GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,491
3 members and 1,488 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down "I'm rushing 'for' a certain chapter"

What is with all these girls lately who say they're "rushing for" a certain chapter"? I see it all over Facebook and PNMs even tell me that in person. Most whom I personally know haven't even met the members, they just like the webpage or the rumors or the colors.

Folks, that's not how NPC sorority recruitment works. Even if you do know some of the members of a certain group, nobody can guarantee that you'll get a bid; they know a lot of other girls too. The way it works at competitive schools is that you go to the parties and it's pretty much in the hands of the members from there on out, even if you're a legacy.

Also, if members see you announcing on FB that you will only accept bids from Awesome Alpha or Bodacious Beta, you are likely dead in the water. Please take notice!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

TESTIFY!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

and oh, what long memories we have....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
What is with all these girls lately who say they're "rushing for" a certain chapter"? I see it all over Facebook and PNMs even tell me that in person. Most whom I personally know haven't even met the members, they just like the webpage or the rumors or the colors.
I've known lots of PNMs like this. The difference is that they have a louder method to broadcast than PNMs 20+ years ago. Yay social media, killer of dreams and permanent record of stupidity.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Yay social media, killer of dreams and permanent record of stupidity.
Best quote ever.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Yay social media, killer of dreams and permanent record of stupidity.
So so true!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
What I don't understand is lack of discretion in general. Like, if I am interviewing for a new job, I don't go running around telling everyone that I am going to work for whatevercorp, or if I go out with a new guy once, I don't post his name everywhere. I know we talk about how many PNM's are top students, cheerleaders, pageant queens, whatever, but surly they have, at some point in their life, not gotten something they wanted.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i think part of it is simply not knowing how recruitment works. There are many PNMs who are totally clueless and have no idea what goes on. Some of them legitimately think they have to choose one in the beginning.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll give them a pass for wanting to join a group based on the colors. At least it's not based on gossip.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember a few years back when my oldest was going through recruitment and she joined a FB group for girls interested in Recruitment. First mistake was the Admin didn't make it private and current members joined to scope out the PNM's. Second mistake, many girls posted " I'm rushing XYZ or PDQ only.

I have also had several requests for Recs where the girl says, " I'm only interested in the atrianglepis." Big, Big mistake, Huge!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I often wonder if the PNMs who do this are from a large sorority population or a small population. A large one where many people go greek and have opinions from that or small where they know nothing except the things the lone ABC in the community has said about groups.

I only really knew two members of NPC sororities and had little opinions about the others since they didn't say anything about other groups. On the other hand, if they had said "oh DEF is awful" I probably would have listened as I had no clue before GC.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 PM

Sidenote: if you want a good laugh (or to just be mortified at how ill-informed PNMs are) Twitter search "sorority rush" or "sorority recruitment" during recruitment season.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Sidenote: if you want a good laugh (or to just be mortified at how ill-informed PNMs are) Twitter search "sorority rush" or "sorority recruitment" during recruitment season.

I just did that now, just for funsies, and found the following that made me laugh.

and also this:

Hijack over.

This happens at my school more than you would expect. I remember during fall recruitment a girl telling me she was an in house legacy to ABC and so she was only interested in them. She was going to be an ABC, or she was going to keep trying till she got it. And in the spring, there is a lot of "I only went to XYZ's party because other sororities suck"
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to go on and say as well that a lot of Freshmen don't know what we know. At all.

I came from a non-Greek family. I straight up told another fraternity that I was rushing SigEp. Whoops. But I had absolutely no idea that that was taboo. I never had to prove myself to join an organization. We also didn't have Meet the Greeks or anything along the lines when I rushed.

Ignorant? Sure. I wouldn't say stupid, though.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
I'm going to go on and say as well that a lot of Freshmen don't know what we know. At all.

I came from a non-Greek family. I straight up told another fraternity that I was rushing SigEp. Whoops. But I had absolutely no idea that that was taboo. I never had to prove myself to join an organization. We also didn't have Meet the Greeks or anything along the lines when I rushed.

Ignorant? Sure. I wouldn't say stupid, though.
Fraternity rush is COMPLETELY different. Completely. Announcing you were only interested in one fraternity is not on a par with announcing you are only interested in certain sororities. As you point out, you were able to participate in a far more informal and unstructured recruitment. The way sorority recruitment works punishes pnms who are ignorant or foolish in a way fraternity recruitment does not.