GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 769
2 members and 767 guests
LarryByday

Old 09-07-2004, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Question Informal Recruitment

As an alumna initiate, I never had the benefit of experiencing recruitment as a collegian. A good friend of mine is going through Informal Recruitment at UNC-Pembroke (starts tonight!) and she asked me lots of questions about how the process works. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer them.

During informal recruitment, how do the members let you know that they'd like you to come back to other parties? And how is pref handled?

Thanks, and send tons of good luck vibes to my buddy!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:17 AM

I came into my chapter through informal recruitment. Usually, informal consists of several get togethers or outings with the sisters so they can get to know you better.

These are the events I went to while going through informal, to give you a better idea:

* Cookie baking @ the house for the other Songfest participants.

*Lunch in the student center with 3 of the actives.

*A KSU basketball game with 3 more actives.

*Board Games Night @ the house.

The chapter isn't going to outright act like they LOOVE you. It's just like meeting anyone for the first time. They are trying to feel you out.

As far as pref goes, some groups may choose to do their pref, while others might not.

My advice to your buddy: Act naturally, relax, don't be nervous, and have fun doing the activity they have planned for you. Ask questions. TRY not to get caught up in whether or not they "like you"- even though it can be hard

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 AM

Good luck to your friend!

Informal recruitment can be done a few different ways, depending on the school, the chapters, and how many bids each chapter has to offer. If a chapter only has a couple of spots to fill, they may just invite a handful of women to some events and choose from among them. If a chapter has more bids to offer, they may advertise as well.

Informal recruitment events are usually more laid-back. You don't have the same strict scheduling as during FR - if an event runs from 7-9 and you show up at 7:30, that's ok. If a sorority has 3 events and you can only get to 2, that's ok too. We've done mocktails, cookie baking, picnics... unlike FR, the sororities aren't restricted to their houses or rush rooms.

Pref may or may not take place. I think that if it does, it's usually invite only. My chapter did not do pref during informal rush.

As with formal recruitment, your friend should look neatly put together, though she probably doesn't need the latest from Lilly. And she should try to relax, be herself, and have fun!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses! If you didn't do pref, how were bids handled?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Thanks for the responses! If you didn't do pref, how were bids handled?
If we were offering a bid to someone, a few of us would go to her dorm room. She could accept on the spot, or defer and think about it for a while (we once had someone take the whole summer to decide!).
Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 AM

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a pref to hand out bids. There is no bid list during informal recruitment. After all the events, chapters usually bid the women they have decided would make good additions.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
My school has a very strange structured Informal Recruitment - there are no invite rounds. On Sunday, all informal PNMs go through open houses at all three houses. Then on Wednesday, all informal PNMs go to progressive dinners at all three houses. Girls are called up to Central Hall at 4pm on Friday to sign bids and then we have pick-up parties - for both IR and COB, we don't just hand out bids, we have to do it through Central Hall. Like I said, there are no invite rounds and we don't do pref for informal. Also, it is not that laid back - PNMs must go to each house with their group in the set order.

We show interest in particular girls through coke dates and other COB-type events. For example: tonight we have an ice cream social at the house, to which we invite girls who we are interested in for informal/COB. Next Wednesday, we have a BBQ for the same purpose. Then, during IR week, we'll have other similar events.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh....okay. They're a commuter campus (for the most part) so I don't know for sure how they'll deliver bids, but all the same I really hope my friend gets one. She's wanted this for so long!

I told her that I'm expecting a full report tonight so if I hear anything, I'll post.