GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,632
0 members and 1,632 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

>>>Rush is to recruitment as cramming for a test is to studying for a test<<<

I think that most sorority women consider rush and recruitment to be the same thing, Russell. The terminology is the only thing that has changed in recent years.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2003, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by aopinthesky
>>>Rush is to recruitment as cramming for a test is to studying for a test<<<

I think that most sorority women consider rush and recruitment to be the same thing, Russell. The terminology is the only thing that has changed in recent years.
True, but they are only so for sororities because of the sorority recruitment is operated.

Also, my original point was in response to a post that was angled at men's fraternities.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Tiers vary at most schools but certain frats and sororities are pretty much strong at schools while others are generally weak. For frats generally Sigma Chi, SAE, and Kap Sig are strong everywhere I've been (East Coast and Midwest). Whereas Lambda Chi, Delta Upsilon, and Sigma Nu are generally weak or bottom tier. (Except DU seems pretty strong at Madison go figure...)

As for sororities DG and KKG are generally strong everywhere along with tri-Delt to an extent.

Edit this back to say N*rd again and I will delete the post - PT

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 12-16-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Just a friendly little reminder to keep things civil and refrain from using disparaging nicknames.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
That's horrible! Those folks were plain rude. Is this the marching band you're talking about? Because if it is, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that the marching bands at some schools have parties that outside people would want to go to. Of course, I'm just basing that on how things were at the time and place I went to college.

Our band parties used to awesome. We always had basketball, cheerleaders, etc come. There was a fraternity that lived on Park St. too, and they came one night and asked if the boys were throwing a party - b/c they didnt' want to throw one on the same night.

But then, the party plan started....and things haven't been the same since. You just can't fit 500 people in the same backyard without getting caught, like you used too. Stupid party plan!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I think most intelligent people generally take the "tiers" with a grain of salt. But it's also easy to say that at most schools they are pretty ingrained in Greek culture and that even those who don't believe they mean much could rattle off which groups are in which tiers in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't really say that there's any concrete way of figuring "tiers" out, although rush figures would be one way for the sororities. But then, I can think of many chapters on this campus who would rank lower or higher than their return rates suggest simply because the way rushees view the groups is a little different from the way the rest of campus does.
I would say at UK most people take "tiers" as a huge factor. When I was COB'ing last year, I had a lot of people tell me "I was to good for that sorority" or "I wasn't skinny enough for that sorority". Which happens at a lot of campus's. But I actually had a girl set me down and say, "this is who you prolly want to go with - these should be your top 3, along with these - forget this(these) group(s) and dont' even think about this group".

So I think this thread is really helpful, especially to girls like me who have had this "tier" explained to them.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry I'm not into this thread. Yes I understand that there are tiers on campus' but now people are beginning to tier groups as a national collective. That is i think, not in the spririt of NPC or this board.

Yes we know that there are orgs that are bigger, richer, better name recognition etc than the others but to tier a group is to also diminsh other groups. People here are fiercly proud of their letters and when groups start getting rated claws come out. We should stay away from it. (I mean stay away from giving names of nat'l orgs that are strong) Every org has both strong and weak points.

Yes there are tiers in colleges/Universities, and perhaps even transcending to a national level, but I really don't like changing this thread so we discuss the groups as a nat'l whole.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Its just musing nothing wrong with it, however no one can deny that 99% of the time certain GLOs will be strong at most campuses and 99% of the time certain GLOs will be weak/bottom tier at most campuses.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godfather
Its just musing nothing wrong with it, however no one can deny that 99% of the time certain GLOs will be strong at most campuses and 99% of the time certain GLOs will be weak/bottom tier at most campuses.
That's nowhere near true.

ETA: Please name me one GLO that is top tier at 99% of it's universities.
Please name me one that is in the bottom tier at 99% of it's universities.

Last edited by kddani; 12-16-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to the two gals who posted above me.

Even in "historically southern" GLO's, where they seem to be successful at every campus below the Mason Dixon line, or a particular region in the south at least, there are random campuses where that GLO has simply not clicked.

Every chapter, in addition, has its ebb and flow. A top tier group may end up at the bottom, or may struggle to stay in the middle, or may have the numbers and appearance of a top tier sorority but lack the sisterhood and enthusiasm to stay strong. "Top tier" is a very relative, cyclical, and geographic term. To say one GLO is "top tier" everywhere is ridiculous. I adore my sorority, but I know we have strengths and weaknesses in EVERY chapter, and we have stronger and weaker regions across the country. That doesn't mean that I am any less proud to call any ZTA my sister, though, no matter where she was initiated.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

ETA: Please name me one GLO that is top tier at 99% of it's universities.
Please name me one that is in the bottom tier at 99% of it's universities.
Bottom tier on the east coast 99% of the time? Sigma Nu, Delta Upsilo, TDC, and Lambda Chi

Top tier: Kap Sig, Sig Chi, and SAE you may not like them always, call them a$$holes, etc. but they are strong, with large chapters and respect from other strong frats and sororities.

Last edited by Godfather; 12-16-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Unless you've got the stats on every single chapter at every single university, this statement is not factual. There are groups that do better on smaller campuses and groups that do well regardless of campus size, but I know that every group is not strong on every campus they colonize.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Again if you read my original post a few back, it said in my experience in the Midwest and East coast. I have visited and spoken with my friends from high school most of whom joined frats and between Lambda Chi, Sigma Nu, and Delta Upsilon I have only heard of one good chapter at that is DU at Madison-Wisconsin. And same is conversely so for Sig Chi, SAE, and Kap Sig and to a lesser extent for Deke and KA.

Final warning - refrain from using disparaging nicknames - PT

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 12-16-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bottom tier on the east coast 99% of the time? Sigma Nu, Delta Upsilo, TDC, and Lambda Chi

Top tier: Kap Sig, Sig Chi, and SAE you may not like them always, call them a$$holes, etc. but they are strong, with large chapters and respect from other strong frats and sororities.
Do you realize that 99% means that only 1 chapter in 100 can't be in the top tier for your statement to be true?

For instance, Kappa Sig is NOT strong at my school. They are bottom to mid tier. Right up the street from me at Carnegie Mellon University Kappa Sig isn't top tier. That's 2 schools within just a few blocks of each other with non-top tier chapters of KS.

SAE on my campus is strong, up the block at CMU they're not so strong.

Your own fraternity, Sigma Chi, may have been a top tier at one time at my school, but isn't any more. They've gotten themselves in a lot of trouble lately.

Your statements are grossly overstated and no where near true.

Put your money where your mouth is- offer up some proof here.

*Disclaimer- this post is not a rip on any group. There are strong, mid-strength, and weak chapters of every GLO. I'm just trying to disprove this theory which has no validity to it.*