GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,200
Threads: 115,190
Posts: 2,163,829
Welcome to our newest member, HymanU3090
» Online Users: 332
3 members and 329 guests
DeltaEmi88, oproys, tntnorthumill
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:26 AM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 459
Carlow University (Pittsburgh)

Anyone know what's going on there? It says that they're open for a new Greek system. Just curious.
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:11 PM
LouisaMay LouisaMay is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: District 3
Posts: 788
I don't know anything, but that would very exciting! Carlow is a nice school!
__________________
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Blest be the tie...

Be a Volunteer!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,908
I saw a FB page from 2012 for a local sorority but no idea if it’s still going. The school is very small so any national that bit on this would have to be content with a chapter that is smaller.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 PM
PittDZ PittDZ is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingwood, TX (suburb of Houston)
Posts: 11
Carlow currently has about 1400 students and was founded as Mount Mercy. It is a Catholic school that used to be all women that is now co-ed, but remains 84% women. They do not currently have any NPC groups, but have an NPHC chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha. They have recently started several sports teams for both men and women, so perhaps they are expanding their recruitment. I went to Pitt back in the '70's and they had a decent reputation as a small school with a good Nursing program back then. (We used to go "traying" (sledding on cafeteria trays) on their campus that had some nice steep hills. In more recent years they seem to promote being LGBT-friendly. It will be interesting to see if they are indeed seeking NPC extension.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:55 AM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 459
I didn't know it was still 84% female. I'm from Pittsburgh, and I went to Catholic school, so I know tons of people who went to Carlow (and Duquesne). It will be interesting to see what happens.

Duquesne and Robert Morris Greek systems seem to be doing well.
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
Carlow currently has about 1400 students and was founded as Mount Mercy. It is a Catholic school that used to be all women that is now co-ed, but remains 84% women. They do not currently have any NPC groups, but have an NPHC chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha. They have recently started several sports teams for both men and women, so perhaps they are expanding their recruitment. I went to Pitt back in the '70's and they had a decent reputation as a small school with a good Nursing program back then. (We used to go "traying" (sledding on cafeteria trays) on their campus that had some nice steep hills. In more recent years they seem to promote being LGBT-friendly. It will be interesting to see if they are indeed seeking NPC extension.
Is the AKA chapter specific to Carlow or Pittsburgh wide? From what I remember from about a Decade ago, the common setup for the NPHC chapters was a city wide chapter anchored at Pitt...
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Is the AKA chapter specific to Carlow or Pittsburgh wide? From what I remember from about a Decade ago, the common setup for the NPHC chapters was a city wide chapter anchored at Pitt...
Carlow is still part of the city-wide chapter, according to their website.

A standalone chapter at Pitt seems to be suspended.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 PM
PittDZ PittDZ is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingwood, TX (suburb of Houston)
Posts: 11
AKA in Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Carlow is still part of the city-wide chapter, according to their website.

A standalone chapter at Pitt seems to be suspended.
You are right. Carlow AKA's are part of the Citywide chapter that also includes Chatham, Robert Morris, Carnegie Mellon, and Duquesne. Their standalone Iota chaper at Pitt was suspended in 3/2018 for 10 years after the Mom of a pledge went to the police after finding that her daughter and her pledge sisters had been physically abused leaving marks in a hazing ritual in the basement of a home in Penn Hills. The Mom herself was also an AKA, so that had to have been a difficult decision. They had a long tradition at Pitt.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
You are right. Carlow AKA's are part of the Citywide chapter that also includes Chatham, Robert Morris, Carnegie Mellon, and Duquesne. Their standalone Iota chaper at Pitt was suspended in 3/2018 for 10 years after the Mom of a pledge went to the police after finding that her daughter and her pledge sisters had been physically abused leaving marks in a hazing ritual in the basement of a home in Penn Hills. The Mom herself was also an AKA, so that had to have been a difficult decision. They had a long tradition at Pitt.
Yup. Iota is at Pitt, Alpha Sigma is everyone else (and used to include Indiana University of Pennsylvania, but now that is its own chapter, Rho Rho)
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,093
Getting back to the original situation. Right now the Greek Letter Organizations listed on the Carlow website are:
Alpha Kappa Alpha: Sorority (National Pan-Hellenic Council)
Alpha Phi Omega: Community Service: (Professional Fraternity Association)
Beta Beta Beta: Biology Honorary
Kappa Delta Epsilon: Education Professional Fraternity.
Psi Chi: Psychology Honorary (ACHS)
Sigma Tau Delta: English Honorary (ACHS)

1365 Undergrads, and 84% women = roughly 1150 women undergrads.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
You are right. Carlow AKA's are part of the Citywide chapter that also includes Chatham, Robert Morris, Carnegie Mellon, and Duquesne. Their standalone Iota chaper at Pitt was suspended in 3/2018 for 10 years after the Mom of a pledge went to the police after finding that her daughter and her pledge sisters had been physically abused leaving marks in a hazing ritual in the basement of a home in Penn Hills. The Mom herself was also an AKA, so that had to have been a difficult decision. They had a long tradition at Pitt.
Thanks for the update. I had no idea what the outcome was. Daaaang.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Happy Alum Happy Alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 131
One of my relatives attended Carlow. I hope one of the NPC sororities colonizes. I hated not being able to share a Greek connection with her.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 AM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 459
Makes me wonder if my alma mater (Point Park) will ever get Greek life? They're really trying to bring in traditional students these days. The majority are still in the performing arts program, which have pretty demanding schedules, so who knows?
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 26,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Getting back to the original situation. Right now the Greek Letter Organizations listed on the Carlow website are:
Alpha Kappa Alpha: Sorority (National Pan-Hellenic Council)
Alpha Phi Omega: Community Service: (Professional Fraternity Association)
Beta Beta Beta: Biology Honorary
Kappa Delta Epsilon: Education Professional Fraternity.
Psi Chi: Psychology Honorary (ACHS)
Sigma Tau Delta: English Honorary (ACHS)

1365 Undergrads, and 84% women = roughly 1150 women undergrads.
My inner child just giggled. When I was a Rho Chi, the other RC and I were trying to get our PNMs to quit with the tent talk. I fondly remember her yelling, "LADIES!! It's SDT, not STD!!"

/swerve
__________________
~*~ honeychile - ~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Makes me wonder if my alma mater (Point Park) will ever get Greek life? They're really trying to bring in traditional students these days. The majority are still in the performing arts program, which have pretty demanding schedules, so who knows?
Point Park University did have Alpha Phi Omega from 1967 to 1973 and 1994-2011.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University of Pittsburgh LouisaMay Alpha Omega Epsilon 8 12-12-2010 08:22 PM
Indiana University of Pittsburgh? AGPhiBete Delta Gamma 1 02-17-2006 09:25 AM
University of Pittsburgh recruitment 04 fire1977 Recruitment 49 09-23-2004 06:07 PM
University of Pittsburgh is advisor-less again SigEp42 Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 17 03-31-2004 11:05 AM
KD wins best sorority at University of Pittsburgh! kddani Greek Life 24 04-09-2003 01:07 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.