GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,187
3 members and 1,184 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Ideas for alternative to skit during sisterhood round-- plz help

SOS! My school decided that we needed a more 'values-based' recruitment and therefore got rid of the best part of recruitment (for me), the skits and the dance routine! Now, our committee has to brainstorm how to take up that amount of time in a way that will give the PNMs a break from talking and will showcase what our sisterhood is all about.

Here's a little bit about our formal recruitment process:

We don't have houses at my school so each sorority gets a ballroom somewhere on campus for the week of recruitment. This means that our whole set up consists of us bringing tons of chairs and tables and all the decorations.

There are 4 rounds - Open House (25 minutes) see 12 sororities, Philanthropy Round (40 minutes) see 9 sororities, Sisterhood Round (45 minutes) see 6 sororities and also discuss financial and housing obligations, Preference Round (50 minutes) see 3 sororities, BID DAY!!

During every single round the PNMs all talked to at least one girl but there is usually something to give everyone a break like a speech or a video. Normally it would be a skit for the third round but we can no longer do that unfortunately. We are still doing a sisterhood video and a slideshow we just need something else.

Some ideas we've thought of already has been having a girl sing, having an interactive game or something where the girls got to learn about our sorority (maybe like a sorority bingo), and having different stations set up around the room explaining different parts of our sisterhood.

If you have any ideas please do share we are becoming a bit desperate Thank you so so so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-18-2016, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, we had another recent thread which discussed this same topic. Find some opinions and ideas here:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=214422

@~/~~~~
Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the stations idea and the interactive game idea. Both give you a chance to interact, but the conversations have a focus, so it's less taxing on everyone to come up with things to talk about.

When I went through recruitment, we played a card game at one of the chapters during the third round. It was really fun, and to tell you the truth, it's one of the few specific rush memories that still sticks in my mind years later! We were at card tables of 4, with 2 sisters and 2 PNMs.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 02-18-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Sorority bingo sounds great.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Bingo where the card is set up with values or words akin to your organization. You could also do pictionary or charades based on something similar (mascots, symbols, flowers, colors, etc.)
Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

What's wrong with talking? Each rushee should be meeting 3-4 members per party IMO unless there is a clear reason not to. Do other stuff if you want, but values based isn't intended to replace skits with other mindless filler.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
What's wrong with talking? Each rushee should be meeting 3-4 members per party IMO unless there is a clear reason not to. Do other stuff if you want, but values based isn't intended to replace skits with other mindless filler.
OP, I'm 99% sure you go to Clemson based on your description of recruitment, and although I won't be on campus next year I can't imagine groups doing anything other than talking more. I know that I as a PNM would have been off-put if we played bingo or something else I didn't see as a good way to get to know someone.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This. This is the whole reason for getting rid of skits. Spend time getting to know these PNMs on a deeper level and give them a chance to get to know your members. That's the purpose of recruitment. To get to know each other and choose the best (mutual) fit.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Consider a values night where your chapter addresses its core values and centers the conversation around your values. If scholarship is one of your organization's core values, have a display of any scholarship awards, photos of sisters on their study abroad or student teaching assignments, etc. Then when you're showing off that area, you can steer the conversation to scholarship, professional groups, careers, study groups, networking, etc.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Because after you've done nothing but talking at party after party, round after round, you need a damn brain break.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Because after you've done nothing but talking at party after party, round after round, you need a damn brain break.
Nope, I don't see that as a valid excuse. Get better at conversation and it won't be draining. If you want to mix it up, do some organized questions and answers. Fun stuff. Let them draw from a stack of cards to answer questions. Who was your favorite teacher? What would your super power be? Would you rather eat only your favorite food for the rest of your life or never eat it again? If you could be famous for an artistic talent what would it be? Star Wars or Star Trek? And the point of this is not to get these answers, it's to start and build on conversations. Frankly both sides can answer questions. And this isn't a terrible way to do small group conversations if your numbers are a bit off.