GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,319
3 members and 2,316 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

We had Heart sis and Big/little

Heart sis was much like SigKapBling's except that you would often get the girl who preffed you as your heart sis the first week. Then a different girl each week.

Then you listed the girls you'd want as your Big (but didn't know until a revealing of some sort)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I so win this game I think.

I started with a heart sis, then after pledging in, you get your big (mine posts on GC which is pretty damn cool, I had no clue till afterwards. Love you Big!), then we do Secret Sigma, where you're left clues up until I-week before the revealing. Finally, we did do mother/daughter, which is sort of like the big/little pref listing. You don't find out your mom until I-week either. Now they've changed mom/daughter to Sigma/Kappa, which kinda made me mad because it was considered a divide between new members and initiated sisters, which I don't agree with.
So...
Heart sis
Big sis
Secret Sigma
Mom/Sigma.

No wonder I was inundated with so many gifts! Oh yeah, there was a spending cap on mom/daughter gifts too. Moms can only spend $150 tops on their daughters.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 10-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post

I started with a heart sis, then after pledging in, you get your big (mine posts on GC which is pretty damn cool, I had no clue till afterwards. Love you Big!), then we do Secret Sigma, where you're left clues up until I-week before the revealing. Finally, we did do mother/daughter, which is sort of like the big/little pref listing. You don't find out your mom until I-week either. Now they've changed mom/daughter to Sigma/Kappa, which kinda made me mad because it was considered a divide between new members and initiated sisters, which I don't agree with.
So...
Heart sis
Big sis
Secret Sigma
Mom/Sigma.

No wonder I was inundated with so many gifts! Oh yeah, there was a spending cap on mom/daughter gifts too. Moms can only spend $150 tops on their daughters.
And that's why the UMASS chapter rocks like they do!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Goodness!! This certainly has become the hijacked "Sigma Kappa" thread now hasn't it?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

So...
Heart sis
Big sis
Secret Sigma
Mom/Sigma.

we have something like that, secret sigma, but its the secret senior - you get one your "senior" year, or whatever year your going through order ... you get one sister to pair up with a senior and they give her gifts all semester long.. its so sweet. and at the end you reveal yourself to the senior at order i believe?? its so much fun

haha yeah i noticed that too.. its become the "what kind of ??/?? does your sigma kappa chapter have"!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBean View Post
Goodness!! This certainly has become the hijacked "Sigma Kappa" thread now hasn't it?
Sigma Kappa FTW!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 10-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Another main issue that causes drama with big/little is as many of you have said, the spending.

My chapter is doing a spending cap this year of $200 (this does not include big/little shirts). We also have a list of required items this year (lettered totes, lavalieres, and badge boxes), so that every girl gets these main items and doesn't feel left out.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

How are spending caps enforced? Do the girls have to show the receipts from their purchases? And does everyone strictly keep to these limits? I mean, is it unheard of for bigs to give their littles gifts "behind" the chapter's back and is this approved of?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
How are spending caps enforced? Do the girls have to show the receipts from their purchases?
This is our first time doing a spending limit, so I think the VP is asking that we turn in receipts.

I'm sure it's not unheard of for people to give more just not in front of the chapter.

This is our first time using a limit so we shall see how it works.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait, you have Big Sis's and Mom's? I don't get the difference?

We have violet sisters (which seems to be what all the other SK chapters call heart sisters). You get one on bid day and get a new one after a bit - supposedly. I had 2, and but this years nm's only have one.

and big sis's and the whole family that goes with that (Gbig, aunties, cousins, twins, etc etc).
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapCoug View Post
Wait, you have Big Sis's and Mom's? I don't get the difference?

We have violet sisters (which seems to be what all the other SK chapters call heart sisters). You get one on bid day and get a new one after a bit - supposedly. I had 2, and but this years nm's only have one.

and big sis's and the whole family that goes with that (Gbig, aunties, cousins, twins, etc etc).
You get your big straightaway and then you pick your mom/Sigma, who gives you your paddle/first set of letters etc.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
You get your big straightaway and then you pick your mom/Sigma, who gives you your paddle/first set of letters etc.
As a NM you get a paddle???

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
As a NM you get a paddle???
No, I meant, instead of waiting your entire NM period to find out who your big is, you wait to find out who your mom is instead. Then, right after initiation, you get your letters and paddle and other cool stuff from your mom. NMs, in turn, make their moms a pillow.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
No, I meant, instead of waiting your entire NM period to find out who your big is, you wait to find out who your mom is instead. Then, right after initiation, you get your letters and paddle and other cool stuff from your mom. NMs, in turn, make their moms a pillow.
We don't get a paddle after we get in. We get a paddle when we get a little (the little makes it for thier big), if we are NME, or President, and that's it.

My chapterh as done paddle exchanges over winter break also, but as far as I know we were one of two GLO's on my campus to do so.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
How are spending caps enforced? Do the girls have to show the receipts from their purchases? And does everyone strictly keep to these limits? I mean, is it unheard of for bigs to give their littles gifts "behind" the chapter's back and is this approved of?
When I was an undergraduate my chapter didn't have a spending cap and things were insane. The semester that my friends and I all took lil's we went NUTS! In retrospect, I spent entirely too much money, and I was probably in the middle of the pack.

Now the chapter has a spending cap for each Initiation. They enforce this by reimbursing for it. And yes, in order to get reimbursed for anything, you'll have to provide a receipt. For the most part this helps make things more equal and the members tend to stick to it. The amount includes enough to buy gifts for the week and the cost of a sweatshirt.