GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,378
0 members and 1,378 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2000, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Challenges of Voting

Due to the extremely close race between Gore & Bush right now, I'm just a little curious how difficult it was to vote. I live in a predominately black voting district in Maryland and waited for over an hour to vote. There's been reports that many people were discouraged and turned away. I experienced the complete opposite during the last two elections. I lived in predominately white voting districts then. I've also heard reports of unusual checkpoints being placed by police near polling locations... It all just makes me wonder. No matter what the outcome, I know that many people will scream CONspiracy. What was your experience?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2000, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a white, 22 year old female, I live in a town of 1,400 people. I was very easy for me to vote. I waited about 10 minutes. I made it to the polls at a little before 6 pm. I was home by 6:15. (the poll was less than a mile from my house) Although, you mentioned the police in strange areas, there was construction at a HUGE intersection right on my way home. It was new construction, put up yesterday. I also didn't see the point of the construction either, the road at that area was perfectly fine. The traffic was backed up for about 8 miles. It took me 15 minutes to get a mile and a half. So I found a turn around place and ended up taking a lessor known backroad. So I ended up beating a crowd. I guess someone COULD see that as a conspiricy to keep people from making it to the polls before they closed (they closed at 7:30 in my state).
Old 11-08-2000, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Jeez, just to think about that is creepy. Well, where I live, there were pretty much no lines anywhere. Due to the fact the neighborhood is pretty much only students and those associated with the two universities, one predominatley white and one predominately black, the racial make up of this area of town is very mixed. Without the students here, however, the locals are mostly black. I didn't have to wait at all. No line, no more traffic than usual. And I am in the state that was going to make or break the election (Fla) -- so if there was any place to try to curb minorities, it was here.

But I could believe it. I don't want to. But I can.
Old 11-08-2000, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I live close to the University, and my polling place is the university parish of the Catholic Church. I walked in and walked in less than 10 minutes, no for ballots or anything. This was at about 5 in the evening.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 11-08-2000, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

You might find this interesting....
http://www.naacp.org/communications/...VoterFraud.htm
Old 11-08-2000, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

We had MAJOR lines here. It took me about 2 hours to get through the line and vote, and the polling place is about 1/2 mile from campus
Old 11-09-2000, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Im a california absentee voter. It took me less than 30 seconds. I walked into city hall, walked right by the LONG line that wraped around the corner of the hallway, handed my ballot to the official happy ballot guy, and went on my merry way. I'm in San Francisco.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theXgirl:
Im a california absentee voter. It took me less than 30 seconds. I walked into city hall, walked right by the LONG line that wraped around the corner of the hallway, handed my ballot to the official happy ballot guy, and went on my merry way. I'm in San Francisco.
How can you vote absentee if you are at the polling place on election day? I had to go in early to vote absentee.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 04-03-2001, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, this is old but I know the answer, Corbin. It is because if you are in the locality, you can hand deliver them. It is used for college students. YOu can come home for the weekend or whatever and hand deliever them.

------------------
YUM YUM BUMBLEBEE
BUMBLEBEE TUNA
I LOVE BUMBLEBEE
BUMBLEBEE TUNA
YUM YUM BUMBLEBEE
BUMBLEBEE TUNA
LOVE A SANDWICH MADE WITH BUMBLEBEE
Old 04-03-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

right, but this sounds like she went in on election day, which is not a weekend, and delivered an absentee ballot. In Indiana, I think the only way you can get an absentee ballot is if you are going to be out of the county on election day, and they are due several days before the election.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 04-03-2001, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Eh, Corbin,

Out here in Crazy Killer Californication, even God and the Devil are registered to vote...

I absentee all the time 'cuz it's easier that way. Moreover, you can turn it in the polling place the day of 'cuz it's like that out here... I guess it is the Sunlight and folks don't mind forgetfulness too much. It is just another ballot to put through the pregnant chaded machine...
Old 04-03-2001, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I posted earlier put it didn't take. It varies from state to state. What I meant to say, was that its like you go home, like you would for a weekend, just on election day, not the weekend. I mailed mine in though. But here in my state, at least in my county you take it to the county office, not the polling place.