GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,187
1 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OK, should have qualified and added "when we get them." But I would think it would be understood that if you don't get it from PH, then you have to accept whatever you have.
I think Mary Poppins was trying to be helpful, but I thought we were just talking Alabama anyway and Bama provides the GPA, right?

Anyone know if any of the schools that Greekchat has declared "highly competitive" or "places where you have to have recs" have PHs that fail to provide a verified GPA?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM

GPA is almost meaningless to me anyway. I would say at least 75% of the PNMs I wrote recs for provided some ridiculous "weighted" GPA. So they would tell me their GPA was a 4.35 yet their ACT score was a 21.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Now that ^^^ is so true!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
GPA is almost meaningless to me anyway. I would say at least 75% of the PNMs I wrote recs for provided some ridiculous "weighted" GPA. So they would tell me their GPA was a 4.35 yet their ACT score was a 21.
I usually just go off what their transcript says...do you not have to ask for those?

And as someone who was a HORRIBLE standardized test taker, I practically could have have been the 4.35 with a 21 ACT. It happens.

But I totally get what you're saying about weighted GPA's!

ETA: This is how I see standardize test questions!
http://www.someecards.com/usercards/...IyNjQ5ZDMzMmI1

Last edited by shirley1929; 08-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM

Yes I do look at transcripts, but they don't typically help. So many girls take concurrent classes at a junior College, and half of their classes are things like photography and social media. So I just use their unweighted GPA, but test scores are what speaks to me. I know some people don't test well, but the GPA thing is so ridiculous I don't factor it.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Yes I do look at transcripts, but they don't typically help. So many girls take concurrent classes at a junior College, and half of their classes are things like photography and social media. So I just use their unweighted GPA, but test scores are what speaks to me. I know some people don't test well, but the GPA thing is so ridiculous I don't factor it.
RE: The bold - Do you figure that yourself? Just curious, I've never seen anything like that on a transcript. But 99% of my recs come from only about 2 or 3 high schools.

Which begs the question, do college panhellenics use the weighted or unweighted version? Just curious. I know "gaming" the GPA system is an art form these days (for both college admission and for rush) so it just makes me wonder if everyone is on a level playing field in that respect.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM

The transcripts I have gotten provide weighted and unweighted. I would never calculate something myself and provide that as some kind of official statistic.

I guess my gripe is that it seems like at some of the area high schools, you get at least a B just for showing up, because the writing skills and test scores don't tend to back up the inflated GPAs.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Fascinating! There's just one GPA on ours (unless there's some fine print somewhere that my old eyes don't notice) and that's what I go with.

I totally know what you're saying about the writing skills/test scores...we see some of those as posters on GC!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

The Greek Office usually gives you the unweighted core GPA for the subjects the university accepts towards their admissions requirements. That's one the that makes the most sense and is more indicative of how they will do in college. If your PH doesn't give you thar information, I would use the unweighted GPA because it doesn't have the "fluff" in it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, just have to brag....I was in Tuscaloosa last night - was asked to speak to the DGs on their first day of work week. The house is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Huge and beautiful. You would not believe how big the girls' rooms are. Oh my! Not the house I lived in there, that's for sure!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

On my dd's transcripts it shows weighted, unweighted and core. I find the whole GPA compared to the standardized test fascinating too. I will tell you I almost feel off my chair when a University said to me that the average Freshman GPA last year was a 3.8 and the average SAT score was 1200!! What?!

As for my daughter she is also an awful test taker. She has test anxiety. She is a really hard worker and takes her school responsibilities very seriously. I would be surprised if she was not successful in college. For her, I would look at the unweighted GPA with is still very good.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OK, just have to brag....I was in Tuscaloosa last night - was asked to speak to the DGs on their first day of work week. The house is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Huge and beautiful. You would not believe how big the girls' rooms are. Oh my! Not the house I lived in there, that's for sure!
Photos???? We would love to see some photos.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Not yet - the HC president would tar and feather me! They want to wait to "unveil" it to the whole campus at one time.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Of course-that is understandable-but after that, maybe?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Random but I think we talked a little bit about predetermined cuts in this thread. Geared toward parents, but good read:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=121568

and this post in another:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...40&postcount=6

Lakers Nation.