GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,672
1 members and 1,671 guests
LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Wearing YOUR GREEK LETTERS? That is very interesting!!!
This may seem a problem as we as secret organizations, we do not want to let others know that we do exsist.
I at times and many of them , tekk my chapter, LET people know who you are! This is a form of advertising.
If you are not proud to be who you are then don't belong!
I get very tired of the only time I see my letters or Badge is when We have a formal function when Aluns come back.
I do not work for Budweisef, Gap, Old Navy or any other clothing company
If you are not into being in your Greek Org. do not be there. If you are wear your colors proudly! This is also called adverising!
I still talk up My Fraternity, and would like to wear something beside T-Shirts with my colors on them. I would be proud to wear in My Shop and promote My Fraternity.

My suggestion to my young Brothers were to wear polo or golf shirts with the name on it to let others know who YOU are !We are having Alums go down to Freshman Orientation, and I have nothing to wear, and We do not wear our Badges on casual clothing! But if necessary, to promote My Fraternity, I will to show how Proud I am to be a member of My Fraternity!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2001, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I almost hate to bring this up, but I sort of think the shortening of pledge periods and the anti-hazing movement has something to do with the decline of letter-wearing. The older girls at my school told me that there had been a big decline in letter wearing since they were freshmen, and that that was around the same time that our university greek office mandated shorter new member periods, and that national organizations implemented new anti-hazing stuff.

I'm not saying that hazing increases pride or that it is good, not at all. In fact, most groups at my campus didn't haze a bit before the new rules were in place. But now, a lot of groups can't even give tests about the history of the organization, or have any new member activities whatsoever due to the anti-hazing rules. A lot of the "education" has been taken out of the new member education because of it. And for this reason, I think the idea of "earning one's letters" is gone. Because a lot of groups couldn't truly teach about the history of their GLO and the importance of taking pride in it, no one thinks of the letters as a big deal and that's kind of sad.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

kappagirl00,

I think you were right the first time.

Do not ignore the obvious.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

huh?
Old 06-10-2001, 04:16 PM
UMgirl

I just want to say that you can have just as much pride in you're org. if you dont wear letters as someone who does. The pride should be what you get from it, not how you wear it But at Michigan, some wear it, some dont. Depends on what you feel like wearing. Bu its funny b/c this same issue caused like a 3o min debate at one of our chapter meetings. We were doing COB anf thought maybe there should be one day when everyone wore letters. All hell broke loose. Some didnt want to b/c they felt they were being forced, others said they didnt have enough lettered stuff (which is true, some girls only had the one shirt we were given and its kind of hideous), etc.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i am proud to say that i wear my letters quite frequently...even if it is only to the gym. when we are initiated we recieve double stiched letters (i guess these are the so-called block letters) from our big. and let me tell you, that is a big deal here. we also wear sorority jackets. us phisigs are always out to "advertise" as one of y'all put it. basically i am not only proud to be greek but proud to be a phi sigma sigma!
Old 06-11-2001, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Demon Knight Send a message via AIM to Demon Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Demon Knight
Thumbs up

I am a strong believer that if you love your organization then show it. Grant it that there are weather conditions that prevent some line of clothing to be worn on a regular basis but I for one find a way to represent everyday whether its just my lavaliere, or a hat. But Harverd Red and Old gold is what you'll find me in. I love being a Phi Tau.

------------------
The Power of one
The Force of Many
HOO RAH!!
Old 06-11-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

No problem Leslie Anne, I wish I could have helped more!

LatinaAlumna, thanks for explaining the situation at UCLA further !
Old 06-11-2001, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, people might be expressing their love for their GLO without others knowing it. My adopted big gave me a necklace that I wear all the time, but it's just a little heart charm -- nothing to do with KKG in the eyes of others, but to me it represents my love for my sorority.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Talking

Hi!!! I'm guessing block letters are what we call chest letters (because they are big and go across your chest... unless they are hand made and they got placed wrong... then they become stomach letters and you dont wear them lol...)
At Clarion, we wear our letters all the time... I seem to have a LARGE collection... I have bags, babydoll tees, formal shirts, recruitment shirts, words, PJ's exercise shrits (the good ol'e RUSH PHI SIGMA SIGMA ones!) Shorts, Boxers, tanktops, sweatshirts People always ask me if I have underwear that say Phi Sig.... lol (my one sister was actually going to make me a pair as a gag!)

I always wear letters, even if its to Mud Football, or something messy yet fun... it shows that we have fun, and it is advertising!

Oh one of the best things, on our campus we all have jackets... its the big thing... they are like baseball jackets, or HS letter jackets...(but nylon!) and theyre great! Most sororities have white ones, but Zetas have light blue and we have BRIGHT YELLOW! It may not be the most attractive color, but hey... a girl will remember when someone in a yellow coat holds the door for her!

My million cents, sorry its so long!
Ali
Old 06-28-2001, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

you cannot walk around Baylor without being surrounded by greek letters...about 25% of our campus is greek...

plus, sororities wear their jerseys once a week and their rush tshirts once a week (we rush in January so we are advertising all fall semester)

also, when we have a function, every who is invited wears the tshirt the day of the function (or on friday if it is a saturday night deal)...i have never heard of another school doing this but having cotton is a big deal at baylor.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Here at ECU, all Greeks wear their stiched letters, usually Wednesdays are when you can see a big representation of this.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wearing your letters at Southwest Texas state is a must. From stitched letter (block- as ya'll call them), to party and event T's to bags, to embroidered backpacks, to flip flops to anoracs, hats, ummmm, basically if you can wear it we have letters on it. We wear them every where. Fraternities where sorority leters and vice versa. Once I had a poly sci class where over 75% of a 400 student class were wearing our fall's girl scout green GO GREEK shirts. It's crazy how letter wearing is so popular. And in our quad we have a special spot for each GLO, the letters are everywhere.
:cool Also if you have ever wodered what to do with all your old T's, here at SWt we have a tradition that after you graduate you take them all to the local Greek store or semstress and they make a HUGE quilt out of the designs from the T's. It is a great way to remember each event. I can't wait to get mine made and someday show them to my kids!!!
Old 06-29-2001, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I LOVE that quilt idea!!

After all these years all I have left is one sweatshirt. (What on earth did I do with all those t-shirts?)
Old 06-29-2001, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The quilts are also a great Rush show off. When I went thru that is one of my most memorable things, hey it's the little things that you always tend to remember. It's great for me cause I am a total memorabilia freak, currently I am working on putting my 2700 pictures into scrapbooks and I am half way there. So the quilt is something that really doesn't take up too much space and will last forever!
Closed Thread