GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 1,151
2 members and 1,149 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 08-31-2022, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Primary Recruitment X 2

Does anyone know of any campuses that essentially conduct primary recruitment both semesters? (i.e. Set Open House, Various rounds, and coordinated Bid Day in the semester that is supposed to be simply COB)?
Old 09-01-2022, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I only remember the school I attended before transferring doing that. Since it was mostly locals, they didn't have to abide by typical NPC rules.

The only rule was no freshmen could go for fall recruitment, but could join through spring recruitment. Both semesters were full blown recruitment with all rounds involved, rather than having informal for one semester. As far as I know, I don't think other schools do this.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-01-2022, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

I remember when UGa did it maybe 8 years ago because they had so many women admitted in the following spring. All hell broke loose when the fall admits realized that they could have dropped out if they didn't like their returns and waited for spring recruitment.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I remember that one too. I'm thinking there was one up East??? I know in the mid 2000s, FSU and South Carolina did a mini version for just the groups who had open slots for COB. There was an event where all of those groups set up tables/displays in a large room and PNMs could go around and talk with them and sign up for recruitment. Then there was maybe a 2 week period where those women could be invited to events and then a "bid day" at the end. Very informal but with the one set event and a set time period.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-01-2022 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

So, is this permitted per NPC policy? I am involved in a situation where very restrictive rules have been implemented campus wide (i.e. no decorations permitted, silence period from the end of spring semester until after the official extension of bids, no Bid Day shirts permitted, pnms are not eligible to receive a bid if they don't attend at least 2 events, verified through attendance sheets submitted to Panhel and more). Looking at the NPC MOI, it clearly states that College Panhellenics are not to dictate this for COB. I am confused how this is helpful or even permissable. Any insight from anyone that has had experience with this format?
Old 09-01-2022, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
So, is this permitted per NPC policy? I am involved in a situation where very restrictive rules have been implemented campus wide (i.e. no decorations permitted, silence period from the end of spring semester until after the official extension of bids, no Bid Day shirts permitted, pnms are not eligible to receive a bid if they don't attend at least 2 events, verified through attendance sheets submitted to Panhel and more). Looking at the NPC MOI, it clearly states that College Panhellenics are not to dictate this for COB. I am confused how this is helpful or even permissable. Any insight from anyone that has had experience with this format?
Does your national organization have a volunteer(s) who advises on Panhellenic matters? If so, I would suggest asking her, as she would have the most up-to-date information. You may even have someone who works specifically with your region or campus who can answer your questions and help you advocate for your chapter, if needed.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:06 PM

Even back in dinosaur days when my deferred rush campus had 2 structured rushes (ie both had a quota and both had a coordinated bid day) the fall one had less rules than the spring one - ie you didn’t have to go to any theme party you didn’t want to.

I’m confused about the part about silence after spring semester? Does this campus forbid first semester freshmen from rushing?
Old 09-01-2022, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

The Green Book can be accessed online.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I’m confused about the part about silence after spring semester? Does this campus forbid first semester freshmen from rushing?
Yes, this campus forbids first semester freshmen from participating until spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
The Green Book can be accessed online.
Yes, I have reviewed it. It clearly says "The College Panhellenic, therefore, will not place restrictions on the COB process, which may include (but is not limited to) designated COB dates, schedules and bid distribution. The chapters will work with their inter/national organizations to determine the best timing and method for the recruitment of potential new members in a COB process.

I am working through all available channels to resolve this conflict. I just know you ladies are a great resource so wanted to pick your brains here as well in hopes of seeing if anyone had a similar experience or perspective I haven't thought of.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:43 PM

If there are multiple chapters COBing I’m all for a coordinated schedule. The rushees shouldn’t have to choose between which party to attend if XYZ and QRS schedule theirs at the same time. That kind of flies in the face of all the NPC exhortations to give each chapter a fair look.

But silence all summer? Forcing rushees to attend parties? Hell to the no!
Old 09-01-2022, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

33Girl and GreekOne:

If the second recruitment is structured as a primary - all groups participating,etc. - then yes, the same rules can apply.

Since the first of RFM installation, the "maximizing one's options" has been in effect. And not attending a party for which you get an invitation will get you released from recruitment - as well as a reputation for being rude as hell. Get with the program...it's been around for a long time.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:34 PM

Well, I guess the question is whether the campus GreekOne is referring to has all groups participating or if it’s just a “catch-up” sort of thing for (example) 5-6 groups out of 18 to get their numbers up to the same par as the other groups. I was assuming it was the latter.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

All chapters are participating to some extent. There is an Open House, structured rounds and a "Welcome New Member Day" all coordinated by Panhel. The problem is that total is set to align with the largest chapter size, so any chapters close to or at the largest size can't take members. There are restrictions about decorations and mandates on how many parties that pnms must attend. In my opinion, it seems like too much structure and regulation without the benefit to building the overall community. Thanks for you input. It doesn't sound like anyone has any overwhelming positive support for this structure vs. the days of just COB where you extend unrestricted bids to friends of friends, etc.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

I don't understand why the chapters near the new total figure can't
take members. According to NPC rules a chapter is able to pledge up to total anytime during the school year. (that is unless there is a new sorority coming on campus and cob is suspended while they hold their events).
Old 09-03-2022, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This is beyond absurd. Call in the "big guns". Reach out to NPC stat. RIDICULOUS on the part of the college panhellenic/Greek Advisor(s) etc. Come on. No more wasting time!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity