GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,023
1 members and 1,022 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 07-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Rushing a Second Time

Beachgal's story about her second time rushing and some of the responses made me think that we ought to discuss this! I know that several of us rushed twice--I did and I'm so glad! I even knew a girl who rushed three times at Auburn just to get a certain sorority...now that took some fortitude. One of my daughters will be rushing a second time next month.

Does anyone have words of advice for two-time rushers?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Blazecheer? Best of luck to her !

Do you have an idea why she may have been skipped last time? She sounded rather awesome by your description. Granted you are her mom of course lol.

Did she make some friends in chapters over the year? Does that help? And does having a sister that made it in last year help at all?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Of course BlazerCheer is awesome! (Prejudiced mom.)

The only reason we know of concerning last year was what zntke scouted around and found out--that she was quiet during the parties. Her university has that heavy/early cut policy that's supposed to prevent bigger sororities from hanging onto the girls whom they have no idea of bidding...but dang, at least 4 of the 6 sororities were made to cut 60% of their returnees after second parties. We're talking about having to make some fast decisions there!

However, if I were an active, I'd sure give another look to a PNM who is a second-year cheerleader and got MVP cheerleader and a 4.0 last semester! We don't know if her being an in-house legacy will count for anything. She knows about 5 girls in each house now.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Granted, I only rushed once, but I do know a few girls who repeat-rushed. Here is my advice: don't be ashamed by the fact that this is your second rush...be confident. If you are questioned about not joining the first time around, just play up the positives: you had a wonderful experience, the timing was off, you got a chance to develop better friendship during the year, you got your grades up, you did extra curriculars, etc etc. If you did have a terrible experience the first time or you got dropped because your campus is very competive, suck it up and don't let it intimidate you...obviously you are going at it again because you want to be there. Many people will admire that!
Old 07-19-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that one of the Wisconsin rushees from last year (uwchica) ended up rushing twice, after she wasn't happy with her Pref invitations in the fall. In the spring she ended up joining her favorite sorority from fall rush. I hope she posts in this thread because that's a perfect example of how girls who might be overlooked once can come back and have a happy ending in their second rush.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I would think that everything would depend on the spin the two-time pnm puts on things: "I remember you from last year! I'm so glad that I can really devote enough time to sorority this time!" or something similar.

I would imagine that it would be much harder if:
a) she had been completely cut the year before or
b) she had pledged another sorority, depledged, and is trying again.

Best of luck to BlazerCheer!!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:34 PM

I'm so happy that BlazerCheer is going through rush again! Best of luck to her
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rushing for the second time, but at a different university and a *ahem* few years in between. It's nice kind of knowing what to expect this time.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation, sounds like any chapter would be LUCKY to get a girl like your daughter. I know that at my school all the chapters would fighting tooth and nail to have some one like that pledge! And no doubt she'll find her home this year. And as for her being quiet and shy, she really shouldn't be. I mean honestly she would make an incredible XYZ! Good luck to her, and don't forget to post her experience as I know the rest of us are really looking forward to hearing about it!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I'm rushing a 2nd time! not that I really want to but who knows I could make alot of new friends in the process ya know. hopefully it all goes well and i get where I want to be but if not I know its for the best. but Im pretty sure I'll get where I want hehe

Nichole