GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,199
1 members and 1,198 guests
3DGator

Old 01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring To A University Without My Chapter

*Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this post, I'm new around here!*

So here's the situation: I'm a second semester college freshman who did not go through formal recruitment but took an open bid from my NPC sorority back around late September and got initiated several weeks later. I wasn't really aware of what Greek Life did or was involved in until I got to college and went to a few open sisterhoods, and now that I know about its connections to philanthropy and it's great support system for its members, I don't want to be without it.

I am a very academically driven student, and I've discovered that the university I am attending now does not provide the best environment for that, which is one of the main reasons why I am looking to transfer elsewhere. This isn't much of a surprise, the choice to attend this school was more hasty than I would have preferred, but I didn't see myself wanting to transfer when I joined my sorority, that's why I went through with it. My education is extremely important to me though, and I do love my sisters and everything, I just think it is best that I find a university that I feel suits my drives and aspirations more.

I've read that it is possible to transfer to a school with a chapter of your sorority and have a chance to get accepted in by them through a voting system. However, the sorority I am affiliated with is extremely regional and there is not another university in my state or any neighboring states that hosts a chapter of this sorority, let alone also having my major (I've done a lot of looking and research about all of this).

So I'm really looking for some advice here, and I know the members of this forum can be really helpful. I love Greek Life and everything it stands for, but my education is so important too, and I'd hate to have to give it all up because I signed that open bid just a few short months ago. I've been a member for such a short time that I haven't even really had a chance to get that heavily involved like I would love to.

Long story short, would there be any possible way for me to stay a part of Greek Life if I were to transfer to another school without a chapter of this sorority? I really don't mind if there are a ton of hoops to jump through for this, in my mind it would be worth the effort.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

If you mean can you rush again, no. because you've been initiated. I expect you could go alum with your chapter. Others here will have other suggestions as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

If you've already been initiated to an NPC sorority there is no way to be initiated to another one, and it is likely that the chapter would easily find out if you tried this. So I wouldn't recommend even considering that.

If you transfer to a school without your sorority on campus, you can try to get involved in the local alumnae association (hopefully there is one).

Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that there are no schools in the surrounding states with your sorority and major, but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks,

I do understand that going through formal recruitment at the new school is not an option, especially behind my sorority's back. I don't want to be sneaky or anything, I just don't know if there is anyone I can talk to about this. None of it is out of bad blood, just to better my education and give myself better opportunities to thrive.

And in response to robinseggblue, there is only one active collegiate chapter of my sorority in my state (mine), and four total in the neighboring states, and none of these four universities have my specific fine arts major. There is a small handful of alumnae associations that I can look into though! I promise I have done the research on this, and it just saddens me that if I want a good education as well as the opportunity to stay in Greek Life that I would have to travel several states away.

Thanks again for your replies!

Last edited by LovelyLiving; 01-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that there are no schools in the surrounding states with your sorority and major, but maybe that's just me.
She might not be able to afford out of state or to travel several states away. In my state, there are some majors that are hard to find. They are either at two schools: one public and one private or at just one. Pharmacy is at one private and one public only. Biomedical engineering is only at one, you can start at a couple but have to transfer to the main campus. Computer Information Systems is only at one. Liberal arts majors are easier to find, but certain STEM and information technology majors are not.

OP: there are career organizations on most campuses. They may not be like your sorority, but a professional organization might be able to fill some of those needs.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
OP: there are career organizations on most campuses. They may not be like your sorority, but a professional organization might be able to fill some of those needs.
Thanks for this advice! It might not be the same, but it is definitely something I can look into!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The suggestion to look into a professional or pre-professional organization is a great one.

Look into other groups on campus as well. I think you will find that the camaraderie that you found through your sorority can be present more often than you realize (ex. sports teams, performance group such as dance or a capella, newspaper E-board, robotics competition team, org that puts on a huge event for the school, etc.). I would say that, in general, if the student organization is such that it forces people to spend a lot of time together toward a common goal, it is likely that you can find a similar type of camaraderie there.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 01-15-2017, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
She might not be able to afford out of state or to travel several states away. In my state, there are some majors that are hard to find. They are either at two schools: one public and one private or at just one. Pharmacy is at one private and one public only. Biomedical engineering is only at one, you can start at a couple but have to transfer to the main campus. Computer Information Systems is only at one. Liberal arts majors are easier to find, but certain STEM and information technology majors are not.
Thanks! I graduated with a very common and popular major, so I was having trouble wrapping my head around this. You made great points and I appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey lovelies! I just came across this old thread I started last year and wanted to provide an update and some quick advice for anyone who might stumble upon it in the future! Also, thank you to everyone for the kind tips!!

I ended up sticking it out at my school for another 2 semesters (finishing sophomore year), and here's what I have to say from that experience. First, Greek Life can be AMAZING, however, your personal priorities will always be more important. In those 2 semesters, I held an exec. board position, took on a little sister I cherish, and even traveled across the country thanks to Alpha Sigma Alpha. So in all honesty, I highly suggest making the best out of whatever predicament you are in and seeing if you can make your current situation work, but ultimately, I fully support everyone putting their individual needs first, even if that means leaving Greek Life behind.

If you find that you are stuck between choosing your chapter or your education, please put your education first. I was able to make my time in my chapter fun, but throughout that time my general happiness didn't improve and I took on a lot of unnecessary stress in regards to everything outside of the sorority. If you are not fully happy in your situation, things can and will slip (i.e. your gpa, chapter duties, socializing, sleep...). In the end, I've come to terms with giving up active membership in ASA and going early alum. for the sake of finding a school that I'm both proud of and comfortable in, and that's okay; in fact, it's been wonderful rediscovering and challenging myself this year. And as several others stated, there are so many other campus organizations at every school to check out and fill that void, and if you're lucky, some schools have ways to keep their transfer students involved in the Greek community even if their chapter isn't present at that campus.

(BIG NOTE: CONSIDER YOUR FINANCES!! Doing 2 years and transferring isn't always cheap, especially if credits don't transfer with you! That is really the only thing I do regret about not transferring sooner, so the earlier you make a decision the better! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a semester or year off to figure things out!)

TL;DR: Your needs beat any Greek affiliation, because the memories you make when you are truly happy and proud can easily match the memories you make in a sorority, especially if the only thing keeping you happy at your school is that sisterhood. Try your hardest to make things work if you truly value the opportunities afforded by Greek Life, but research the heck out of your other options and do what is best for you in the long run.

Good luck to everyone trying to find their way in this mess of a world, things can and do work out, I promise! ALAM!! 💖💖💖

PS- If anyone needs someone to talk to about something like this, I'm completely open to PMs! You aren't alone in this! 💖
Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 AM

I’m glad that you were able to enjoy two years worth of active membership, as well as find another school that suited your needs. I do, however, question your characterization of our sorority as “extremely regional.” That would seem to be saying that chapters are only located in one area; however, quite the opposite is true, and we are expanding to states and areas of the country we haven’t colonized in previously. I hope you have found opportunities for enrichment and fellowship at your current institution.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad things worked out for you!

Just something to keep in mind: your membership in ASA is for a lifetime. While it may seem like you didn't have a long time as a collegiate sister... remember that no one truly does. Even if you went to your original university for four years, it's still ONLY four years. At AST's Convention over the summer, I met one of our oldest living members, and she's in her 90s! Alumnae membership has been so rewarding for me and for so many other women here on Greekchat. I'm sure everyone here would tell you that you have sisters all around you, even if there aren't any collegiate chapters, and there are so many ways to stay involved after you graduate.

Good luck to you!

@~/~~~~
Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the kind words, and I completely understand what you both are getting at! I've had the opportunity to attend several conferences in my time and continue to stay active and communicate with sisters across the country after going alum, which I'm 100% grateful for! I didn't mean to belittle membership, but when I was a freshman I was under the impression that active membership was the only worthwhile membership, but I was completely wrong. You are both exactly right in membership being for life, being an active alum member is just as fantastic. What I think I didn't make clear was that going early alum and staying connected is a great option to consider if that's what's best for you (because I didn't realize that going early alum was actually a good option at the time, it honestly felt taboo) instead of staying at a school that isn't good for you just to maintain active membership.

As for my regional comment I made as a freshman, I still defend that to an extent, as I'm from a southern chapter, and there are significantly less of us down here than, say, the northeast. For me, I had no choice but to go early alum if I wanted to stay in state, as (according to the chapter locator on our website, as well as every website of the schools I considered in my transfer process) there is not another collegiate chapter located in my state, and only one in each of my neighboring states. It's a similar issue with primarily southern chapters I've worked with that have only recently expand North, definitely not just an ASA thing at all. I've celebrated the founding of new chapters in neighboring states, so we are definitely growing down here, I didn't mean to deny that, but I've met several other sisters (in various sororities) facing this same issue upon contemplating transferring, so it isn't a non-issue.

I simply meant to create a platform for conflicted members to find advice or hear other member's stories. I love ASA with all my heart, but this was a tough experience that I'd hate others to struggle with or feel alone in like I did. I truly appreciate everyone who loves the organization enough to defend it, but I truly mean no harm, promise!

Last edited by LovelyLiving; 11-28-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

How about trying to create a Chapter there?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Another amazing option I highly recommend looking into!

I've personally looked into opening a chapter while researching schools, but it ended up not being a feasible option as I opted for a school with no social Greek organizations due to a scholarship offer, which was something I contemplated for a while. If it is an option for anyone though, 100% look into it, it's definitely a great option and opening new chapters benefits everyone! Plus, it's not as scary and impossible as it might sound!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
How about trying to create a Chapter there?
I recommend you stay in your lane, especially on a topic such as this.

@~/~~~~