GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,882
4 members and 1,878 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A Televised Recruitment

I'm going through recruitment at a competitive school, and I thought it would be fun to post my story!

Background: I don't consider myself to be pretty or by any means skinny, so I definitely had my concerns about that going into recruitment. I do have perfect grades, great community service experience, and recommendations for all but one house. I went into recruitment with an open mind as well. I could care less about rankings, I just wanted to find a great sisterhood with many philanthropy opportunities that could possibly serve as a home away from home because I'm from so far away.

There are 16 sororities participating in formal recruitment. I will name them after TV shows because after a long day of parties, all I want to do is crawl in bed and watch TV!!

Twin Peaks
How I Met Your Mother
Desperate Housewives
The Bachelor
Hell's Kitchen
Revenge
Millionaire Matchmaker
Arrested Development
Greek
The Walking Dead
Parks and Rec
Modern Family
Friends
Law and Order
Mad Men
Chelsea Lately

*There are also two other NPC sororities, but neither participate in formal recruitment. I was also very interested in these going in because despite negative "tent-talk" about them, they seemed like amazing organization that I might really enjoy being apart of!

Stay tuned for Day 1: Ice Water Teas
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 1: Ice Water Teas

Today was hot and humid, destroying all the effort I had put into doing my hair and makeup. Thankfully, I had a bag full of everything you could possibly think of and was able to remedy the situation. We visited 7 out of the 16 houses today.

Twin Peaks - Being from out of state, I had no idea what to expect. After spending what felt like an eternity lining up in alphabetical order, the front door of the house swung open and a group of meticulously stacked girls began to perform (scream?) their door song. Once inside the house I was passed off to about 4 different girls until finally I was seated on a couch. The bumps continued throughout the twenty minute party. I felt out of place because everyone in the house seemed to be a gorgeous size 00. Although all of the girls I talked to were really sweet, they seemed kind of condescending and much more interested in what was going on around them than what I had to say. I left this house unimpressed, and I began to regret my decision to participate in recruitment.

How I Met Your Mother - I was apprehensive about going to this next house.
If the first house was an accurate representation of what Greek life is like on my campus, I wasn't so sure it was for me. My thoughts were definitely affected by the fact that I was hot, emotional, self-conscious, and incredibly homesick. I decided to continue though and was pleasantly surprised with this house! As I listened to the door song and then walked through the house I was greeted by girls of all shapes, sizes, and looks! I talked to one girl during this party; she was really genuine and easy to talk to. Maybe Greek life IS for me!

Desperate Housewives - Feeling much better about the whole process, I was excited for me next party. I liked this house, everyone I met was really nice. I didn't get the same spark that I got with How I Met Your Mother though.

The Bachelor - This house was the same as Desperate Housewives - average. I liked them, but I didn't love them. I talked to quite a few girls here, and while they were really nice, the conversations were a little awkward.

Hell's Kitchen - Although I had only been to four houses, it had been a long and tiring day. I had a really hard time making friends with my Rho Chi group because it seemed like they all had their group of friends from either high school or their dorms. I even ended up eating alone for half of lunch. I tried to keep my spirits up, and I prayed that I would find a house I had the same connection with as How I Met Your Mother. The next house was SOOOO loud. It took me a while to regain my hearing after leaving. However, I really liked the house. I talked to two girls who were both really nice and easy to talk to.

Revenge - I LOVED this house. I talked to the nicest girl who was involved in the same charity that I was. Talking to her made the party fly by, and I was sad to leave and end our great conversation!

Millionaire Matchmaker - This was the last house of the day, and I was exhausted. I loved the layout and organization of their party, but the the conversation I had with one of the girls was got a bit awkward at times. I would classify this house as "average" as well.

End of Day Thoughts:
I really enjoyed going to the parties at each house, the breaks and lunch... not so much. Also my roommate and I were faring well either; she had a bad attitude and seemed to have an issue with everything I did or said. I started to regret going to far away from home. I missed my family, and didn't fit in with the people or the culture here. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't think it would be this hard.

Next Up - Day 2: Ice Water Teas
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2: Ice Water Teas

I dragged myself out of bed and began to prepare for day 2 of sorority recruitment. I was exhausted emotionally, physically, and mentally, but I did my best to keep a positive attitude and make a good mark on each of the sororities today!

Arrested Development - I liked this house. I enjoyed talking to the girl who rushed me, and I was happy there were no bumps. However, I didn't LOVE the house yet.

Greek - This house was another really loud house. I couldn't hear anything the girl was saying. I wasn't a huge fan of their organizational structure where two actives talked to two PNMs. It was difficult because the other PNM came from a very interesting place, so I was kind of left out of the conversation.

The Walking Dead - Although I went into rush with an open mind, I wasn't oblivious to the rankings of most of the houses. This is considered a top house and is highly sought after. Unlike the other houses, we didn't stand or sit to talk. Instead, the girl who rushed me walked me through the house, while attempting to make conversation. It was difficult and often times awkward. (Note: There is a rumor that if you touch the railing while walking down the stairs at their house, then you will be cut.) As we reached the stairs the girl who was rushing me stopped and looked at me very seriously and said, "You can touch the railing if you want." I'm not sure if she was simply reassuring me or testing me, but I touched the railing because A.) if the rumor was true, I didn't want to be in a house that cut me for such a superficial reason and B.) I wasn't about to fall down the stairs. The girls were nice and the house was beautiful, but overall, this house made me feel uncomfortable.

Parks and Rec - This house was great! I loved the first girl I talked to. She was really intelligent and interesting. We were having a great in depth conversation until she bumped me to one of her sisters. At first I was nervous because the first thing the girl told me was that she wasn't "the smartest." However, as we continued talking, I realized how genuine and nice she was. She even asked me to tutor her haha. At the end of the party she made sure she remembered my name, which I interpreted as a good sign.

Modern Family - I really liked this house. I talked to three girls there, and they were all really nice!

Friends - This was another loud house. I couldn't hear what the girl rushing me was saying, so I ended up embarrassing myself by giving answers that had nothing to do with her questions! She laughed it off though, and I enjoyed the rest of our conversation. Multiple actives came up and introduced themselves as well. I loved this house overall!

Law and Order - This house was great. All of the girls seemed like a great balance between smart and fun! I still have their door song stuck in my head.

Mad Men - This house was great. I absolutely LOVED it! I talked to two girls at the same time here, and we actually talked about things other than the typical where are you from, what's your major, why did you come here... I knew what their philanthropy was and was very interested in it, so I asked a question about it. They told me they would tell me about it tomorrow. I took this as a sign that I might be getting invited back!!

Chelsea Lately - This house was just OK. I liked the girl I talked with, but I just felt there was no real connection.

Voting: At the end of today, our Rho Chis took us to rank the sororities. We were instructed to rank our top 12 in no particular order, and then rank our bottom four from 1-4 (1 being most want to return to and 4 being least want to return to). I had done a lot of thinking about how I wanted to rank the sororities. I wanted to pay attention to both how I felt about the sororities and their rankings/reputations on campus. I knew I was not an ideal candidate and did not have that great of a chance at top tier sororities that only took a few OOS students every year. It just so happened that most of the sororities I didn't feel a connection to were these "top" sororities. My ranking ended up looking like this.

1. Chelsea Lately
2. Greek
3. The Walking Dead
4. Twin Peaks

Next Up - Day 3: Philanthropy
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3: Philanthropy Day (morning)

I woke up this morning, and began to get ready, keeping my phone attached to me. I was waiting for the phone call from my Rho Chi telling me that I had been dropped from recruitment. Suddenly my phone bleeped, making me jump halfway across the room. The screen displayed the words "1 NEW MESSAGE FROM RHO CHI." I was so nervous to open it... When I did, a wave of both relief and dread came over me. It said, "We haven't received the schedules yet! Parties will be pushed back an hour! Still be waiting for a call! xoxo Rho Chi." So I wasn't released yet, but I still could be.

I was happy when I arrived at sorority row at the recently adjusted time, and had not yet gotten a phone call! However, my happiness soon disappeared when the Rho Chis informed us that they had still not gotten the schedules and the parties were now postponed for another 2 hours. I headed back to my dorm, anxiously awaiting the phone call.

2 hours later I had still not received a phone call, so I began to head back to sorority row once again. However, after two minutes of walking, it started pouring. I dashed back to my dorm as quickly as I could, where I got a text from my Rho Chi saying "hey ladies! because of lightning we have to push back the parties another 3 hours. but all the calls have been made! see you soon." I was so excited to still be in recruitment, and I was eager to see my schedule! The wait might just kill me.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

looking forward to the rest of your story....
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3: Philanthropy Day (evening)

Six hours after I was initially supposed to see my schedule, I was finally able to see which houses asked me back! On philanthropy days PNMs can have a total of 12 houses. I opened my schedule and saw:

Day 1:
Millionaire Matchmaker
Law and Order
The Bachelor

Day 2:
Mad Men
Modern Family
Hell's Kitchen

Even though I only had 6 houses, I was so excited! To me it seemed like a lot, and I really liked all of the houses I got asked back to. I was a little disappointed I wasn't asked back to Revenge, Parks and Rec, or Friends, but I got over it really quickly as I shuffled off to my parties!

Millionaire Matchmaker - During Ice Water Teas, I just liked this house, but during Philanthropy Day I fell in love. They had an amazing presentation and set up (not to mention drinks ). The girl I talked to was great, and everyone seemed really passionate about their philanthropy, a cause that I had been associated with during high school! I LOVED it!

Law and Order - This house had a great philanthropy and an amazing presentation about it. I really enjoyed it. However, the the first girl I talked to was really quiet so we had kind of an awkward conversation. The second girl I talked to was more outgoing and we had a nice conversation about their philanthropy. My leg fell asleep during the presentation, so I stumbled a little walking out... so embarrassing! The second girl did make sure she knew my last name though as I walked out; I'm not sure how to interpret that though.

The Bachelor - I really liked this house. They were really energetic and passionate about their philanthropy and seemed to have a great sisterhood. I talked to two girls, and I thought I had good conversations with both of them!

End of Day Thoughts: I was over the moon in love with Millionaire Matchmaker. I had a much better day, and finally met a friend. I took this as a sign to hang in there and that things were going to get better. Now I can finally start to see why people think recruitment is fun! Philanthropy days are great!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4: Philanthropy Day

Today I woke up excited to start the day! I had philanthropy day parties with two of my favorite sororities from the previous round, Mad Men and Hell's Kitchen.

Mad Men - This was my absolute favorite sorority from Ice Water Teas, and I was so excited to go back! I love their philanthropy. I have a very personal connection to it. However, I was a little bit disappointed because the girl I talked to did not seem as passionate about their philanthropy as the girls I met in other houses. The conversation was a little awkward, and she seemed disinterested. I still liked this sorority though because I know one girl does not represent the whole house!

Modern Family - I enjoyed this house; I got to talk to quite a few girls. At first I wasn't very interested in their philanthropy, but after there presentation, I really wanted to be apart of it.

Hell's Kitchen - I liked this house as well. I had three really great, smooth conversations with some of the girls. I felt like I was talking to old friends. I liked that their presentation was brief, and instead they had the girls tell you about their personal experiences with the philanthropy.

Voting: Voting was really easy for me tonight. We had to rank our top 8 sororities in no particular order. Since I only had six, I had no trouble ranking at all! If I had to rank them in order though, this is what it would have looked like:

1. Millionaire Matchmaker
2. Hell's Kitchen
3. The Bachelor
4. Modern Family
5. Mad Men
6. Law and Order
Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 5: Skit Day

This morning was spent staring anxiously at my phone, waiting for the call saying I had been dropped from recruitment. Thankfully, it never came. I headed down to sorority row to meet my Rho Chi and get my schedule. I was excited because I thought I had had good conversations at most of parties and hopefully made a good impression on the sororities. Although I was praying for a schedule with 6 parties, I was grateful to still be in the running at all. It seemed like there had been a LOT of girls who were either dropped from recruitment or dropped out. Our Rho Chi group seemed to be shrinking.

Finally my Rho Chi handing me my schedule, and I opened it eagerly:

Millionaire Matchmaker

Wow. I only had one party left. All of the other chapters dropped me. At first I was shocked and hurt. I had been feeling good about myself after the last round, but this just came as a blow to me. I felt worthless and bad about myself. I wished I looked a different way, I wished I was better at making friends, I wished I hadn't even come here at all. I know I should not have felt this way over a sorority, but when you put your heart and soul (not to mention countless hours obtaining recommendation letter and shopping for new outfits) into something and do nothing but eat, breathe, and sleep it for a week, rejection really hurts.

Thankfully, I didn't have a party today, so I had time to go back to my dorm and recuperate. After much thinking, praying, and talking on the phone to my mom, I realized that the sororities who dropped me were missing out, and that I still had one that wanted me. I LOVED the one sorority that still wanted me. I realized so many girls only had houses they didn't like left or had none at all! I was blessed. I was nervous, but also excited for the party tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Millionaire Matchmaker! We're rooting for you krtxo - you have a great attitude!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 6: Skit Day

Today I had my first, last, and only skit day party! Saying I was nervous would be a complete understatement. I knew being nervous would just make things worse, but I felt like I was putting all my eggs in one basket, and I wanted Millionaire Matchmaker to like me as much as I like them!

Millionaire Matchmaker - I had a GREAT time at their party. The girl who was rushing me and I shared a very unique (at my school at least) common bond. I was so excited! They took me on a tour of their beautiful house and then performed a really fun and funny skit! We talked a lot about their sisterhood and social activities. I felt like we really hit it off. I'm so glad I still LOVE them, because I've talked to many girls whose minds have changed about a house in a negative way!

In just a few hours I will rank my top three, which for me will just be Millionaire Matchmaker. Tomorrow morning I will wait for a call from my Rho Chi saying I was released from recruitment. I'm praying I don't get that call, because if I don't I'm going to preference night at Millionaire Matchmaker. Because of mutual selection at my school, that means I'm guaranteed a bid to Millionaire Matchmaker. I'm so excited, nervous, eager, anxious, and every other emotion under the sun. There's nothing I can do now but wait and pray!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
This story reminds me so much of my formal recruitment experience. I ended up ranking only one sorority too. But, as you can see, you only need one
Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Dying to hear what happens! That's so insane that your parties were pushed back so far on day 2! But I'll have my fingers crossed for Millionaire Matchmaker since you do LOVE them! Best of luck! Keep us posted <3 ehugs
Old 08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, sweetheart. I am so praying you make it to Pref!!!

I'm on pins & needles waiting for your next post.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

we're ready!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the theme and wishing you luck!!