

GO DG! Good luck with RUSH but Im partial too to DG as I just joined a few weeks ago at Clemson. Keep us updated!
Old 09-22-2002, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

EK

Shopgirl-
They lost their house because a LOT of girls chose to disaffiliate. A lot of the newer girls in the house weren't meshing well with the older members about the direction of the house and what it was turning into. A lot of my friends were the younger members and they wanted to build the house's reputation and get more events. They wanted to step up the qualifications of the incoming girls and make the "outside packaging" more appealing. Just a lot of politics, basically.

The best houses on campus here, all things considered, just like on some other campuses, are generally the ones with the better looking girls and my friends wanted to find girls of that "caliber", shall we say?, yet they also wanted the well-rounded girl but they received a lot of negativity from the older members. I am neutral on the whole thing, I can't say I wholeheartedly agree or disagree with either side. On the outside looking in, I can see both sides. The older members maybe thought the new girls were being superficial or something and the younger EKs were trying to create a new reputation and revamp the whole sorority. My friends were way more into the all-encompassing facets of sorority life and they always worked hard and had a lot of enthusiasm in regards to events and their philanthropy. The older girls often seemed(and I am just going from my perception I wasn't around them 24/7) just plain burned-out but yet die-hard to what they were trying to cling to....familiarity?!?

I doubt they will be going through recruitment this coming week. It's kind of sad, really, because some of my friends put in so much time and effort and now when they look back they have only bitter feelings, although overall, like I said before, they still fully support greek life in general and the girls who have disaffiliated are all really tight with each other and they often speak of the irreplaceable bonds they have. I can sense that they honestly care about one another.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

info night

Tonight was the 1st night, but not the OFFICIAL official night of rush. It was basically an info night and an introduction of the Recruitment Counselors and the different sororities. Since I've been on campus since january, i knew the affiliations of a few of the Counselors. The meeting lasted from 7-9. Apparently, about 75 extra girls showed up for rush than anticipated and were being registered on the spot. Late registering costs $75, up from $55 during the normal time period. I met two nice girls, one a sophomore, one a freshman while waiting to be let in the auditorium.
The Rho Chis performed a few skits, basing it off of MTV's Sorority Life, Survivor, and American "Sorority" Idol. It was pretty cute and I kind of liked how in general, everyone seemed to be just into the moment and being very casual. It made the whole thing a lot less intimidating that they didnt seem to really put on any "airs" or whatever, lol. Everybody just seemed to be very excited and wanted us to relax and just have a good time. I was so nervous all the way leading up to this, and now I am just really looking forward to meeting some cool girls tomorrow. Tomorrow my group meets at 9:15 and we will go to all 11 houses(One of the Rho Chis was an EK, so I assume perhaps they ARE going through rush, but I don't know where we will meet their girls because they lost their house). The whole thing will go from there until about 6, 6:30.

The weather may or may not be cold, but tomorrow I plan to wear a semi-long,maybe mid-calf?!? form fitting dark green cotton/nylon skirt and tight black sweater with buttons on the collarbone area from Banana Republic. For shoes, I'm thinking my black leather Bongo slides with a slight heel. Jewelry is pretty minimalist, I'm just wearing what I wear everyday, my high school class ring and a sapphire ring my parents gave me for christmas and white gold semi-hoop earrings.

The whole look is pretty sophisticated. After tomorrow, there will be the first cut, so I definitely want to dress to impress. They suggested to dress casual, but no jeans, but I want to just go ahead and look my personal best because that is just part of my style. I like to be fashion-conscious as well as appropriate for the occasion. I will be getting some shut-eye now...boy am I tired!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Have fun leilanimoon.....

.....you sound like you have a wonderful attitude and would be an outstanding addition to any sorority....I know I speak for other GC rush thread addicts when I say we will be checking GC every spare to follow your adventures! So don't leave us in suspense!
By the way, I think there may be some 'hidden' meaning in your beautiful GC handle....leilaniMOON....Gamma Phi crescent MOON....hmmmmm!
Go Gamma Phi Beta!!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck

Good luck I know that you'll find the perfect house for you!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

leilanimoon
I'm so excited for you! It sounds like you're making a very informed choice going through recruitment, it should be very interesting to read all your thoughts and impressions of each round.
Good luck to you, I can't wait to hear how it goes!
violets