GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,201
3 members and 1,198 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig

Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Woman reports rape at Eastern Michigan University fraternity house

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...t_eastern.html

"Annas said she told police she went to the bathroom in the Kappa Omega Alpha house in the 100 block of North Normal Street and four men were inside - including one she had been "affectionate" with earlier. The lights were turned off, and the woman told police she was groped and sexually assaulted by one of the men, Annas said. The woman said that when the lights were turned back on, just one man was still in the bathroom, Annas said."

"Fraternity members shut the party down and ordered everyone who didn't live there out of the house, Annas said. He said fraternity members were cooperating with police."

Sounds to me like the woman put herself in an unsafe situation. The fraternity seems to be taking Pro-active mesures according to a new report I just saw on TV.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoAlphaPsi View Post
Sounds to me like the woman put herself in an unsafe situation.
[sarcasm]Yeah she knew the risks when she went to the bathroom.[/sarcasm]
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

One would think that mlive would get the fraternity name right, wouldn't one? As noted in the comments section of that article, the fraternity is Kappa Phi Alpha, which is a local at EMU. This is my alma mater. Lambda Chi Alpha was just shut down in January. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...d=127471405709 (link provided)
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard about this case, but never got the chance to read the article.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to easy2fall4aDZ
They cancelled our Greek Week because of this. I don't think we should be punished for their mistakes. I do not want them to be associated with Greek life at EMU, they make us look bad.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy2fall4aDZ View Post
They cancelled our Greek Week because of this. I don't think we should be punished for their mistakes. I do not want them to be associated with Greek life at EMU, they make us look bad.
It's been a rough few years for Greeks at EMU. Is Arm of Honor still around?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to easy2fall4aDZ
They still exist, but they're not a respectable chapter. We don't view them as part of our greek community.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy2fall4aDZ View Post
They still exist, but they're not a respectable chapter. We don't view them as part of our greek community.
Some things don't change, even in 25 years. I remember when your chapter was an interest group though!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
OldladyDZ

AGDee......I was a ZTO and founding re-charter member of Delta Zeta when we brought it back in the early 90's. ZTO was a great group of girls....and we were thankful to bring a chapter back that continues to flourish today!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Very cool I was our Chapter Advisor in the early 90's, then our Finance Advisor. I remember when both your chapter and AST came back!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like the woman put herself in an unsafe situation. The fraternity seems to be taking Pro-active mesures according to a new report I just saw on TV.
It is NEVER okay to place the blame for sexual assault on the victim. Please educate yourself.

If your wallet was swiped, would it be reasonable for the police to ask "Why were you walking outside at night?" or "What were you doing at that bar in the first place?"

Absolutely not.

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g...omb/myths.html
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not clear, but it sounds like she knownly walked into a bathroom with four men in it.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyelizabeth7 View Post
It is NEVER okay to place the blame for sexual assault on the victim. Please educate yourself.

If your wallet was swiped, would it be reasonable for the police to ask "Why were you walking outside at night?" or "What were you doing at that bar in the first place?"

Absolutely not.

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g...omb/myths.html

Sorry if you misunderstood, I was in no way blaming the victim.

I just ment that, if she knowingly went into the bathroom, drunk, with 4 drunk guys, maybe someone should educate her. It's not a very smart idea. When going to parties, girls should never leave eachother alone. And you should never go into rooms alone with guys you don't know -- even if you DO know them, you need to be super cautions when alcohal is involved

In no way did these men have the right to touch her, to assault her, to attack her. But she could have been smarter than to go into the bathroom with 4 drunk guys....
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyelizabeth7 View Post
Yes.

"Victim precipitation" is not the same thing as victim blame. It is used in the criminal justice and legal systems, research, and policy.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just ment that, if she knowingly went into the bathroom, drunk, with 4 drunk guys, maybe someone should educate her. It's not a very smart idea. When going to parties, girls should never leave eachother alone. And you should never go into rooms alone with guys you don't know -- even if you DO know them, you need to be super cautions when alcohal is involved

In no way did these men have the right to touch her, to assault her, to attack her. But she could have been smarter than to go into the bathroom with 4 drunk guys....
I agree. The problem is that misinformed people think that neutrally highlighting opportunity and facilitating factors for crime puts the ball in the victim's court rather than in the perpetrators' court. What it really does is explain victimization and criminal opportunity.