GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,246
1 members and 1,245 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Digging the 80s pic, and the 90s pic is filled with girls who remind me of the show on Nickelodeon from the early 90s, Hey Dude.

And I mean no disrespect here, but it strikes me that the girls in the photos from the 80s and 90s (vs. VioletPretty's picture) look much older even though I know they'd be the same age as the NMs we see today. I don't know what it is, y'all just look more mature, more adult than the PNMs today. Like, if I saw a girl from the 80s pic vs. a girl from say, Bama's rush this year, I'd have little difficulty believing that the Bama NM was fresh out of HS, whereas I don't get that vibe from the 80s pic. Does anyone else get that feeling, or is it just me?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
My mom's bid day (I think it was bid day, it was taken the first year she joined DG - 1968), so it's either bid day or whole chapter?) - she's circled:

My bid day (sorry, I had to take a picture of a picture, it was too big to scan!). I'm right smack in the middle, facing forward with a light blue shirt and black skirt.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

White Daisy...please fix your pix...I can't wait to see them! I agree with Mystikchick, PNMs today do look younger, but I think it's because the hairstyles you see in each generation look like an older generation so the girls look older. I see people starting med school now, and I think they look like babies compared to what my class looked like!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree. These were the days of Dallas and Charlie's Angles. A lot of it was the hair styles and the way we dressed.

Today, everyone has very straight hair (thanks to flat irons) and clothes are more fitted. That includes me, in my 40's.

In the 80s, not even high school girls wore their hair straight; only young children wore it that way. And mini skirts were barely over your knees.

Also, today's college girls (not only girls in sororities) are more influenced by the media. They are thinner and wear a lot more makeup than we ever did.

About the green floral wallpaper...we had sofas and love seats to match. They had just remodeld the informal living room before I pledged and everyone thought it was the coolest house!!! Maybe that is why the interior of my house is a neutral mocha color now.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
My mom's bid day (I think it was bid day, it was taken the first year she joined DG - 1968), so it's either bid day or whole chapter?) - she's circled:

My bid day (sorry, I had to take a picture of a picture, it was too big to scan!). I'm right smack in the middle, facing forward with a light blue shirt and black skirt.
Awwwww. So sweet! You two look so much alike!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikchick View Post
Digging the 80s pic, and the 90s pic is filled with girls who remind me of the show on Nickelodeon from the early 90s, Hey Dude.

And I mean no disrespect here, but it strikes me that the girls in the photos from the 80s and 90s (vs. VioletPretty's picture) look much older even though I know they'd be the same age as the NMs we see today. I don't know what it is, y'all just look more mature, more adult than the PNMs today. Like, if I saw a girl from the 80s pic vs. a girl from say, Bama's rush this year, I'd have little difficulty believing that the Bama NM was fresh out of HS, whereas I don't get that vibe from the 80s pic. Does anyone else get that feeling, or is it just me?
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to say it! I think it's because only women who are at least 35, maybe 40 have hairstyles like that. I think the 90s girls look about the same as mine (if not younger because of the bow in that girl's hair )
Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Unregistered-

I have to agree. CJ, you look so much like your mom! How wonderful that she was able to share DG with you.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
You two look so much alike!
I was thinking the same thing. You look like twins pledging the same chapter! I remember the pic you posted of your initiation. Very sweet.

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 08-05-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
White Daisy...please fix your pix...I can't wait to see them! I agree with Mystikchick, PNMs today do look younger, but I think it's because the hairstyles you see in each generation look like an older generation so the girls look older. I see people starting med school now, and I think they look like babies compared to what my class looked like!
Can you not see it? I think they are working.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't see them this morning at work, WhiteDaisy, but I can now! They are so cute...I love your mom's bid day pic. They didn't get bid day shirts?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll bite - I'm in the very top row, first one on the left next to the girl with the really big and curly hair.

Gotta love midwinter in the Midwest - we didn't get our bids until mid-January! That explains the flannel shirts for the most part...then again, it was the mid-90s and flannel was all the rage thanks to Pearl Jam and Nirvana!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I couldn't see them this morning at work, WhiteDaisy, but I can now! They are so cute...I love your mom's bid day pic. They didn't get bid day shirts?
I'm not sure bid day shirts were given back then...I just don't know enough about the late 60's! I wish I could ask her...I haven't seen matching shirts in any of her sorority pictures, so I'm guessing no.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM

This isn't my pledge class, but is 2 years before me. 1985 Iota Chapter of AOII - University of Illinois.

And this is the year I pledged, but it is the seniors. Bid Day 1987 University of Illinois.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to get my Father's College year book from the 50's. I'll grab it in a few weeks when I visit and scan some pretty good pictures.

That is where we get into the stereotypes. I remember lots of sororities wearing white gloves (and pearls, of course) in their group picts.

Keep the pictures coming.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
For Shame!! NO sorority woman would have been caught dead in a t-shirt prior to the late 1970's!!

Well, except on the rare Homecoming, Greek Week, or Derby Day t-shirt. The rest of the time, never!

I should dig out some of the old yearbooks my mother has and show those photos - they're really a hoot!