GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,290
0 members and 2,290 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pulling for Miss C or Princess Bride!!!! Good luck, PiP!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty-in-pink View Post
I am extremely bored at work! It is my last day so I haven't been given any projects because they know I will not finish so I guess I will do a pre-recruitment post to pass the time!

This week has been a complete whirlwind. I move out for recruitment in a few short days and it's like the days just flew! (I swear, I was an itty bitty freshman in high school yesterday and now it's time to move out! ) I've made hair and nail appointments, tried on all my rush outfits, and broken in my shoes. I've researched all the chapters on campus and I now know by heart the national and local founding dates and philanthropies, colors, mascot, and open mottos of each house. I hope that will help me out during recruitment.

Last night I began the thing that I've been putting off and have dreaded from the start: PACKING. I must say, packing is one of the harshest doses of reality that I have experienced yet. I really don't think my brain has grasped the fact that I am moving out and away from my family. Packing honestly shook me up a little. It's one thing to put your things in a suitcase. Suitcases indicate return. Boxes and tubs mean that you're moving on. But back on subject. My dad was upstairs in my room helping me pack and I had my iPod on shuffle and Gracie by Ben Folds came on. By the end of the song we were both crying. Why is growing up so difficult?

GCers, please tell me I'm not just an emotional wreck. Did you ever have those moments where you could not wait another second to move out and then those others where you just wanted to go Neverland and stay a kid forever?

Meh. I'll get off my emotional soapbox now...I think I heard something about a cake and a goodbye party! Adios!
Something similar happened to me. I moved to a new city (by myself) right after graduating high school so I could settle in before attending college (it's a long story I might explain one day).

Anyway, I had a roommate for a time, but she wasn't due to move in for a few days so I had the place all to myself. Everything seemed fine and dandy at first. I had my guy friend (who I was crushing on) over the first two days, then he had work and family obligations.

That night I cried myself to sleep. The next morning, I woke up and cried. That entire day (not even exaggerating) I sat on my bed and cried. Finally later that day I called my mom and she told me she was gonna come stay for a week.

So a few hours later my mom's car rolled up and we packed up and went to a hotel for a while.

Yeah, moving away from the parent(s) is hard at first.. Now I can't ever imagine going back. I like my freedom and time to myself without answering to anyone..

You can do it. Just one tip: Make a playlist on your iPod with songs that don't remind you of home, or your parent's, or your pets, or anything/anyone you are leaving behind. Nothing worse than walking somewhere and all of a sudden sobbing because a certain song came on.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerylle View Post
Yeah, moving away from the parent(s) is hard at first.. Now I can't ever imagine going back. I like my freedom and time to myself without answering to anyone..
co-sign
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

haha the freedoms I am completely looking forward to but I've always been really close to my family so it's def going to be an adjustment
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

my parents helped me move in when i first went off to college. i remember walking with them back down to their car, giving them both a hug and watching them drive away and then sobbing so hard. i didn't know anyone, but soon enough i had become friends with several girls on the hall and rush started and i was too busy to be homesick or sad.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
my parents helped me move in when i first went off to college. i remember walking with them back down to their car, giving them both a hug and watching them drive away and then sobbing so hard. i didn't know anyone, but soon enough i had become friends with several girls on the hall and rush started and i was too busy to be homesick or sad.
I was the opposite. I walked my parents back to the car. Mom was crying, my uncle (who is pretty much my father, since mine was never in the picture) hugged me and was being the man. I smiled at them, waved happily, then trotted off to my room.

24 later is when I started feeling it.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 PM

I was quite the opposite. I love them to death, but I seriously was happy for them to leave.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I remember getting there the first day and Mom insisting on making my bed. I'm sure that was way harder on them than it was on me...all I was thinking was COED DORM COED DORM.

About a week later, they sent me this missing you card that we'd had in one of those all occasion bunches forever (this is when cards were really nice) and never had a reason to send to anyone. I saw that and immediately lost it and started bawling. I'm tearing up now thinking of that, actually.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This sounds exactly like me right now! I just started packing Wednesday! Good luck
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents took me out to dinner and then brought me back to my dorm room. My roommate was still out so I was going to be alone until she came back and we went to a welcome bonfire...my parents hugged me and were both crying a little bit, my dad slipped me some money (silly guy thinks if he slips me a bit of cash everything will be okay) and they left. I didn't cry until I watched them walking to the car from my window, and I was still bawling when my roomie got back...that was 3 years ago though. ;-)