GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,388
1 members and 2,387 guests
zatylerahvso465

Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Telling new interests about your "open relationship"?

So this girl I've been talking to since April and dating extensively for the last 7 weeks (travel schedules and medical school tests intervened for 6 weeks in May and June) and I have mutually reached a decision that we're definitely together, but not exclusive. As facebook would define it, it's an open relationship.

Without getting into the gritty details, both of our recent dating histories (all within the timeframe that we've known each other) have made being exclusive to each other a good thing to delay. For the record, the non-exclusiveness was much more her idea than mine...

My question is this though...if I see a girl in a bar that I hit it off with, how/what do I tell this new girl? I'm usually pretty honest, especially if asked direct questions (got me in trouble earlier this summer). Should I deny? Be very upfront about what my situation is? Use the ole' Mitch Hedburg "I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl who would be really mad if she heard me say that" line?

Obviously any new chick I'm probably going to be more focused on hooking up with rather than dating, but if not? Then what?

Any ideas, prior experience, and thoughts would be great...My feeling is why agree to be non-exclusive if I just end up in de facto exclusivity and there's the possibility of her hooking up with her personal trainer for a second time?

- Abraham Lincoln
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
I'm probably not the best person to be giving this advice out, but it's still my opinion and I still want to share it. In your situation, I would think if the only interest you have in a girl is hooking up then there is no need to even bring up the fact that you have a quasi-girlfriend. And, if you were interested in more than just a hook-up with someone, I wouldn't imagine your open relationship would stay THAT open...or would it?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Yes. What she said.

Open relationship = Dating. Do what the hell you want and you don't owe an explanation to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
I'm probably not the best person to be giving this advice out, but it's still my opinion and I still want to share it. In your situation, I would think if the only interest you have in a girl is hooking up then there is no need to even bring up the fact that you have a quasi-girlfriend. And, if you were interested in more than just a hook-up with someone, I wouldn't imagine your open relationship would stay THAT open...or would it?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:39 AM

If a friend or family member asked if she was your girlfried, how would you respond? Would you call her your girlfriend in front of her? If not, then don't tell a random girl at the bar that you have a girlfriend.

If a random girl asks if your "seeing someone" I can see there being more gray area but you could honestly say that you're not in any serious or committed relationship then just move the conversation forward.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
If a friend or family member asked if she was your girlfried, how would you respond? Would you call her your girlfriend in front of her? If not, then don't tell a random girl at the bar that you have a girlfriend.

If a random girl asks if your "seeing someone" I can see there being more gray area but you could honestly say that you're not in any serious or committed relationship then just move the conversation forward.
the lady that you are not quite exclusive with....ask her what she tells the guys she meets........ **wink**
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Do what the hell you want and you don't owe an explanation to anyone.
My new life motto.