GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,668
1 members and 2,667 guests
Sarak24034

Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
Cardinal, I hate to break it to you but this is a preview of your life if you let them get by with this. H and I paid for our wedding b/c I knew my Mom is a control freak and would turn it onto her wedding and not mine. FYI this woman will also be telling you where you will be spending every Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of her life. Besides, if she pays for this you will be "beholding" to her forever, which is exactly where she wants you. Run, run run to the courthouse or a destination wedding and come back and tell her you did it and if she throws a party, fine, but the wedding will always be yours with your memories. Just my 2 cents.

I think you're right - the first time I ever had second thoughts about this marriage (not really - 8 years, and our relationship is perfect!!) but was when I was thinking about how they're my family now. I'm going over there this weekend to convince them to let me make the invitations and programs I wanted, and pick the colors...I think I'm just going to make my fiance do all the talking.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post
I'm going over there this weekend to convince them to let me make the invitations and programs I wanted, and pick the colors...I think I'm just going to make my fiance do all the talking.
I find it really sad that you have to convince someone to let you have what you want for your wedding. Hope it works out for you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Cardinal. Don't let your fiance do all the talking. Please Please Please for your sanity make sure they understand how you feel. If they aren't willing to be reasonable then tell them to enjoy their party, but you nor your fiance will be attending. Then feel free to marry as you please. If you don't they will be running your life...straight into the ground.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
My go-to gift - Deluxe Spicy Wedding - www.penzeys.com I always get ravs about it!

As far as one gift, or several - if the several are related I think that's good.
Those spices look awesome. What a great gift!

I went with a place setting & set of servingware for one couple and 6 boxes of different everyday bareware for another. Their note includes the word "cheers!" of course
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post
My fiance did - and they were very clear that they didn't feel that the wedding I envisioned was going to be adequate for their family and friends, and that now that they got to pay for it, it was important that they host an affair that would be "good enough" for their side.

The reason I say that its too late to back out is because he actually asked - if we said "thank you so much for your offer, but we feel that this is not quite what we had hoped for, and rather than have you spend so much money on an event that isn't really 'us,' we think we'd like to go to the courthouse afterall." His father said that it would be a huge slap in the face to MIL and him, and wasn't really up for debate - they have people already planning on coming.

It sounds like something out of a terrible $.99 novel, lol - at this point, I just want to hurry up and get it over with.
I have a suggestion. It is RADICAL and really really impertinent.

GO TO THE COURTHOUSE BEFORE THE SCHEDULED DATE. Bring your witness and GET MARRIED THE WAY YOU WANT. You will have your way with your REAL anniversary the way you wanted it for the rest of your lives. Then you can do the "play acting" for the in-laws and it will take the stress off of you because the really important part (your marriage) is already taken care of.

Seriously, do it NOW. Don't tell anyone but your witnesses.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofages View Post
I have a suggestion. It is RADICAL and really really impertinent.

GO TO THE COURTHOUSE BEFORE THE SCHEDULED DATE. Bring your witness and GET MARRIED THE WAY YOU WANT. You will have your way with your REAL anniversary the way you wanted it for the rest of your lives. Then you can do the "play acting" for the in-laws and it will take the stress off of you because the really important part (your marriage) is already taken care of.

Seriously, do it NOW. Don't tell anyone but your witnesses.

Good idea.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
dear wedding invitations:

Why are you either a) hideous with pictures of castles and bells and other weird crap, or b) far too expensive to justify your existence? Don't make me have to desktop you!

-Phoenix.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I am making my own invitations that are pocketfolds. That's really only because all of my family is OOT.

You may want to check out seal and sends, they're also very popular, not sure about the designs.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
I am making my own invitations that are pocketfolds. That's really only because all of my family is OOT.

You may want to check out seal and sends, they're also very popular, not sure about the designs.
I wanna do that! Invitations are so expensive and I make flyers and brochures at work all the time so I figured why not the invites too? How do I go about it though??
Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I am ordering the pocketfolds from cardsandpockets.com. You can also order the inserts pre-cut from them as well, we're still debating them.

I think people have done the designs in word, powerpoint, etc depending on difficulty and how much you want.

I do everything in adobe illustrator, with editing in photoshop or photoshope elements. About the only good thing from my last job was getting more knowledge of graphic design. I've made some monograms for us, designed our save-the-dates, and am currently working on the invite design which will have a maple leaf watermark on everything.

There are a lot of brides on theknot who have made them for their weddings. I would look under the "making it personal" board in some of those bios for ideas.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally forgot about the Knot - thanks!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy crap! I'm playing on Publisher 2007 right now and I can TOTALLY make my own invites! YESSSS! So centerpieces AND invites will be home-made. More money for food/booze/honeymoon!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I'm on the "Making it Personal" board a lot. There are tons of really talented ladies on there! I haven't moved to invitations, etc. yet, but I make monograms! :-) (if anyone is interested)...here are some of my favorite ones that I have made:

Other samples here: http://deltagammacj.googlepages.com/home

I'm sorry these are so big...if everyone posts that it's annoying, I can delete them.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

gift ideas..

A close college friend of mine just got married... they pretty much just eloped .... I have no idea what to get them. They've been living together for the last 5 years, so it's not like they are registered for anything...

any ideas??
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Anybody here do a Vegas wedding? I personally love Vegas (grew up in CA and it was our regular vacation spot). I think if I ever got married it would most likely be there.

My cousin got married there (at Caesar's Palace) and I know that all of the larger Strip-area hotels have on site wedding packages that even include a honeymoon suite for 4 nights for like $10,000-15,000.

There's no HUGE reception involved (maybe one for 50 or fewer guests), but if you're not looking to have some huge shindig and would rather spend 4 nights in the penthouse at Caesars rather than feed 200 of your relatives, I think it's a good deal.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-08-2008 at 11:51 PM.