GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,404
2 members and 1,402 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 PM

The decision to go alcolhol free can be made by the Inter/National HQ, the collegiate chapter, the corp board or the school.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Tom, mccallan25 is right.

This is the list of IFC/NIC fraternities that have some sort of fraternity wide alcohol-free housing. This list may be out of date and there may be more fraternities to add.

Alpha Kappa Lambda
Delta Sigma Phi
Delta Upsilon
FarmHouse
Kappa Delta Phi
Phi Delta Theta
Phi Gamma Delta
Phi Kappa Sigma
Phi Kappa Theta
Sigma Nu
Theta Chi

To be clear, other fraternities may have chapters that are alcohol free. And heck, the majority of their chapters might be alcohol free. However, as far as a fraternity-wide policy, there aren't that many. And just to add, it doesn't mean that ever chapter of the fraternities listed above abide by the policy. Also, some of the fraternities may have a clause that allows a chapter to opt out of the policy. I seem to recall that was possible for one (maybe more?) of the fraternities. I just can't remember which specific fraternity.
We specifically voted down the alcohol free housing proposal about 6-7 years ago. It's not a no-strings-attached type of situation. Chapters that make grades are not restricted by IHQ on alcohol though (aside from the normal risk management policy).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-14-2006, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
I think, in URI's case, it has to do with reputation. The school has a rep as a party school, and by saying that Greek orgs are alcohol free, they're trying to reverse that old tradition.

I agree, though, that we have to be careful of our wording. We shouldn't make ourselves out to be something that we're obviously not.
Yes, we were voted top party school by some poll maybe three times in the early 90s, and Greeks suffered for it. About half of the fraternities are gone now, all but one on the main street of campus being kicked off (so frat row is no longer), the last finally building a new house in Greek Circle. The campus also got rid of all bars too. They didn't truly crack down on the drinking at the fraternity houses until after I graduated in 2001 though. Before that if you were caught you were in trouble, but everyone did it at the beginning of the year as part of rush. Now their rush is totally dry, although I'm not sure if it's become more formal in the process or anything.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

They campus got rid of all the bars??? Good Lord that is ridiculous.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Now they're about 15 minutes away. So a ton of people moved off campus to the beach where there are tons of summer homes to rent which is also closer to the bars, and now the town is fighting with the school because of all those students being loud and having parties. Led to a lot of drunk driving too if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting info and thank you one an all!

Maybe I take a lot for granted because of Risk Management that most Nationals are covering themselfs from possible law suits.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GVSU_SigPi_Gea
Sigma Pi recently updated its stance on FIPG Standards this summer at our convocation in an effort to deter stupid FIPG (generally drinking) violations [open source parties, etc].

The first FIPG violation results in a $500 fine to the chapter, the second fine is $1000 and the third violation results in a review hearing to discuss whether the charter should be revoked.

Of course, offenses expire after four years, but even so, these are very stringent punishments levied onto the chapters. I feel that the intent of our change of FIPG is established to deter universities from removing chapters after ONE FIPG violation. (hopefully)