GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,336
0 members and 2,336 guests
No Members online

Old 09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on getting your top three! I have to pull for KKG, my mom was one and they have such a strong national. But I am sure all the houses are great and you will end up in the best place for you! Good luck!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Uptowngirl,
I'm so happy rush is going so well for you. It really seems as if you have gone through this process with a very open heart and mind and that has made the experience a good one for you.
Thanks so much for posting your update, I can't wait for the next installment!
Go Canadian Greeks!
violets
Old 09-26-2002, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
When is your next event??? I'm dying to know how everything goes! I'm not even going to give my shameless Gamma Phi plug because I know any the three chapters you're going back to would be awesome... Gamma Phi because, duh, that's my chapter and I love it to death, ADPi because it's the chapter of one of the greatest friends I've ever had and they're amazing, and Kappa because my best best best friend is a Kappa and they are my favorite girls in the world (next to GPhiB of course!).

Good luck and I can't wait to see what happens next!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You are kicking some butt at rush, girlie! I can't wait to find out if you're going to be my new sister or not! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-27-2002, 12:35 AM

The next event is Preference which is this Saturday evening.
As an alumna, I will be at the Delta Gamma location.
As I will not be seeing uptown_girl at Delta Gamma's Preference Night, I will not have the opportunity to call you my Delta Gamma sister, but I hope to be able to call you my Panhellenic sister! So, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say "Enjoy your Preference Evening, it will be surely a beautiful night to remember!"

Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta Pi and Gamma Phi Beta are all terrific groups on campus, and I think you will enjoy yourself, no matter what happens!

And of course, be sure to report back and let us know what happens to you on Bids Day (which is Sunday!).

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 09-27-2002 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking OOOOH!

I just love seeing my Gamma Phi Beta as one of your top three! All three are indeed awesome but my heart is pulling for GFB !!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Uptown girl,
I'm so excited to read your next update. I re-read your posts and was again, so impressed with how open you are. Good luck this weekend!

Go Panhellenic!

Best recruitment wishes,
violets
Old 09-28-2002, 04:21 PM

Okay Ladies, tonight is Saturday Night, which means Preference Night here in Vancouver, beautiful British Columbia. I just finished putting my dessert platter together (we alumnae have to help helpful, right?).

Since Uptown_Girl will be going through any combination of Gamma Phi Beta and/or Kappa Kappa Gamma and/or Alpha Delta Pi, I will not be seeing her, but I will be sure to report from the "old girls" side of rush...

And Uptown_Girl, please sure to come back after Bids Day and tell us what was the result!
Old 09-28-2002, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
Okay Ladies, tonight is Saturday Night, which means Preference Night here in Vancouver, beautiful British Columbia. I just finished putting my dessert platter together (we alumnae have to help helpful, right?).
me too! ... I'll be helping out as well! ... what are you bringing as your dessert? for me its the same old standy that I've been bringing forever it seems - good 'ol chocolate chip cookies for ~ it's one thing I'm known for!!

CP, uptown_girl, Siobhan & everyone else at UBC ~ best wishes tonight at Pref & tomorrow!

With Greek Love,
~ jen

UBC AGD alumna (DZ '97)
Old 09-28-2002, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by canadajen
What are you bringing as your dessert?
NANAIMO BARS!
Old 09-28-2002, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well guys, I thought I'd give you an update, because I ended earlier than I thought. I only got one invite back for dinner, so I'm pretty disappointed. Not because of the group (I really like them, they were my second choice) but because if they don't give me a bid, I don't get to join the wonderful world of greek!

I'm sort of confused, because I got some really positive vibes from the other two groups (many people said they were SOOO glad to see me back), but only one invite. It really made me think about what happened on Wed. I was a little uncomfortable (not because of the girls) but because I was feeling a little ill, and that may have something to do with it. I wish I could go back and redo that evening.

If I get a bid from the sorority tonight, I will be really happy though. Looking around this evening, thinking "these girls could be my sisters tomorrow" I felt very positive about them. I almost cried when they were telling their stories, knowing how bad I want this.

Oh well, hopefully tomorrow will go okay. I'll definitly let you all know.

A little confused, upset, and hopeful,

uptown_girl
Old 09-29-2002, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI ...

~ Quota has been set at 20! (a big number here - total is 40, with some chapters already at 30-35 members!)

~ Bids will be given out around 11 AM today

~ Girls join their new chapters at around noon & each chapter does their own thing to celebrate Bid Day!

GO UBC GREEKS!!

I attended pref as an alum tonight (last night) and LOVED it ... I cannot wait to meet the chapter's newest members in a few short hours from now!!!

oh yeah ... an early Congratulations to all seven of UBC sororities for a phenomenal recruitment this year , and best wishes with your new members!! Can't wait to hear the results!!

Fraternally,

~ Jen
AGD - DZ '97
Old 09-29-2002, 03:35 PM

Yes, I was really thrilled with Delta Gamma's Preference Night. There were some wonderful young women at both parties.
Today is Bids Day, and while I will not be there, I do plan to witness the Pledging Ceremony and will meet our new Pi Alpha's, then.

uptown_girl, please let us know what's going on?
I am so curious & somewhat worried about you, and I hope that your rush turned out well......
Old 09-29-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

yes please tell us !

Tell us what is happening uptown girl !!!
Old 09-29-2002, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up one word describes UBCs 2002 Recruitment - AWESOME!!!

Uptown_girl, I CANNOT wait to hear your update ~ I hope your dream of becoming Greek came true, and that you are out celebrating with your new sisters! Please be sure to let us know how things turned out ... CutiePie2000, I hope your nanaimo bars were well-received and that everything turned out well for your chapter ~ I didn't hear specifically about how they did, but I am hoping that it went GREAT!!

Ok, here is an update ...

Quota was set at 20, with 4 chapters taking 22. I know for sure that A G D (YAY!!!! ) and Gamma Phi took 22, and what has traditionally been the smallest chapter, Alpha Phi (we're talking under 8 members up to 2 years ago, and then about 10-15) proudly welcomed 15 new members!!! Way to go APhi!!!!!

Bids were presented in a cool way this year too - the same way that the fraternities have been doing it for the past several years. Since we don't have house or our Panhel bldg any longer (torn down 4 yrs ago), bids are usually signed in an academic building, then all of the new members troop over to another building where each of the chapters are waiting for them in a class room. This year, however, bids were given out in the SUB and then each sorority took a turn lining up at the back of the building where each of their new members walked down the stairs & was presented/announced to the waiting, loudly cheering sorority below. Other chapters waited around the corner so that each sorority could welcome their newest sisters individually though you could hear the excited cheers and chants echoing off nearby buildings!! ... I arrived just as the AGDs welcomed 22 amazing new women (including all 3 legacies - 2 in-house!) into our sisterhoold, bringing the chapter to 57 - currently the biggest at UBC, and in fact, one of the biggest sororities at UBC since the 1950s!!! YAY AGD!!!

After the new members meet their respective chapters, then it is up to each individual chapter how to celebrate. I know that AGD met inside the SUB, handed out 2 t-shirts to each new member, did some raucous cheering(!!!) and then headed outside the bldg again for a big picture taking frenzy (no pro photographers here, just a few alum like me and about a zillion cameras!). From there rides were arranged and the entire chapter headed downtown for a celebratory lunch!! I know that D Phi E is having a Bids Day function hosted by their alumni. Tomorrow day most if not all new members will proudly wear their shirts to annouce to the rest of campus their proud new Greek home, and then tomorrow night is an all-Greek Bids Day party at a building on campus, and coming soon is Serenade ~ one of UBC's BESTEST EVER Greek traditions!

Phew! sorry for the very long update Congratulations once again to all seven UBC sororities for the best recruitment in recent memory!!

Fraternally,
~ Jen (alumna)
AGD - DZ '97
UBC

Last edited by canadajen; 09-29-2002 at 05:48 PM.