GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,276
3 members and 1,273 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 12-15-1999, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in total agreement with Pink Bunny. Vtqt79, you should not have felt ashamed for the decision you chose. If that's what was right for you, that was right for you. But I can see how som might have thought, "why is she joining that white sorority". Not to worry, because you can't please everyone. However, I am concerned like Pink bunny, why were the women who pledged you concerned about pledging you. Now, you took that in stride and I commend you for going for what you wanted. But I have to wonder, was the reason they were concerned was because you were Black, or because they were unsure of what you would bring to the sorority. Or, was it pressure from others about the possibility of pledging you. You were strong, because you wanted to be a member of that sorority. However, I know that some would decide not to pledge that sorority becuase of the doubt of wanting you because you are Black. But I don't know the circumstnaces so I will not jump to conclusions. Again, I do not understand how some of the GLO do not have graduate chapters. Again, I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha and we have graduate chapters everywhere, literally. And, I knew when I wanted to become an AKA that it was a lifelong committment that would never end. Do any of the GLOs have graduate chapters? Ok, so now I think I have said all I can say with regard to this topic and I do not need to continue to ramble on and on
Old 12-15-1999, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

oh, ok Silver turtle, I understand you now. Just a slight misunderstanding
Old 12-15-1999, 01:58 PM
Artimis

RE: Graduate Chapters; Understanding commitment.

Pink Bunny, for sisterhoods that do not have graduate chapters, many have alumnae chapters that are designed to continue the support and values of the active chapter. I do not know enough about graduate chapters nor NPC alumnae chapters to compare/contrast them.

Activity beyond graduation varies based an active (college chapter) sisters's exposure to the alumnae of her chapter. In chapters with envolved alumnae - new and old, the understanding of a life long commitment is strong. If alumnae are inactive, sisters can easily get the impression of "a college-only sisterhood". As many of the greek organizations are attempting to eliminate the "animal party" sterotypes and re-vamping thier new membership programs, I hope emphasis on importance of committment to their sisterhood/brotherhood remains strong - or in case stengthened.

Although my experience and understanding of my role as alumnae may differ because I am also a local founder of a small National sisterhood, I hope that our alumnae's activites provides a strong influence over our active chapter. I'm an alumnae of 3 years and at quiet a distance from my chapter, yet I continue to assist at a local active level, alumnae level and national level: holding offices, assisting with expansion, attending conventions, maintaing websites, voicing opinions and ideas.

Sisters and Brothers miss out when they remain only a name on a roster from years gone by.

Artimis
Old 12-15-1999, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

At my college, we have, both traditionally black sororities and we also have other sororities with a mix of cultures and backgrounds. The traditionally black sororites were not a part of panhel because they were city wide affiliates and not just with our school. However, this year, they were invited to join and be a part of the ongoing processes. So far, it has worked out wonderfully. During Greek Week, they gave a Step Show (I can't remember exactly what it's called, so pardon me if I get it a little wrong). But the point is, yes there is tradition, but I found it great that the campus is uniting and educating each other about their various traditions and culture. That is why were are at college in the first place.
Old 12-15-1999, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Pink Bunny,

To answer your first question, I joined my sorority because it was the most diverse out of all the sororities on my campus. I had several friends I had known since the beginning of college who were also in that sorority and I knew if my good friends could stand behind the sorority, I should at least see what they had to offer. My sorority also had what I was looking for in terms of our system of belief, ideals and charitable work.

You also asked why I didn't rush Sigma or Delta. I don't know if you saw one of my posts on one of the other pages, but there weren't ANY BGLOs chartered on our campus. Not one. I knew there were three girls at my school who affiliated with the Deltas at a nearby campus but I never saw them around and they never posted anything on campus, in the campus paper or in the OBSS that said their rush process was beginning. There weren't any Sigmas at all... I hadn't even heard of them. AKAs really represented out of all the BGLOs even though they weren't chartered on our campus. I recieved an invite to rush them but I knew some of their sisters and I didn't like them (maybe it was because I lived with them and you get a whole different perspective of people after you live with them for a year). Which was really unfortunate because I know that AKA is a very strong organization and has a proud history. I would have loved to be a part of that but some of the individuals within the chapter would have made it a difficult for me to really enjoy the experience.

Lastly, I am an alumnae (just this past May) and as soon as I moved home, the local alumnae chapter of my sorority got in contact with me and provided me with a roster, schedule of events and meetings. It was nice to hear from them because a lot of my friends have moved away from home. So, to answer your question, my sorority is actually very active post graduation. We don't have graduate chapters but almumnae chapters all over this country and internationally that are still really invovled.

I hope I answered all your questions, please feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind.

------------------
"We ask ourselves, who am I to be talented, gorgeous, intelligent and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"
-Marriane Wilson
Old 12-15-1999, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

As a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated in Alabama, I really felt compelled to respond to the post by 'Alabama.' It saddens me that that young lady chose to affiliate my state with such an insensitive post. You seem very bitter. I don't know what your experience has been, but, get over it. Of course slavery is over, but that does not mean that we have made enough progress to put the racial issue to bed. We can discuss racial profiling by the police or discrimination in the workplace. We don't need to keep rehashing slavery. But, beleive me issues still exist.
What should it concern you that a black woman would be proud of who she is? No one is saying that you shouldn't be proud of who you are either. Notice she did not assert herself as superior to anyone as most people who proclaim "white pride". What they really mean is white supremacy. And finally, if a man disrespected you then charge it that to that individual not his ethnicity. I have encountered a number of drunk and rude white guys at football games and bars, but I knwo that that has more to do with his alcohol level that the color of his skin. Again, I think that you have some personal issues that you need to work through. Do that before posting in a public forum.
The DSTBrat
oo-ooop
Old 12-15-1999, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to vtqt79
Arrow

FOr those of you out there that had any questions about what I had to say this is my reply to you.

First off once again I don't want anyone to come to assume that I am belittling anyone else but this is what I have to say.

1) On the issue on pledging a sorority that might have had some issues on me for being black, just to let anyone know I was interviewed and rushed by a chapter from a diferent part of my state and from our National headquarters because like I said I and my 55 other pledge sisters were Charter sisters. I didn't meet any of them until Bid-Day (for you that don't understand what that is it is the day you recieve the invitation from the sorority that you chose and mutually chose you, then you meet and have a fun filled day of whatever). So I didn't exactly know what I was going into other than I knew the chances of me being the only Afrian-American woman were very high. But I didn't care. Which leads me to point #2...

2) I was ashamed for a few reasons, my mom from the time I came to college pushed the idea of me pledging Delta and my sister also. They themeslef never were greek so I think it was kind of important to them to see me do this. So in one way I was ashamed of what my mother and sister would have to say about it. And also I was ashamed for the looks that I got on campus from blacks that I know, and as much as anyone might want to say they don't care what others do, EVERYONE deep inside has their own opinion and they might never say it out loud but they can think it all they want. I felt like I had let not just my family but those blacks that I knew on campus down also.
I now know that I have NOTHING to be ashamed of, I wear my letters that I worked HARD for around campus, sometimes people even joke on me because I have so many sets of letters. As for those that might have had a problem sharing a LOVELY sorority with someone of a different race either got over it or might still hve the problem but I just choose to not associate myself with them. There are 80+ girls in my sorority and I can say that of those 80 there are about 70 that I love whole heartly and care for like they were a real sister. And I could careless what they might have to say about me, to my face or behind my back. I have now over come my fear of what others have to say about me and have walked with my head held high for quiet sometime now. I am proud of myself and those that I support, whether it is a GLO or an BGLO. And with that I will move on to my thrid thing...

3) As for graduate chapters I don't believe that AXO has any, but I am positive that they have alumnae chapters everywhere, not just the US but over seas also. That is the one thing that I am most excited about when I graduate. There are more oppurtunities out there for me to act on behalf of my sorority. It's about the fun you have in college but more about the fun and life-long oppurtunities you have after also.

If there is anything anyone else might want to take about feel free to respone to my post.
Old 12-15-1999, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Artimis thanks for your response.
Old 12-15-1999, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

A Phinatic thank you for your response I appreciate it. Take Care.
Old 12-15-1999, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you vtgt79, i appreciate your realness when answering my questions. peer pressure and family pressure is no joke. i feel you. but you did what you believed was right for you and that's what matters. keep on keeping it real.
Old 12-16-1999, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Vtgt79 hello, i think it is fine that you
joined the group that you felt most comfortable with. That is why we have a
variety of different greek organizations.
I think in the future we will see more
diversity in the greek system. I pledged
my sorority for several reasons one very important being that we have graduate chapters and work in our communities as a strong force. We believe that when you graduate that shouldn't be the end of your sisterhood or community service. We are a life long family across the country and over seas. I have yet to meet women from traditionally white sororities that share that same committment, it appears that sorority life stops after you graduate. Some
even laugh about the fact that they don't know or remember anything about or keep in touch with their sorority sisters. For me
Alpha Kappa Alpha is a SERIOUS matter and i
can't imagine after all the work i did to be
come a part of this wonderful organization to
just say "had fun" "see ya" after i graduate. I will work HARD and LOVE AKA until the day
i die.
Old 12-16-1999, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Vtgt79 why were you ashamed of joining your sorority? I have never been ashamed of my decision to join AKA who cares what anyone thinks. And why were your pledge sisters uncomfortable with you pledging. If race really doesn't matter then why would they
have a problem with you being the first, second, or last to join their sorority. My line sisters always had my back.
Old 12-16-1999, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Lil'Bit,
I read your response to me on the AKA board. I think it's great that there are folks of all races trying to improve race relations. For the most part I agreed with what you said. I didn't post there again because, well, I'm not an AKA ...and I didn't want my presence to inhibit, distract, influence, etc. anyone's posts there.

REGARDING GRADUATE CHAPTERS
My fraternity, Phi Beta, has alumni chapters. Our alumni are as dedicated to community service as the rest of the fraternity. Without the work of our alumni & alumni chapters, I doubt the fraternity would be as strong as it is. I guess you would say we are traditionally white, but our chapters are pretty diverse these days.

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity for the Creative and Performing Arts.
http://homepages.go.com/~phibetaphichapter/index.html
Old 12-16-1999, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Silver Turtle,
I guess I just sort of totally forgot about alumni chapters. I guess those are the same as our graduate chapters.. So... continue with the good work
Old 12-16-1999, 09:34 PM

Red face

To quickly revisit the "proud to be a black or white sorority"...everyone should be proud of their organizations no matter the ethnicity. The founders of all these organizations saw a need for what they did.

The "traditional NPC" sororities were founded by women who saw that women were not being treated as equals and not allowed to join the mens fraternities. The founders of the black organizations saw the same problems facing themselves.

These founders stood up for themselves and for thier "fellow kind" (I mean women, black women, black men, Jews, Asians, Latinos, etc.) and established groups to fit their needs.

These organizations are now open to all ethnicities and anyone belonging to them should be proud to be affiliated with an organiztion that stands for taking an initiative against injustices that they see.