GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,643
1 members and 1,642 guests
Titchou

Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Dealing with Recs, ugh i know!

I believe a question was just posted similar to this, but mine is for the other side of the fence.
When sending my resume, transcripts, & pictures to the lady I've contacted for a recommendation through the local panhellenic alumnae, what do I do next? If she choses to write a rec for me, how will I know? And will I have to send it to the chapter or will she? Because I read on GC that after I send her my materials that I should stay out of it.

And to just throw another question in, I will be rushing in the fall at a Texas school, I'm aware that I'll be needing recs, but should I get one for each chapter, or is that too much?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM08 View Post
I believe a question was just posted similar to this, but mine is for the other side of the fence.
When sending my resume, transcripts, & pictures to the lady I've contacted for a recommendation through the local panhellenic alumnae, what do I do next? If she choses to write a rec for me, how will I know? And will I have to send it to the chapter or will she? Because I read on GC that after I send her my materials that I should stay out of it.

And to just throw another question in, I will be rushing in the fall at a Texas school, I'm aware that I'll be needing recs, but should I get one for each chapter, or is that too much?
The local alum will forward it on to the appropriate chapter. You may or may not know if she sends it unless one of you two follows up with the other.

Just a suggestion...when sending it to her, think of it as sending a resume. Indicate that you will follow up in one week to see if she has received it and if she has any further questions. Beyond that, I wouldn't press her other than to thank her for assisting you.

It's no secret what is on the recs. All of the Panhellenic websites have their recs posted for the members to print out.

Since you are in Texas, and I won't ask what school, I would recommend you get them for as many chapters as possible. Most Texas schools are competitive, and this will give you an edge with during recruitment.
Good luck.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Try to get at least 1 rec for each chapter. Although some GCers may argue that there is no such thing as "too many recs", if you have 3 quality recs, you can stop there. "Too much" would be more than 3 for each chapter, particularly if they all say the same thing. If there are alumnae who know you in different contexts, (i.e. a teacher, a family friend, a woman from your place of worship if that applies to you) it is good to get a rec from each so the chapters can get a more complete picture of you. Even one quality rec is better than 10 recs from alumnae you don't know.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IWhen sending my resume, transcripts, & pictures to the lady I've contacted for a recommendation through the local panhellenic alumnae, what do I do next? If she choses to write a rec for me, how will I know? And will I have to send it to the chapter or will she? Because I read on GC that after I send her my materials that I should stay out of it.
Hi! I write dozens of recs each summer and fall. I would simply wait a few weeks and follow up with a thank you note/email as well as offer to send any additional information if needed. I rarely receive thank you notes, for the many, many girls I have helped over the years. I think they just kind of forget about it once they get to school. I don't blame them. But I think a nice thank you note would serve 2 purposes. One, to acknowledge your appreciation, and two, to remind anyone who still needs to send the rec out for you. It would make a positive impression on me if I were writing the rec for you! Keep in mind, these ladies may have anywhere from 10-100 recs to write aside from yours. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 AM

Be patient. If you're rushing in the fall, you have PLENTY of time. Keep in mind that the sorority alumnae you're in contact with are usually writing recs for multiple PNMs.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

definately write a thank you. and definately try for one rec. per chapter. depending on the texas school, it can be helpful to have a couple of letters of support from other alumnae that will enhance the rec.