GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,189
1 members and 1,188 guests
No Members online

Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
^^^ I’m always curious when a chapter moves “off campus” and is still recognized by their Hdqtrs. Does this affect their ability to get insurance since they are no longer under the guidelines of the university and its risk-mgt. guidelines?
When field reps visit chapters, the Greek advisor or dean gives them an evaluation of the chapter, their official GPA, etc. All that can be applied to their chapter standing with their Hdqtrs. including awards and scholarships. And can sororities still pair with non-recognized groups for campus events?
Maybe I’m reading too much into these situations—and I know campus guidelines are often a pain in the ass—but is cutting yourself loose a valid idea?
I think that as long as the chapter follows the risk-mgt. guidelines of their organization, they are still covered by the insurance their organization has.

It was announced today that Sigma Chi has closed the chapter at Iowa State University. The chapter was under a revitalization plan that the members failed to adhere to.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:41 AM

I think it also depends what the housing situation on the campus is. If the worst thing that happens is losing your suite that 10 members lived in, it’s going to be way easier to flip the school the bird than if you were giving up a 60 person gorgeous mansion.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I think that as long as the chapter follows the risk-mgt. guidelines of their organization, they are still covered by the insurance their organization has.

It was announced today that Sigma Chi has closed the chapter at Iowa State University. The chapter was under a revitalization plan that the members failed to adhere to.
That's a shame, they just built a new house two years ago.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:06 PM

The University of Arizona chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been closed due to "health and safety" reasons.

The East Carolina University(NC) of Alpha Phi has been suspended while under investigation.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Extension on Twitter says Baylor and the University of Wyoming are open for extension.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Sorority Extension on Twitter says Baylor and the University of Wyoming are open for extension.
The University of Colorado-Denver has also opened for its first NPC organization.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Did the planned ZTA colony at the University of Saint Francis in Illinois never materialize? I know there were colonization efforts, but they aren't listed on the ZTA website and the colony recruitment website links to social media that doesn't exist.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Also open for expansion is the New York Institute of Technology-Old Westbury; not to be confused with the State University of New York-Old Westbury which is also open for expansion.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon will be colonizing at SUNY Farmingdale this fall.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

XiDelt, do you have any additional information on the opportunities at the University of Wyoming? I looked up the Panhellenic and the campus has two local groups. Do you know if either of these groups is petitioning to affiliate with a national or if the expansion for a totally new group? Has the University offered housing options for a new group? The "fraternity mall" area seems like a wonderful opportunity for a group to be able to join - but is this being offered? Thanks for whatever information you have.

Last edited by LaneSig; 07-10-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I accidently hit "edit" instead of "quote". I have made no changes to BetaIotaDZ's post.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
XiDelt, do you have any additional information on the opportunities at the University of Wyoming? I looked up the Panhellenic and the campus has two local groups. Do you know if either of these groups is petitioning to affiliate with a national or if the expansion for a totally new group? Has the University offered housing options for a new group? The "fraternity mall" area seems like a wonderful opportunity for a group to be able to join - but is this being offered? Thanks for whatever information you have.
I’m not sure where you’re seeing two locals on their FSL website-Phi Sigma Rho is a STEM major-focused sorority and Sigma Alpha is an agriculture-focused sorority. Both are national organizations distinct from Panhellenic groups.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I'm sorry I don't have any additional information. I just read the tweet from Sorority Extension.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
Is it okay if I answer? :-)

There are currently 3 empty houses and 3 plots available for housing. The University is committed to renovating the empty houses and will work with a new group (or groups) to either take over one of the renovations or in new building.

The Panhellenic council is also switching recruitment from a series of weeknight activities to one weekend. With this switch, the University and Panhellenic is expecting an increase in numbers.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It appears that Alpha Epsilon Phi at Minnesota is no longer on the University Panhellenic website, does anyone know if that chapter was closed? They were struggling with recruitment last fall.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you each for your answers on my University of Wyoming questions. It is good to know that the University wishes to rebuild more options for a Greek experience on that campus. The fraternity mall area is an amazing layout, I hope it is appreciated.