GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,127
0 members and 1,127 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Alpha ("Pike") Suspended at Cornell: Alcohol Poisoning

See report on the site of Station WBVR:

http://wvbr.com/news/744

Excerpt:

A Cornell Fraternity has been suspended as of Friday.

The fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, often referred to as PIKE, allegedly sent three undergraduates to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. . . . the three undergraduates had allegedly been drinking excessive amounts of wine. They have, as of Friday morning, been discharged.

Cornell University's Greek system is currently going through its annual "rush week" . . . .

Below is a letter from IFC president Eddie Rooker on about the incident.

Fraternity Members,

I am writing to provide you all with an update of events that occurred last night that resulted in a fraternity having their university recognition temporarily suspended. The suspension is in response to a recruitment event at the fraternity house that resulted in the hospitalization of three students due to alcohol poisoning. These students were transported to the hospital by brothers of the fraternity late last night. The Ithaca Police Department responded to the event as well and are currently investigating along with Cornell University Police. This incident is being taken very seriously and will likely have repercussions that effect the entire system. At this time the fraternity has been instructed to desist from all activities including recruitment.

I am writing to you all to stress the importance of safety the rest of the week. The health and wellness of all individuals attending our events should be a priority at all times. Although hard alcohol and illegal substances are banned at all events this does not mean that other forms of alcohol can not lead to dangerous situations. At the events for the rest of the week you should be keeping an eye on your guests and their alcohol consumption. If someone does need medical attention do not attempt to transport them to the hospital yourself. Call 911 and allow trained medical professionals to deal with the situation. We do have a Medical Amnesty Protocol that applies if you call for an ambulance which will be taken into account when an incident is dealt with from a judicial standpoint.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another article, from the Cornell Chronicle: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...atSuspend.html
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Although hard alcohol and illegal substances are banned at all events this does not mean that other forms of alcohol can not lead to dangerous situations. At the events for the rest of the week you should be keeping an eye on your guests and their alcohol consumption.
It surprises me that alcohol is allowed at Cornell recruitment events at all!

ΦAΔ
AΨΩ
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Even for the fraternities? I mean, the sororities obviously don't serve alcohol during recruitment events, but I didn't think it was that unusual for it to be different for fraternities.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
Even for the fraternities? I mean, the sororities obviously don't serve alcohol during recruitment events, but I didn't think it was that unusual for it to be different for fraternities.
It may not be allowed, but lets be honest, it happens. IFC doesn't usually have that much of a strict watch over rush - and its anarchy compared to the guidance Panhellenic has over formal recruitment.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
from what I understand, most fraternities have a dry rush principle.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm sure it happens, but I was just surprised that the school seems to openly allow it!

ΦAΔ
AΨΩ
Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
It may not be allowed, but lets be honest, it happens. IFC doesn't usually have that much of a strict watch over rush - and its anarchy compared to the guidance Panhellenic has over formal recruitment.
I know at my school IFC officers do house checks during men's rush. Many of our chapters have had alcohol free housing though so it isn't as much of an issue, plus advisors and alumni come by, and often bring their wives and families so it isn't really that kind of scene. Once bids are handed out though people go off campus and do their thing.

Of course if they really wanted to cut down on alcohol with bid day activities they'd hand out men's bids on Sunday evening as school starts Monday morning and have them hold their events Labor Day weekend.