GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,451
0 members and 1,451 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Rushing as a Sophomore

I'm a sophomore at a private Southern school and contemplating rush this year. My mother and some of her sisters were all in Sorority A, which has a chapter at my school. Ideally, I would love to be able to maintain a legacy, though, of course, I understand that Sorority A might not be the best fit for me, etc.

I rushed last year as a freshman -- my school has six chapters, and just began to colonize another chapter this fall. Anyways -- going into rush, I didn't really have much of an idea about any of the sororities, so I treated all of them with the same respect. However, I didn't try my best as far as physical presentation goes; my clothes didn't fit right, in all honesty I was pretty haphazardly put-together though I did manage to keep conversations going at all of the houses, not have awkward or stilted conversation, etc.

Anyways, the second round of rush, I was invited back to 3 houses (the max was 4 I think), one of which was Sorority A. This was something I was extremely excited about; the conversation I had there was pretty stilted however and a little bit awkward -- the sister I was talking to could not have been more disinterested, either in the process or in me I would guess.

The other two houses I was invited back for I wasn't as thrilled about I guess mostly because one of them, Sorority B, was trying to makeover their reputation on campus, and as such had a big emphasis on partying, going out; I had also had lunch with some of the girls from Sorority B a couple of times before rush and we truly did not have much in common (I'm a pretty talkative person as it is haha). Sorority C was the last one I was invited back to on the second day -- in all honesty I spent most of my conversation at Sorority C gossiping about friends I had in common with the sister I was talking to.

Third round, I was cut from Sorority A and Sorority B -- surprisingly, I was invited back to Sorority C despite what I understand now to be kind of a no-no on the conversation front. I'll admit I was pretty disappointed to have been dropped from A and so I decided to drop out of rush, partly because I wasn't really sure if greek life was right for me or not.

I know girls from Sorority A and B who are often quite friendly though unfortunately I still don't know anyone from C (I guess we just don't run in the same circles). In retrospect I'm sorry I didn't take rush more seriously -- I've also given it a lot of thought and truly think greek life would be right for me!

Basically what I'm trying to decide is, as a sophomore, whether or not it would be worth it to go through rush again. I do know of at least 6-7 sophomores who recieved bids last year. None of the sororities at my school are having informal recruitment events (they all met quota). Ideally I would love to have the chance to join Sorority A though I do like just about all of the sororities on my campus, for the most part!
Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I will just say what everyone else is either thinking or will respond to you: No one can tell you if it is worth it to you or not. You can only decide if you want to go through recruitment again. You seem to have thought about what might have prevented you from succeeding last year. If you are willing to make the changes and accept the outcome, then go for it and best of luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed ^^^

You might as well give it another shot since you at least recognize what might have gone wrong. Understand that being an upperclassman might affect you negatively this time around, but go in with a positive outlook.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautehippie61 View Post
I'm a sophomore at a private Southern school and contemplating rush this year. My mother and some of her sisters were all in Sorority A, which has a chapter at my school. Ideally, I would love to be able to maintain a legacy, though, of course, I understand that Sorority A might not be the best fit for me, etc.

I rushed last year as a freshman -- my school has six chapters, and just began to colonize another chapter this fall. Anyways -- going into rush, I didn't really have much of an idea about any of the sororities, so I treated all of them with the same respect. However, I didn't try my best as far as physical presentation goes; my clothes didn't fit right, in all honesty I was pretty haphazardly put-together though I did manage to keep conversations going at all of the houses, not have awkward or stilted conversation, etc.

Anyways, the second round of rush, I was invited back to 3 houses (the max was 4 I think), one of which was Sorority A. This was something I was extremely excited about; the conversation I had there was pretty stilted however and a little bit awkward -- the sister I was talking to could not have been more disinterested, either in the process or in me I would guess.

The other two houses I was invited back for I wasn't as thrilled about I guess mostly because one of them, Sorority B, was trying to makeover their reputation on campus, and as such had a big emphasis on partying, going out; I had also had lunch with some of the girls from Sorority B a couple of times before rush and we truly did not have much in common (I'm a pretty talkative person as it is haha). Sorority C was the last one I was invited back to on the second day -- in all honesty I spent most of my conversation at Sorority C gossiping about friends I had in common with the sister I was talking to.

Third round, I was cut from Sorority A and Sorority B -- surprisingly, I was invited back to Sorority C despite what I understand now to be kind of a no-no on the conversation front. I'll admit I was pretty disappointed to have been dropped from A and so I decided to drop out of rush, partly because I wasn't really sure if greek life was right for me or not.

I know girls from Sorority A and B who are often quite friendly though unfortunately I still don't know anyone from C (I guess we just don't run in the same circles). In retrospect I'm sorry I didn't take rush more seriously -- I've also given it a lot of thought and truly think greek life would be right for me!

Basically what I'm trying to decide is, as a sophomore, whether or not it would be worth it to go through rush again. I do know of at least 6-7 sophomores who recieved bids last year. None of the sororities at my school are having informal recruitment events (they all met quota). Ideally I would love to have the chance to join Sorority A though I do like just about all of the sororities on my campus, for the most part!

The only person who can determine whether it's worth it is YOU.

You may get a bid, you may not. We don't know.

It's worth a shot, just be aware that rushing again doesn't always = a better result.

Alot of times, girls think that if they rush again, they'll end up being invited back to chapters that dropped them last year. That is not always the case.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-27-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Do what you wish but be prepared for a similar result. If chapter A released you as a legacy last year, they may likely do it again. No one can say for sure what your sophomore year results will yield until you go through recruitment.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback -- I also have one additional question; I did get recommendations for all of the chapters on my campus last year, but would it be worth it to get additional ones? Or do the chapters keep them on file?

Last edited by hautehippie61; 09-28-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

They may get rid of them after the process, so it's probably best to have them all resent, just in case.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback -- I also have one additional question; I did get recommendations for all of the chapters on my campus last year, but would it be worth it to get additional ones? Or do the chapters keep them on file?
If you got them last year, I'd get new ones for this year. I highly doubt that chapters hold on to last years recs. Better safe than sorry!

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd get new recs. Also, since we have so many threads along this line, I think I'm not the only one who will be interested to hear how it goes.

Just please remember that some girls are better at conversation than others so go gentle when judging how well you "clicked." All the girls will think they clicked with the same houses because those houses have girls who are just better at recruitment chatter. That does not make them a better house.

I hope it goes well for you. It sounds like you have a good attitude going in. Have a good time!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Get new Recs! You want the Chapters to have an updated resume and transcript. The Chapters will want to know what you have been doing lately, not what you did a year ago.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Also -- am I likely to be dropped again where I was before? I've heard that in a lot of cases, the girls will remember you...I'd just hate to go through all of it and not be given a second chance at any of the houses because they had dropped me previously.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Also -- am I likely to be dropped again where I was before? I've heard that in a lot of cases, the girls will remember you...I'd just hate to go through all of it and not be given a second chance at any of the houses because they had dropped me previously.

Every chapter is different and since we aren't members of those chapters, we don't know whether they're more likely to cut you a 2nd time or not.

We also can't say whether you'll be remembered. You might be.

They may invite you back. They may not.

I always tell PNMs not to expect a slate of invites from chapters that dropped them, just so they're prepared.

I will say that if you are at a competitive school, being a sophomore may be an issue.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-12-2009 at 06:27 PM.