GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,494
0 members and 1,494 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Upsilon Chapter

So I'm a Sig at UH but I'm transferring to UT because UH doesn't offer an aerospace engineering undergrad. If I go to UT, can I recolonize Upsilon chapter, and if so, what are the steps in doing this, and if not, why?

Thanks brothers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Our expansion plans are generally charted out years in advance. To my knowledge, UT isn't on the agenda. I've heard various things visiting with people involved with HQ, but won't repeat any of that information online. It wouldn't hurt to contact HQ, but honestly, if they wanted to expand at UT, I doubt the transfer of a single student to that campus would weigh heavily on them as to whether to expand. Expansion at a place like UT would take many years of fundraising and planning with alumni and would require a massive investment on the part of the alumni and HQ.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
The problem, as I understand it, is that at UT Austin the housing situation is a non starter (no go). The land cost and taxes make it near impossible to get a structure if you do not already have one. A housing plan is a definite must-have for our expansion plans. Sigma Nu doesn't require you have a house/land - but there has to be a feasible plan for sometime in the future.

The alumni support should still be there, as that was a pretty darn big chapter. I show their total initiated members at a whopping 2,055 (including Jon Hamm - Upsilon #1991).

I'm pretty sure the location/house that Kappa Sig is currently in used to be Sigma Nu's chapter house. Not sure of the circumstances behind the change of ownership - but thinking they probably want a do-over on the sale of that property.

Perhaps the thinking was they would be off-campus for good after they were removed (as I remember some of the details, and it was a REALLY bad situation....)