GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,204
3 members and 1,201 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Budget - Ideas

my chapter has a relatively small rush budget ($2000). any ideas as to some good, unconventional events that would fit into such a budget for a 6 week rush?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPi4Life View Post
my chapter has a relatively small rush budget ($2000). any ideas as to some good, unconventional events that would fit into such a budget for a 6 week rush?
44 Kegs of Natural Light.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lbk_kpd
What kind of restrictions are put on Rush events by your school/your nationals? Where will you be holding the events (in your house? in the student center? in brothers' apartments?) How many events are you trying to plan with that budget? How many people (including brothers) are usually at these events? Do you have the ability to do outdoor or off-campus events? What kind of weather is usually going on during Rush week?

I'd be happy to help (my chapter is used to hosting Recruitment on even less money than that), I just need some more info
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
44 Kegs of Natural Light.
I was about to say...

it just means cheaper whiskey.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Royale Club is even cheaper.

Sam's Club has alot of it on sale for real cheap...you could probably get a handle of Evan as part of a larger package...(i think they come in 6's) for like less than 10 bucks a pop. You're looking at 200 handles.

Not bad. I think at a smaller university it'd be hard pressed to find a group of rushees that could finish off 200 handles.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Royale Club is even cheaper.

Sam's Club has alot of it on sale for real cheap...you could probably get a handle of Evan as part of a larger package...(i think they come in 6's) for like less than 10 bucks a pop. You're looking at 200 handles.

Not bad. I think at a smaller university it'd be hard pressed to find a group of rushees that could finish off 200 handles.
I think I'll stick to the crown reserve.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

basically no restrictions. we are off campus. the way i want to set up rush is 4 or 5 small events on weekdays and 1 major event on the weekends. 42 person chapter.. most brothers attend cheap events. i subsidize it a little for brothers for expensive events. weather good.. its fall rush. we start as soon as school starts. informal rush. many events in house, but we have 7 houses (6 people per house) so theres no 1 giant house.. just one house where we throw all our parties. thanks for your help
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
basically no restrictions. we are off campus. the way i want to set up rush is 4 or 5 small events on weekdays and 1 major event on the weekends. 42 person chapter.. most brothers attend cheap events. i subsidize it a little for brothers for expensive events. weather good.. its fall rush. we start as soon as school starts. informal rush. many events in house, but we have 7 houses (6 people per house) so theres no 1 giant house.. just one house where we throw all our parties. thanks for your help
id tone that down, while you want to maximize opportunities, 4-5 times a week is a bit much, maybe have a particular event on two nights of the week, like tuesday/thursday, big event fri or saturdday, you don't want to exhaust your guys if you do too much, attendance will begin to wear thin in a chapter that small.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
id tone that down, while you want to maximize opportunities, 4-5 times a week is a bit much, maybe have a particular event on two nights of the week, like tuesday/thursday, big event fri or saturdday, you don't want to exhaust your guys if you do too much, attendance will begin to wear thin in a chapter that small.
With that, what I'd suggest is one night that every rushee knows somethings going on.

The Lambda Chi's here have "margarita mondays", which, while not an actual rush event, all the girls know that on Monday, Lambda Chi house is a good place to be.

Perhaps do some sort of bar-b-q or have a beer pong tournament.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

RECRUITMENT IDEAS

One inexpensive idea is a poker tournament. It's a great way for brothers to sit down and have informal discussions with rushees as they play. You can rotate tables now and then, too.

Prizes can be inexpensive things like $5 or $10 food gift certificates for fast food, Applebees, or pizza or movie passes to local theaters. Videos and T-shirts are also good prizes. You can set up the prize allotment as you wish, but it's a good way to spend an evening getting to know guys and not spending a lot of money. You may already have brothers who have poker chips and cards, or if you purchase them--they can be used over and over. Food can be pizzas or something cooked out during the event.

Another good event is some form of basketball tournament with prizes similar to those above given out. Again, it's a good way for brothers to meet and interact with rushees.

If you have a city park and they have facilities, frisbee golf is a great event. You can cook out at the park and let brothers and rushees team up as they wish. Again, prizes can be awarded if you wish, but the event itself is just a good time.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

thx everyone.. a lot of these are actually very consistant w what im already planning:

my weekday events:

bbq, sports w brothers (football, baseball, hockey), driving range, poker night, nfl games at the house, pool hall, bowling, trip to philly for cheesesteaks, rope swing (by a nearby lake), and wing night

major weekend events:

strip club, comedy club, pudding wrestling, go-karts, beruit tourney, mlb game

also... we have something similar to "margarita mondays" like at your school.. we have something called "wednesday night club" at my house which is basically a regular beruit party that everyone knows takes place every wednesday night

and this is coupled w the usual themed parties on the weekend nights of course
Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

That sounds like a blast! I'd be totally signed up for all that! (especially the strip club )
Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
pudding wrestling,
Like...two dudes wrestling?

In Pudding?

Isn't there something a bit more heterosexual?

However, I suppose two females wrestling in pudding could be exciting.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Like...two dudes wrestling?

In Pudding?

Isn't there something a bit more heterosexual?

However, I suppose two females wrestling in pudding could be exciting.
jello would be better, you get the same effect, but if there happens to be a "wardrobe malfunction" it seems it would be a whole lot better.