GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,341
2 members and 1,339 guests
acg233, naraht

Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I think those cakes are AMAZING! What a cute idea for a campus activity.

The badge cake would be great for an initiation celebration/dinner.

Random Kappa stuff:
I was at my home chapter this past weekend initiating my daughter. My other daughter was there (she is a chapter officer) and so was my mother. All three of us pinned her and I also pinned my mother-in-law's badge on her! She was quite the initiate sporting four family keys!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post

Random Kappa stuff:
I was at my home chapter this past weekend initiating my daughter. My other daughter was there (she is a chapter officer) and so was my mother. All three of us pinned her and I also pinned my mother-in-law's badge on her! She was quite the initiate sporting four family keys!
If you can't answer this because of ritual I understand. So for initiation you can be pinned with the badges of any related sisters you have?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Random Kappa stuff:
That seems so early! My undergrad chapter is on quarters, so they won't have initiation for a while still. Congrats, though! That's so exciting!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Tonight I have a Night Owls dinner- a total of 6 attendees including 2 I've never met. I'm hoping to add two new Night Owls to the roster!

Oh, and one of the Director of Alumnae's daughters just pledged Kappa at U of Oregon! She has at least one other Kappa daughter.

To make three items, my husband went to Chicago this week for a business trip. I made him bring me back Vosges chocolate. The owner of Vosges is a Kappa, she was in The Key a few years ago. We actually ordered truffles from Vosges once for recruitment and it was such a great conversation starter. Not only are the flavors unique (one of my favorites is the chocolate + curry, and I also love the ones with sea salt) but we got them through Kappa connections! Is anyone else addicted to these things? I can't eat regular chocolate the same way anymore. Luckily Whole Foods carries a variety of their bars

And yes, I have had a very Greek week indeed!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
That seems so early! My undergrad chapter is on quarters, so they won't have initiation for a while still. Congrats, though! That's so exciting!
Yes, it seems early to me as well. All of the chapters on this campus initiate in about 8 weeks (except for XO). NPC seems to be pushing for this across the country. It is supposed to cut down on hazing, but, imo, it just means these girls know even less about the fraternity than usual. This chapter petitioned to move initiation to 10 weeks and was denied. I really think the "forest is getting lost for the trees" when it comes to new member programming....but that is a post for another, yet to be started, thread!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
If you can't answer this because of ritual I understand. So for initiation you can be pinned with the badges of any related sisters you have?

I feel pretty sure I am not violating anything by answering this...but yes, if you have a family member who is/was a kappa, you can be pinned with that badge. New members don't get their own badges for several weeks, so they often wear their Key Sis's badge or a family members until their own arrives. It is pretty special to have a family member participate in initiation.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, it seems early to me as well. All of the chapters on this campus initiate in about 8 weeks (except for XO). NPC seems to be pushing for this across the country. It is supposed to cut down on hazing, but, imo, it just means these girls know even less about the fraternity than usual. This chapter petitioned to move initiation to 10 weeks and was denied. I really think the "forest is getting lost for the trees" when it comes to new member programming....but that is a post for another, yet to be started, thread!
That's just silly. There are a certain number of NM programs every chapter HAS to do. I guess you can combine some of them. I can't think of them all (and yes, I could look them up on the website) but it takes time! We were always super squished for time being on quarters. Recruitment then formal pledging the next meeting, then alllll of the NM programs, I-week, then initiation!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Word to the Wise....

Hi Ladies!

I’m glad to see activity within this thread. I hope this finds yall well. I am new to Greek Chat and I would love some pointers on how to use the system. On another note, if you have not yet purchased A Southern Belle Primer: Why Paris Hilton Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma, you must! It’s a quick read and has plenty of etiquette pointers for those of us who need a quick brush up. On that note, as a southern girl and Kappa I have grown up learning the importance of appearance. Remember the way we look is always the first impression made. I feel obliged to caution those who post pictures up on this forum to use discretion. I think it’s best if we always use pictures that are flattering to both the individual’s and sisterhoods image. Please keep this in mind when choosing future pictures of yourself! Thank you.

Love &Loyalty
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love&Loyalty View Post
Hi Ladies!

I’m glad to see activity within this thread. I hope this finds yall well. I am new to Greek Chat and I would love some pointers on how to use the system. On another note, if you have not yet purchased A Southern Belle Primer: Why Paris Hilton Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma, you must! It’s a quick read and has plenty of etiquette pointers for those of us who need a quick brush up. On that note, as a southern girl and Kappa I have grown up learning the importance of appearance. Remember the way we look is always the first impression made. I feel obliged to caution those who post pictures up on this forum to use discretion. I think it’s best if we always use pictures that are flattering to both the individual’s and sisterhoods image. Please keep this in mind when choosing future pictures of yourself! Thank you.

Love &Loyalty
Hello, and welcome!

Greek Chat can be a lot of fun, and there are some great/silly people on here. Make sure you do your research and check the date of a thread before posting on it. Many people will be quick to jump all over you if you make a mistake or say something that could be deemed offensive.

You can find A Welcome & Some Words of Guidance here from imsohappythatiama, our moderator.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
That's just silly. There are a certain number of NM programs every chapter HAS to do. I guess you can combine some of them. I can't think of them all (and yes, I could look them up on the website) but it takes time! We were always super squished for time being on quarters. Recruitment then formal pledging the next meeting, then alllll of the NM programs, I-week, then initiation!
We were on trimesters, which is pretty much like quarters without the summer option. We were always very squished too, since we only had 10 weeks per term plus 1 week of finals. "10th Week" was like a dirty word at my school, essentially meaning that all the papers and projects are due, lots of presentations, and of course cramming for finals. It's pretty much the most dreaded week on campus (even moreso than finals week)... yet we often had to have initiation the weekend before 10th week because recruitment was during week 2 (to get the 8 week new member period). Sometimes we were able to move it up a bit and headquarters was pretty understanding when the program was first released, but it definitely caused added stress. 6 weeks would've fit in much better with our academic calendar. Women weren't able to relax and enjoy it as much as we would've liked- and it should be an incredible time for all involved

Then again, at least we had the 8 weeks to be sure it was the right choice. We did have one person while I was there depledge the week before initiation... it would've been sad for everyone involved if she had made that decision the week or two after initiation instead. If we were on semesters I'm sure 8 weeks wouldn't have felt as crunched, or even 10 weeks could've been nice. It's a challenge when all schools operate so differently.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

[QUOTE=thetygerlily;1860175]

Oh, and one of the Director of Alumnae's daughters just pledged Kappa at U of Oregon! She has at least one other Kappa daughter.

[QUOTE]

She has two daughters, and the older one is also a Kappa. As is her sister, and her niece. It's a very blue and blue family!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKappa View Post
She has two daughters, and the older one is also a Kappa. As is her sister, and her niece. It's a very blue and blue family!
The very best kind.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

They are, aren't they? The sister who baked them got a big recognition at chapter meeting, along with a gift for all her hard work. She's an amazing baker!

We're trying to convince her to do the badge one for Bid Day

Quote:
That is so cool! You're so lucky to have so much Kappa heritage in your family!

My younger sister is probably going through recruitment this Spring, and if she goes Kappa (so far, that would be her first choice if she did rush) I would LOVE to pin her at Initiation. My Big's stepmother secretly flew all the way from Arizona to Maryland to be at her Initiation a few years ago - she didn't even know she was there until Initiation began. It was really special for her.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
They are, aren't they? The sister who baked them got a big recognition at chapter meeting, along with a gift for all her hard work. She's an amazing baker!

We're trying to convince her to do the badge one for Bid Day

That is so cool! You're so lucky to have so much Kappa heritage in your family!

My younger sister is probably going through recruitment this Spring, and if she goes Kappa (so far, that would be her first choice if she did rush) I would LOVE to pin her at Initiation. My Big's stepmother secretly flew all the way from Arizona to Maryland to be at her Initiation a few years ago - she didn't even know she was there until Initiation began. It was really special for her.
Having my sister at my initiation is one of my absolute best Kappa memories.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.