GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,483
2 members and 2,481 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I don't post much but I just had to add my 2 cents to this one. If you are really sincere in wanting to join one of the D9 fraternities and you truly can embrace the idea of serving the African American community for the rest of your life, then I say go for it...as long as you understand what kind of commitment you'd be making. As for getting accepted, you'll never know until you try.

And just to show everyone that we're not lieing when we say we have non-Black members, below are some of the members from our Iota Psi chapter at the University of Michigan (view their site at http://www.umich.edu/~sgrho/). As you can see, this chapter is pretty diverse.

Is your sororities hand sign really the shocker? LOL!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
What about our organizations do you find "boring"? Please humor me.

........yeah, too bad we don't line up on stage, yell, and do choreographed ridiculous dances. I guess we are pretty boring....what, with only our formals, bar tabs, philanthropy events, game days, exchanges, rush trips, retreats, parties, etc. etc. etc. to fall back on.
you're taking the thread way off the subject, but why can't you understand that to many of us in the NPHC your events and how your greek life is structured is not appealing to us...we have retreats and formal events also...I can accept that you don't like stepshows..fine...but none of the your events interests me outside of the aforementioned and community service/philanthropy...if there was no NPHC orgs I wouldn't be greek, point blank...calling what we do ridiculous is a bitch move...you probably couldn't learn a step to save your life... I think its crazy to begin rush not knowing what org you're going to end up in, but to each his own....grow up and stop making light of what doesn't interest you and what you don't understand...

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

........yeah, too bad we don't line up on stage, yell, and do choreographed ridiculous dances. I guess we are pretty boring....what, with only our formals, bar tabs, philanthropy events, game days, exchanges, rush trips, retreats, parties, etc. etc. etc. to fall back on.
well, i usually think the blackface parties and what not are pretty interesting.

*hi five*

that must count for something, right?

Last edited by starang21; 05-14-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

some Kappa Alpha Psis showed me and a few others some steps a few months ago at one of their parties...forgot them in less than 30 minutes...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Is your sororities hand sign really the shocker? LOL!
lol...

i remember a SG Rho tellin me the meanin of their handsign...it stands for 7 in sign language being that they had 7 founders, and also can be made into a Sigma also...
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
And just to show everyone that we're not lying when we say we have non-Black members
We don't need to prove that point to anyone. We tend not to try to "sell" our orgs to blacks so we don't need to try to "sell" our orgs to nonblacks.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

In all honesty, macallan's response is understandable considering that NPHCers volunteered their feelings/critiques of nonNPHC orgs.

How some NPHCers feel about nonNPHC orgs isn't the point. So if NPHCers want to stray even further away from the topic, nonNPHCers have every right to respond however they feel.

For the record: I find some nonNPHC events cool and I know that nonNPHC events can't be painted with a broad brush. Just like you'll go to many NPHC chapters and find they only step and do other such activities 5% of the time.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and Wolfman rocks.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Thus my assumption that the average white interest would be just as dedicated as a black one.

Except I'm not. I'm saying tsk tsk individual members, that's biased and disappointing in today's society particularly when it goes against the values of your organization. If you're not one of those members, you're not getting "tsked." (And frankly, I'm not really "tsk"ing either.) I commented on a post, I'm not taking on the system. My opinion only matters as much as you want it to as I'm not a member of the D9 and thus can only speak as a fellow Greek.

My POV: It's a shame that, despite the organization's guidelines, despite the worthiness of an individual candidate, some people will not vote for a white person because of the color of their skin, and/or the pre-assumption of the person's values and dedication based on the color of their skin.

And, as someone else mentioned, even if Member X is only one vote, a chapter full of members with the same rule means that the majority will keep out white members out of hand.

Personally, IMHO, I find these comments still limiting my freedom to vote who I think should be in my Sorority... Why? It is based on my experiences before and during my nearly 20 years of membership within my Sorority. If you understood the historical prestige of being a member and the fact that they are part of the "Black Bourgiousie", then you can begin to understand the heirarchial structure that these organizations have placed on the mentality that has been perpetuated over generations... The "Talented 10th" and "Our Kind of People".

There is a structure you are either born, reared or talented to be admitted to these organizations. It is a very old structure, possibly 2-3 generations after enslavement of decendants of Africa and Europe. Those that were in the house, fell under that "Heirarchy", but those out in the fields, were never part of the "Heirarchy".

I am not saying it is an pretty history, because it is a very ugly one. "Paper bag tests" to "passe blanc". And you are asking us to review this history where we are try to move forward and beyond--NOT ignore--but beyond, because most of us have had to view this kind of ugliness for most of lives. Extreme amounts of poverty, friends being gunned down and dying, gang violence and still most of us who are in the D9 are employable and trying to be good citizens.

So, yes, one vote can make a difference in a white girl's life to join a Black sorority, but given the "society", even if it does not make it right, can you see how that looks on our papers, when half our children are labeled as ignorant and will never be admitted to college?

Now, not EVERY SINGLE caucasian girl grew up rich, just as not every single little black girl grew up poor with a single parent. But a large majority of Black girl's have always had one parent and usually their grandmother, who tells them to be about something with their lives. Whereas, I have not seen myself a large majority of caucasian girls ever suffering those circumstances--although I am seeing more of that circumstand and I think those are the ones who might be interested in BGLO's...

I think most girls going to PWI's see the sorority scene and enjoy it or they don't enjoy it. Those that don't enjoy it, usually wait 2 years and then they see other activities and our sororities. Upon further investigation on their part, they learn more--but still, it is further investigation on their part.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. officially states that we cannot formally recruit members. There is a reason for that for which I would be happy to reply to you if you would PM me. But, I cannot state that information here.

How do we obtain our members? Creatively...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
We don't need to prove that point to anyone. We tend not to try to "sell" our orgs to blacks so we don't need to try to "sell" our orgs to nonblacks.
Exactly
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Personally, IMHO, I find these comments still limiting my freedom to vote who I think should be in my Sorority... Why? It is based on my experiences before and during my nearly 20 years of membership within my Sorority. If you understood the historical prestige of being a member and the fact that they are part of the "Black Bourgiousie", then you can begin to understand the heirarchial structure that these organizations have placed on the mentality that has been perpetuated over generations... The "Talented 10th" and "Our Kind of People".

There is a structure you are either born, reared or talented to be admitted to these organizations. It is a very old structure, possibly 2-3 generations after enslavement of decendants of Africa and Europe. Those that were in the house, fell under that "Heirarchy", but those out in the fields, were never part of the "Heirarchy".

I am not saying it is an pretty history, because it is a very ugly one. "Paper bag tests" to "passe blanc". And you are asking us to review this history where we are try to move forward and beyond--NOT ignore--but beyond, because most of us have had to view this kind of ugliness for most of lives. Extreme amounts of poverty, friends being gunned down and dying, gang violence and still most of us who are in the D9 are employable and trying to be good citizens.

So, yes, one vote can make a difference in a white girl's life to join a Black sorority, but given the "society", even if it does not make it right, can you see how that looks on our papers, when half our children are labeled as ignorant and will never be admitted to college?

Now, not EVERY SINGLE caucasian girl grew up rich, just as not every single little black girl grew up poor with a single parent. But a large majority of Black girl's have always had one parent and usually their grandmother, who tells them to be about something with their lives. Whereas, I have not seen myself a large majority of caucasian girls ever suffering those circumstances--although I am seeing more of that circumstand and I think those are the ones who might be interested in BGLO's...

I think most girls going to PWI's see the sorority scene and enjoy it or they don't enjoy it. Those that don't enjoy it, usually wait 2 years and then they see other activities and our sororities. Upon further investigation on their part, they learn more--but still, it is further investigation on their part.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. officially states that we cannot formally recruit members. There is a reason for that for which I would be happy to reply to you if you would PM me. But, I cannot state that information here.

How do we obtain our members? Creatively...
Either it's late and I'm tired or you're all over the place, sistergreek.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Either it's late and I'm tired or you're all over the place, sistergreek.
Awww, too long studying?

Maybe I am all over the place, and it's late for me and I am still at work. I'm not tired, yet.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNYC2 View Post
lol...

i remember a SG Rho tellin me the meanin of their handsign...it stands for 7 in sign language being that they had 7 founders, and also can be made into a Sigma also...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have read all 25 pages of this thread. Funny thing is that noone has touched on the bottom line...

WHEN I CAST MY VOTE FOR A CANDIDATE, IT IS BY SECRET BALLOT AND I DON'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY TO ANYONE WHAT I VOTED OR WHY. Period.

Thank you, and good night!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
well, i usually think the blackface parties and what not are pretty interesting.

*hi five* Wow, that is insanely douchebaggish.

that must count for something, right?

I wouldn't know. I have neither been to a blackface party nor hosted one.

The ones that I have heard of recently, If I remember correctly, were all at northern chapters. Don't really associate with them. Thanks though.