GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 546
0 members and 546 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2003, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just about to comment that it IS a legitimate problem at some schools. My school is fairly anti-Greek, at least for a Big 10 university. I don't think that my grade would be blatantly docked for being in a Greek organization, but I've definitely had professors or TAs with prejudices against the Greek system. It's just easier not to wear letters in front of them, because it can bring out their nasty side, or they can simply be blinded by the fact that I'm in a sorority and just automatically assume I'm stupid and shallow because of it, and that sometimes can subtly affect grades.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-28-2003, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I was lucky enough to get my first choice -- at a large SEC school -- as a junior. So, it can be done.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

My first choice was, is and will always be... Alpha Delta Pi!

But as proud as I am to be an ADPi, I am just as proud to be a Greek Sister and share membership in Greek Life with all you!

Old 05-29-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
I rushed my sophomore year after being talked out of rushing freshman. I had friends in all the sororities and felt I would get a bid into a particular one because I was a legacy and good friends with a lot of them.

Well I got dropped from all houses after house parties. Greek Life said it wasnt messed up, but I had two chapters come back and tell me that I was invited back for skit night. This broke my heart, especially when I thought I fit in with the group I wanted to join.

The greek system at my school is very exclusive. Four chapters on campus are very girly, dress very nice, carry the newest Kate Spade bags and their sister hood. I got a Snap bid from Alpha Phi, which was very down to earth and the smallest on campus.

At first I turned by nose up at the thought of joining them, but I remembered thinking during rush that these were the girls that my mom would most like me to be friends with. I went ot bid day and was disappointed to see only 7 pledge sisters. I made the best of it and talked to people I would have never given the time of day to normally. One girl cried the entire time and she eventually quit.

I love my chapter and my sisters to death now and am extremely embrassed that I was "snotty" about joining. I am a much better person because of my sisters and our organization and met people that are truly my friends and not nice to me because I have on cute shoes. Also being smaller, I know everyone in Alpha Phi and we are all pretty close and hang out. We didnt have a lot of drama and even passed around ex boyfriends (while smiling)
Old 05-30-2003, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

k

Last edited by RedHotChiO; 06-02-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I suicided ZTA and got it of course. I had preffed 1 other chapter which folded the next year. They were nice girls but I knew I didn't belong. ZTA had been my 1st choice since day 1. When I first walked into the suite it felt a breath of fresh air and I just knew it had to be Zeta!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we have defered recruitment. I had made up my mind I wanted to be in XYZ. I think it was b/c I got to know one of their sisters so well and she was a sweetie. Well they cut me right before pref. I got my invites for pref and just stared at it, left the room, and just bust out into tears in the arms of my best friend. Breaking down in public is something I do not do! LOL So I dropped out of rush but got a snap bid from DG. I just didn't feel right there but my roomie went DG. So over the next several weeks the DGs would come by to see my roomie and I got to know some of them pretty good and we went out and did stuff. And you all are going to think I'm nuts when I say this but I swear I would be sitting there (on my hall somewhere) and be thinking about the DGs and I swear the next thing I knew they were walking down the hall! Not the whole chapter, just a couple of girls and they were coming to see me! The next thing I knew they handed me another bid! And I accepted! Looking back, I just don't think I would have fit in to XYZ. I had/have so much fun with my DG sisters! Sometimes I think God knows whats better for you than you do or what you think is the right answer. I was meant for DG and didn't even know it!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I did get my first choice, I just didn't see myself happy in any of the other chapters at my school. The other houses are great, but I just didn't know any of the girls from one chapter (after a year at school with under 1000 students), and the other chapter wasn't me. There really isn't anything negative to say. Each chapter has its own style that caters to different types of women and Sigma was my style. We're diverse, we're unique and we have a cum 3.1 GPA!!!! the other chapters have their strengths, but Sigma will always be my number one!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
trisigmaATL-- Which School are you at? I have a friend at Emory in Theta and a PNM going to GA Tech in the fall
Old 05-30-2003, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not want to go through rush. My HS had 2 sororities that hazed a lot and I wanted nothing to do with them. My mother and I were unable to speak a civil word to each other and I decided to go through rush just so I could move down to school a week early. I could stay in the dorms as long as I went to the first day parties. I figured that I would go the first day then drop and spend the rest of rush week at the beach.

My first house was KD. I really liked them but figured that all the houses would be the same and I would probably find out that they were all phonies. At the end of the day, I was in love with KD, knew the houses that would never want me and which ones I could not wait to drop. I then decided to stay in rush until KD dropped me and then I would just go to the beach. I was in total shock when I actually went to preference night at KD. Signed my preference card and then called my parents to see if I could break my dorm contact if KD accepted me.

The next day I was on cloud nine when I opened my bid and was KD! So yes I got my first choice once I started rush, but did not go into rush wanting any house.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Yes and no....I originally went into formal recruitment (as a sophomore) wanting to go KD, just because all my friends were there. When they dropped me after the (edited: third) round, I went to two pref parties: ADPi and Delta Delta Delta. I knew after each party that I would be the happiest at ADPi...I just didn't have that "sisterly" connection with the Tri-Delta ladies (who are ALL wonderful). Our university frowns upon suiciding (I've never heard it called intentional single preference!) so I put them both down, and was so happy to open my bid card and see that Alpha Delta Pi had extended me a bid....so I did get my first choice in the long run, and it worked out better because I got to know an entire group of ladies that I likely would never have met if I had gone KD...some of these ADPi ladies who are now some of my best friends!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Well...mine is kinda a long story, so bear with me.

When I came to college I decided not to go through Rush due to lack of money and time because of my hectic major (Music Education, emphasis in Saxophone). I really wanted to be Greek though. The first day of marching band(which was my first day at college), I saw all the Tau Beta Sigmas with their letters on and doing their chant and I thought, I want to be part of this! I mean, I had no idea music Greeks existed, and I thought, wow, could it be any more perfect??!

However....

I never clicked with anyone who was in TBS at the time. They are, and always have been, SUPER nice, SUPER spirited guys and girls(they're coed here)..but I just didn't click with them. Besides, at the time, I was very shy and felt intimidated by them. So, I decided not to rush Tau Beta Sigma. I was totally depressed, because I REALLY wanted to be Greek.

Then, a local music GLO we had at the time, Phi Theta Sigma(who are now inactive) gave me a bid in the spring. I was once again excited by the idea of being Greek, but I just didn't click with them either.

Then, a friend told me how she was rushing Sigma Alpha Iota. I had heard of them, but I thought they were only for girls in choir because everyone in the chapter at the time was in choir, or had been, or was in choir as well as band. I commented how I wished I could rush to a member who thankfully informed me that I was very much eligible to rush because SAI is a MUSIC GLO, not a choir one. So, I rushed...and pledged..and never felt so at home with a group of girls in my life. It makes me glad I didn't just accept a bid from the other two groups; not that they're bad groups. They're wonderful. But, I didn't click with them. SAI became instant family.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:02 PM

I loved your story, Sairose! You are such a great example of someone who joined a GLO for all the right reasons
Old 06-16-2003, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get my first choice. I came into Recruitment with a biased view because the girl i was rushing with told me all the stereotypes of each chapter and that we wanted to be in XYZ. I went along with her because i wanted to be in the chapter that everyone else wanted. I attended both prefs and was really moved by Sigma Kappa's and not so much bu XYZ but I still put XYZ as my first choice. I was really upset at first. XYZ tried to tell me not to accept my bid and rush again next year that it was a mistake (a common practice by them at my school) but i stuck it out. Now I thank God everyday thatI'm a Sigma Kappa, I would have it no other way. I like to think fate took me where I really belonged
P.S. As for the girl i rushed with, she got XYZ and it was hard to keep a relationship with her (they are our rivals) she ended up dropping before initiation.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Tulsa ChiO
YES YES YES!

Hello all-

I am new here, I have lurked on these boards for quite some time, but I just recently decided to register!
Anyways, I'm a Chi Omega at the University of Tulsa. Chi Omega was my 1st choice from the start. Their are 6 national sororities at my school, and I liked each of them for different reasons, but I personally felt the most home at Chi O. I could see myself with these girls, and being friends, and everything. I was torn between Chi O, and AB sorority..AB was great, and I still have lots of friends in them, and I am sure I would have been very happy there too, but I just knew that Chi-O was for me. I can remember being SO nervous that I wouldn't get in...quota was only 10, and SO many girls loved Chi-O too, that I just didn't know if there would be a place for me, or if they would even offer me a bid. But I took a chance, put them first, and have had zero regrets ever since!!

-Helen