GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,198
3 members and 2,195 guests
flamboyanttree, indygphib, naraht

Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, the news was "good"...then it wasn't. Pop had a heart catheterization, which initially the report was "He's fine, minor blockage, they'll do a stint." But then it came back from my mom that the major artery to his heart is 100% blocked. So blocked that they couldn't get the instrument to where it needed to be, despite repeated attempts. The next step is usually open-heart surgery, but his lung capacity is reduced because of many years of smoking before he quit in the 80s, so they didn't do that. I guess he's had undiagnosed heart disease for years*.

I guess what happens now is that he is on medication for pretty much the rest of his life, but the biggest problem is that he can no longer drive. And I think that is going to be the hardest part for him. Because it was so blocked, he could have a heart attack at any time- even while driving. He lives independently at the moment, but he's recovering at my parents house right now, but they're hoping he'll move in with them. It's just not going to be a pleasant transition for him, loosing his freedom in a oner.

* This worries me on another level- his wife, my mom's mom, died of heart disease in her mid-40s, before I even got to meet her. My mom has always struggled with her weight, and she hovers in the "prediabetic" phase of things. Now, she's been doing better in the last 5 years, and so now I'm terrified that she's going to have heart issues, too . I just can't handle the thought of life without my mom.

On top of all of this- while all this was going on- I was in a staff meeting where we were told that 1 in 4 of my coworkers will loose their job next week...so I'm freaking the hell out.

I am loosing my hair from stress, already
Old 05-19-2013, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Omega Phi Alpha lost a dear member to a recurrence breast cancer this morning, Ann DeMatteo. She's a former National President and the only sister to have been awarded our highest award twice. I just ask that you please keep her family, friends, and sisters in your prayers.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Bad news ... Mom is back in the hospital, and the outlook is bleak. My parents went to the ER at maybe 1am with my mother complaining of severe pain that even morphine wouldn't relieve. Turns out her esophagus has perforated (she has esophageal cancer) and she also has a pulmonary embolism.

So my father called me around 9am (and let me tell you, that is NOT the way you want to be awakened on a Sunday morning - or any morning!). My husband and I threw together an overnight bag and went over to the hospital. She's in the ICU, unconscious and intubated. The vital signs display showed that she was tachycardic with a blood pressure of 60 systolic. (!) (Turns out the BP cuff hadn't been placed properly and her BP was actually more like 120/60.)

I hope she heard me when I said, "I love you, Mom."
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Bad news ... Mom is back in the hospital, and the outlook is bleak. My parents went to the ER at maybe 1am with my mother complaining of severe pain that even morphine wouldn't relieve. Turns out her esophagus has perforated (she has esophageal cancer) and she also has a pulmonary embolism.

So my father called me around 9am (and let me tell you, that is NOT the way you want to be awakened on a Sunday morning - or any morning!). My husband and I threw together an overnight bag and went over to the hospital. She's in the ICU, unconscious and intubated. The vital signs display showed that she was tachycardic with a blood pressure of 60 systolic. (!) (Turns out the BP cuff hadn't been placed properly and her BP was actually more like 120/60.)

I hope she heard me when I said, "I love you, Mom."
I'm so sorry. I'm confident she heard you. All of the hospice information says that hearing is the last thing to go and people usually hear you up until the end. Keep talking to her. *hugs*
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So sorry, aephi alum! Praying for you all.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

{{{{{aephi alum}}}}}

I am so sorry.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Slight correction to my earlier post: My mother actually DID have a BP of 60 systolic. The cuff was not misplaced. She was given some meds for her BP, which returned to an acceptable level. Her heart rate did slow a bit but she was still tachycardic when we left.

I'm staying with my dad tonight. He's a wreck. He's one of those stiff-upper-lip types. I've seen him cry exactly three times in my entire lifetime - once when I went away to college, once when his father died, and once today.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Prayers for you and your family aephi _alum.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh gosh, I am sending prayers and love your way.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

((((((((((((aephialum)))))))))))) Prayers coming your way, for your whole family!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You and your family are in my thoughts.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lifting up all of the people affected by the tornado outbreak yesterday and today. Heartbreaking damage.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM

Much love to you and yours, aephi alum. Wish I could do more than keep you all close in my thoughts.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM

My family and I appreciate all the prayers.

Unfortunately, it looks like Mum is terminal. Dad signed a DNR order today, and we're going to the funeral home tomorrow to make preliminary arrangements. He asked me to pick out a burial dress. Her vitals look good, but that's because of the drugs. Her kidneys are shutting down.

Yesterday, while we were visiting, she woke up very briefly. I took her hand and squeezed, and she squeezed my hand back.

My father has been crying, and he does.not.cry.