GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,200
0 members and 1,200 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure that they're not going to college. The girls especially. We're talking about a 17-year-old kid that has said that when he is away from his family for a couple hours, he gets lonely. I don't think he'd function all that well at college.

I think he's taking online courses, though, so hopefully he'll still get a degree even if he's not stepping out of his comfort zone.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I'm pretty sure that they're not going to college. The girls especially. We're talking about a 17-year-old kid that has said that when he is away from his family for a couple hours, he gets lonely. I don't think he'd function all that well at college.

I think he's taking online courses, though, so hopefully he'll still get a degree even if he's not stepping out of his comfort zone.
Even with online courses, how is this kid gona get a job if he can't even be away from him family? The more I think about this the more I start to feel like it's kind of emotional child abuse. If a 17 year old boy can't even leave his house for a few hours without his family, these kids are going to be scarred for life once they get out into the world. And if they don't, they still need to support themselves somehow.

Since obviously procreating is important to the parents, I'm assuming they want grandchildren. Are they going to trade their children off with other families like this? How are they even going to meet anyone? WTF?

KLTC
Old 10-15-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Not sure, but if I was a Female in this process, My Vigina would hurt!

Oh, and not to mention the Pocket book!

Who is paying the way for the slip and slide?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00

Since obviously procreating is important to the parents, I'm assuming they want grandchildren. Are they going to trade their children off with other families like this? How are they even going to meet anyone? WTF?
In the Discovery episode, they showed the family having "church service" in their home with another family with an ookabillion kids. The family had a daughter around the oldest boy's age. I wouldn't be surprised if they arranged marriages for all their kids.

Come on now, didja really think they were going to find people on their own? People 'not like them'?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Thumbs up Jinger!

Let's ask Maryanna if Jinger is a power name!

ETA: "Jinger" isn't listed! I'm shocked!
http://www.namepower101.com/first-names.htm

Last edited by LightBulb; 10-15-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, all I can say is that there is no way I'd ever be able to teach 16 kids. And if the older ones are teaching the younger ones, when do the older kids have a chance to work on their lessons?

Plus, as a psychology and family studies double major, blanket training doesn't fit too well with the ideas and information I've learned.

But maybe we're blowing this out of portion, otherwise the television networks would have noted the problems and brought them to the responsible authorities.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
It's not just Wisconsin.

This map will kind of spell things out:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

From just glancing at it, it looks like there are ten states that require absolutely no documentation or checking up whatsoever, and another 15 that have requirements similar to Wisconsin, but no testing. So right there, that's half the states that are similar or even more lax than Wisconsin.

California does not necessarily require testing, but the rest of the states you mentioned do. Pennsylvania has especially strict homeschooling laws. Regulations vary a lot from state to state and anybody who plans on homeschooling definitely should be doing their research based on their own state laws.

I will also mention that in some states, the testing can be bypassed if the student is enrolled in correspondence course-style schools (they aren't officially considered "homeschooled"). Some of these programs are pretty good and others, well, not so much.
This is intriguing - my friends in California have the most stringent testing, but it may because the one daughter has ADD. I've seen a lot of the forms that they have to fill out on a quarterly basis. Maybe the county can have more regulations than the state?

And strangely, according to the above map, the Duggars (in Arkansas) have the next-to-strictest regulations: States with moderate regulation: "State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress." That should be a cute trick to handle!

I used to know people in Kansas who home schooled, and o.mi.gosh, was THAT a complete disaster!! The child involved is now 20, should be having her third child by now, and can't support herself - her parents have separated, and she & her mother (& the kids) are living in a trailer. Oy. But that's the only really bad example that I personally know of home schooling.

If you think about it, most of us had ancestors who were home schooled, so it's hardly a new concept. It's the computer age that makes it more feasible, or beneficial, in some cases.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by _Q_
They're also linking to http://www.visionforum.com/ , which had some extra-special stuff. They have "The All-American Boy's Adventure Catalog" that sells toy guns, slingshots, and a charming book called "Backyard Ballistics." The girls' collection seems to have a lot of dolls. One quote: "Fathers and sons can work together using How to Build Treehouses to construct a fort the whole family can enjoy and the little girls can use to hide in while their brothers play at defending them from the approaching enemy."
The whole "About Vision Forum" section is pretty scary too: http://www.visionforum.com/about/
whoa - the title of that website should be "how to brainwash your children"
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, I'm kinda glad my parents gave me the chance to pay with whatever I wanted. These toys keep children in strict gender roles. Imagine if one of the girls wanted to play with the "Backyard Ballistics" game or one of the boys wanted to play with the dolls. It would all be over.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
another family with an ookabillion kids
<hijack>
Wow - I have a new favorite word. I'm going to try to use "ookabillion" in a sentence sometime this week.
</hijack>
Old 10-16-2005, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Re: Jinger!

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb
Let's ask Maryanna if Jinger is a power name!

ETA: "Jinger" isn't listed! I'm shocked!
http://www.namepower101.com/first-names.htm
<hijack>
She lives in the next town over from me. My sister went to camp with one of her daughters, and the two of them were pretty good friends. Their original last name was Kowalkiewicz. The daughter's name was Katie but she now spells it Kaytee.

</hijack>
Old 10-17-2005, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
small world

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
She lives in the next town over from me. My sister went to camp with one of her daughters, and the two of them were pretty good friends. Their original last name was Kowalkiewicz. The daughter's name was Katie but she now spells it Kaytee.
She probably changed it to "Kaytee" because her mom doesn't have a profile on that spelling yet.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

According to this Maryanna woman my life will pretty much be crap because of my name. WHATEVER
Old 10-17-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember when I first heard about his family two years ago. The Discovery Channel and some magazine were doing stories about them. My grandmother (a mother of 15) and I watched it. She laughed through the whole thing. She said there were many things that were very 'unrealistic' about their lifestyle. They're either putting up a front, or the kids are truly brainwashed.

I don't see anything wrong with some of the things, and I'm inclined to agree with what the honey's (honeychile and honeykiss) have said. My mother, number five, was in charge of taking care of one of her younger siblings as well. Not raising him, but morning and bedtime rituals. For gramma, it was all about accountability. They all went to public school too...which gramma couldn't believe this woman didn't want her kids out of her hair even a little bit! I saw two specials (one recently) as well, and I don't remember seeing anywhere that the older kids were responisble for the education of the younger. I remember a 'school' session, and then breaking up for tutorin or individual lessons...which is done in many schools as a 'mentoring' program.

I don't think the children or parents can be faulted completely for quirks here and there. The boy who's lonely...that happens...you have a house full of people and then you're alone? you're going to be lonely! HELL, I'm a little lonely right now because my son is napping! One more thing, when my parents got married, my mom was preparing their first meal together at their new house. Mom made a roast and prepared a TEN POUND bag of potatoes. She was used to cooking for an Army! I guess I can just see both sides of this.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
I think this is my favorite article on the Duggars. And not just because of the pictures that accompany it.